Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Multiple Wordpress (Static) Websites?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Multiple Wordpress (Static) Websites?

Hello everyone,

I've been using shared webhosting for my 10 Wordpress websites for SEO oriented projects for the past year and I feel the websites getting slower. I've contacted my hosting provider and they told me that I'll need a upgrade soon (VPS or DS). But their prices are high, really high.

Since I'm getting about 2000 hits per day (~20000 in all) what kind of VPS would I need?

I've tested Vultr (2CPU + 4RAM) for one of the websites, and I can tell it's a huge difference but I'm not sure if I can host multi websites using their 1 click install wp option (please let me know if I actually can!)

I've been told that I need atleast 4GB RAM + 4 Cores, is this correct or it's just the provider trying to upscale me?

Can you guys give some advice?
Thank you so much!

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2018

Just a detail, WordPress ≠ Static.

To actually answer your question, use something like RunCloud with the VPS. 20k hits per day is not a large number. Using a caching plugin such as WP Super Cache on your sites will also increase the performance.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2018

If it's mostly static (eh) you shouldn't need 4 cores for that traffic. What type of caching do you have if any? It'd be best to whip up Nginx and use CloudFlare. If you get a VPS, do you need a control panel or are you confident with CLI?

• You can use cloudflare for cdn :)
    Also I have read about reviews of caching plugins recently and iirc "Cache Enabler" came out on top^^

• KytroKytro Member
    edited April 2018

@FHR said:
    Just a detail, WordPress ≠ Static

I understand that, all articles are converted to HTML using a cache plugin, only the home page get's deleted if I update it or an article.

But I've always used WP since I got a lot of SEO tools

@MikeA said:
    If it's mostly static (eh) you shouldn't need 4 cores for that traffic. What type of caching do you have if any? It'd be best to whip up Nginx and use CloudFlare. If you get a VPS, do you need a control panel or are you confident with CLI?

CLI is alright, I can learn on the way if needed.
    I've tried Centminmod in one small DigitalOcean droplet (1GB RAM & 1vCore), I can still see a big difference from Vultr, but it might be because I have more power with Vultr?

I understand that I don't need that much, but what about memory? Not familiar with WP setup or requirements, I see a lot of info. on the web but they're not specific.

@Ympker said:
    You can use cloudflare for cdn :)
    Also I have read about reviews of caching plugins recently and iirc "Cache Enabler" came out on top^^

I actually use cloudflare atm and sure it helps but I guess the problem is with the 'shared hosting' that I have.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Kytro said: I understand that I don't need that much, but what about memory? Not familiar with WP setup or requirements, I see a lot of info. on the web but much specific.

The good part about "cloud" providers like Vultr is that you can scale as you go, meaning you can pick a small plan and if it's not enough, upgrade to a bigger one.

I would actually start at 1GB and go up.

• heh heh SEO tools.... heh heh.

• KytroKytro Member

@FHR said:

Kytro said: I understand that I don't need that much, but what about memory? Not familiar with WP setup or requirements, I see a lot of info. on the web but much specific.

The good part about "cloud" providers like Vultr is that you can scale as you go, meaning you can pick a small plan and if it's not enough, upgrade to a bigger one.

I would actually start at 1GB and go up.

I'll try Centminmod or easyengine, I've been searching and I understand that I can actually host multi wordpress websites. I might even get a VPS from one of the providers here at LET who knows!

@AlyssaD said:
    heh heh SEO tools.... heh heh.

I don't get it honestly...

• emghemgh Member

Buyvm restocks tomorrow. Get a VM, get ubuntu & install easyengine. If you're a frequent targrt to network attacks, get a filtered IP. That's it.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

How big are the sites? You talking a couple dozen posts/pages per site or like thousands of posts?

• It depends what plugin/theme you are using. Some are coded by pigs and consumes a lot of resource

Thanked by 1mikho
  • bapbap Member
    edited April 2018

have you tried fastcgi-cache? plus.. cloudflare?

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited April 2018

If its static go for webfaction. They have nginx, no hard limit on RAM and CPU on shared plans. They have 256 GB RAM, 40 core/thread CPUs with fair-usage limit.

OR

Get a litespeed webserver shared host. I'm hosting (with a UK host) my 15 wordpress sites which are dynamic each having 10K+ posts, with average 12000-15000 page views per day on litespeed server + LS cache + memory cache on 2 GB RAM, and 1 CPU core. I'm hitting max 1.2 GB RAM and 85% CPU that too when my broken-link-manager plugin crawls my entire WP sites with GET requests. Else the CPU has less than 60% usage. Plus use "cache everything" on cloudflare which almost reduces entire load on host server.

It's common for provider to upscale novice users. I've been advised to use fancy cloud vps and even VDS/Hybrid for dynamic WP sites costing about $50-$70/month. But with right optimization, lite-weight plugins/themes, using SSD/NVMe and caching on memory (memcached/redis/op) etc. you can save much more money! No need to invest and manage complex VPS - and that too for a static wordpress site!

• JarryJarry Member

@Kytro said:
    I've been told that I need atleast 4GB RAM + 4 Cores

4cores & 4gb ram for static web with ~20k hits/day is overkill. You'd better check first where your bottleneck is or you might end up with your web on the new dedi/vps as slow as it was on the old one...

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

If you are willing to spend 10 usd per month with us, we will install and optimise everything for you.

Thank you

Thanked by 2Foul pullangcubo
  • pullangcubopullangcubo Member
    edited April 2018

@drserver said:
    If you are willing to spend 10 usd per month with us, we will install and optimise everything for you.

Will this service be upon setup only or on a regular proactive/reactive management service? Because if it's the latter, that's one hella of a great deal! ^^

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Out of curiosity, why not just spin up a Vultr VPS, install either RunCloud or Serverpilot on the VPS, then create WP Installs from there?

• imokimok Member

You don't probably need a VPS yet. I've been able to run a 826k+ hits per month website in shared hosting without major problems. I have LiteSpeed + W3 Total Cache on CrocWeb.

Ramnode should be able to do the same, and they offer LiteSpeed Cache which should be better.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

pullangcubo said: Will this service be upon setup only or on a regular proactive/reactive management service? Because if it's the latter, that's one hella of a great deal! ^^

we will setup once, if there would be need for future interventions we will provide service on a best effort basis. But full monitoring and NOC awareness is included in the price.

However if you do something and bring sites down, what will not be covered with original SOW there may be additional charges.

This is tailor made service which requires discipline, however you are getting great results out of it.

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • easyeasy Member

Don't forget he got a lot of seo tools or plugins?

• KytroKytro Member
    edited May 2018

@imok said:
    You don't probably need a VPS yet. I've been able to run a 826k+ hits per month website in shared hosting without major problems. I have LiteSpeed + W3 Total Cache on CrocWeb.

Ramnode should be able to do the same, and they offer LiteSpeed Cache which should be better.

I'm gathering some information on several providers, I might try drserver since they have good prices but I'm currently learning to use some tools to do everything manual using a VPS.

@easy said:
    Don't forget he got a lot of seo tools or plugins?

Correct, but only 2 plugins for SEO and other for cache nothing to fancy to be honest.

I want to thank all of you for all the advice, I'm currently learning my way on Centminmod, it doesn't seem that difficult (until I screw up) and I might give runcloud.io or Serverpilot a try. It seems easy to setup but not sure about the features.

I got 3 websites up on a small Vultr VPS (1CPU + 1GB) and they are working amazingly fast using Centminmod + cache, but Vultr has really low bw, guess I've gotta find a good offer around here ;)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Kytro How much do you need?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Kytro said: I want to thank all of you for all the advice, I'm currently learning my way on Centminmod, it doesn't seem that difficult (until I screw up) and I might give runcloud.io or Serverpilot a try. It seems easy to setup but not sure about the features.

I got 3 websites up on a small Vultr VPS (1CPU + 1GB) and they are working amazingly fast using Centminmod + cache, but Vultr has really low bw, guess I've gotta find a good offer around here ;)

Centmin Mod also has auto wordpress installer in centmin.sh menu option 22 with is locked down tight for security and performance. Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 version offers redis nginx level cache, key cdn cache enabler or wp super cache out of box for wordpress auto installer as well as additional security benefits i.e. https://community.centminmod.com/threads/wordpress-dos-attack-flaw-security-cve-2018-6389.13969/

For Centmin Mod learning 2 links to start off with.

If you're using Cloudflare in front of Centmin Mod Nginx, be sure to set up Cloudflare Authenticated Origin Pulls to prevent IP leaks https://community.centminmod.com/threads/setting-up-cloudflare-authenticated-origin-pulls-protecting-ip-leaks.13847/

If you want to boost Centmin Mod Nginx and PHP-FPM performance by another 20-40% https://centminmod.com/perf/ :)

And if it isn't obvious yet, to learn more about Centmin Mod LEMP stack, you want to join the community forums https://community.centminmod.com/ ;)

So enjoy and happy learning ^_^

Thanked by 21allen Kytro
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited May 2018

Kytro said: . I've tried Centminmod in one small DigitalOcean droplet (1GB RAM & 1vCore), I can still see a big difference from Vultr, but it might be because I have more power with Vultr?

Vultr std VPS will beat DO std droplets due to cpus used. For Centmin Mod usage, check out community forum's dedicated and vps hosting sub forums as I post benchmarks and comparative benchmarks of nearly every dedicated server and VPS server I use with Centmin Mod https://community.centminmod.com/categories/web-hosting-system-administration.24/. From my experience Linode > Vultr > DO.

But Vultr has dedicated instances and DO has optimised droplets both of which would perform better than standard Vultr/DO instances as they use faster and newer cpus. I haven't gotten around to testing those yet but will post my results for my Centmin Mod users at https://community.centminmod.com/forums/virtual-private-server-vps-hosting.26/ ;)

Edit: oh and minimum I would go for would be at least 2 cpu thread/core based VPS especially if you intend to do any backups as there are many multi-threaded backup & compression tools out there that can leverage more cpu threads/cores. For example compression tools https://community.centminmod.com/threads/compression-comparison-benchmarks-zstd-vs-brotli-vs-pigz-vs-bzip2-vs-xz-etc.12764/

Thanked by 3elliotc Kytro bap