Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArubaCloud - what FTP alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ArubaCloud - what FTP alternative?

I am testing the EUR1/month ArubaCloud VPS. So far it's stable and fast. But they don't offer FTP access (they have that in more expensive packages).

What are my alternatives? Some sort of a file manager would be nice. I am running Debian + Easyengine.io in case that makes a difference. CMS is Wordpress.

Comments

• lemonlemon Member
    edited April 2018

Install FTP on your own or just use SCP. (= file transfer via SSH)

Then use a software of your choice, e.g. WinSCP or FileZilla.

Thanked by 3dergelbe Falzo FHR
  • use bitsive if you only need upload to files.

• @lemon said:
    Install FTP on your own

Doh! I thought FTP was generally blocked, but isn't. Sometimes the most obvious answer doesn't spring to the mind.

Here is what I did with success:

https://www.vultr.com/docs/setup-vsftpd-on-debian-ubuntu

• Even if ftp port (21) is blocked on some providers (I think this is rare), you can setup any ftp server to listen to any non-standard port. In fact, I have several ftp-sftp setups on NAT servers using any port I want.
    But, if it is for your own usage, prefer to use sftp via the installed ssh server. You don't need to install anything extra, just toe openssh server you already have to your vps. If you don't want to use root/password method, then, use bitvise sftp client to use your keys to login to the server.

• get filezilla connect to your server via sftp. profit!

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • I use the €1/month VPS, and I can connect via SFTP with no special setup, I just use WinSCP. Any reason why you want FTP over SFTP?

• bapbap Member

+1 vote : filezilla via sftp or scp/winscp.

• If you familiar with FileZilla FTP Client, then you should have no problem managing your files remotely using SFTP. FileZilla has ability to connect either FTP or SFTP. Using SFTP is always considered as more secure method than plain FTP.

• It's all a misunderstanding. Support said FTP ain't supported. What the meant was, it's not installed by default. I installed it and it was fine.