Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maryland's health insurance exchange website is run on Wordpress !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Maryland's health insurance exchange website is run on Wordpress !

Maryland's health insurance exchange website is run on Wordpress!

I was curious how did they make WordPress responding so fast.

Comments

• makazemakaze Member
    edited October 2013

Looking at the page source:

Performance optimized by W3 Total Cache.

• W3TC and it looks like they're also doing some Varnish or something, too, because the Served at date in the footer isn't updating either.

• When tuned properly, even Wordpress can be relatively secure and fast. Perhaps they did their homework excellently.

• If you work hard enough (it's really not a lot of work), you can get W3TC serving your static content from cloudfront or another CDN and caching all of your pages for users not signed in right from disk/memory, with varnish sitting in front so even that won't get hit often. This has the effect of making nearly as quick as static content.

On the other hand, a bone stock WP install without caching and a few plugins will be slooooow and easily topple.

• I use W3TC before. It is so difficult to configure and not always working well for me

• Link please. I don't think google brought me to the right place.

• It might be because im in the UK but, it doesn't seem that fast.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited October 2013

@wych said:
    It might be because im in the UK but, it doesn't seem that fast.

By fast, I mean the site has under huge load at the moment and can still keep good loading time. But their backed system (which requires login), seems to me is using Java and an unknown database which is extremely slow. I was wondering is it a Java problem? For me, I have saw a lot of sites build using Java that cannot withstand high load. Or it is just because they did not do a good job optimizing data query?