Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how about FDC AMS network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how about FDC AMS network

anyone use FDC AMS servers?
how about fdc ams network
if do stream videos
is it good for Asia

Comments

• ZerpyZerpy Member

It's Cogent.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Premium COGENT.

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

Tier 1.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@music7698 said:
    is it good for Asia

Since it’s pure Cogent then no, not really. You’d be after something that includes NTT.

• @Clouvider said:

@music7698 said:
    is it good for Asia

Since it’s pure Cogent then no, not really. You’d be after something that includes NTT.

Or Tata/Airtel

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Cogent is the best

@boernd said:
    Cogent is the best

It's good for the specific use cases. There's no tier 1 that fits all use cases.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@boernd said:
    Cogent is the best

Yeah, especially with their IPv6 bullshit peering policy.

@FHR said:

@boernd said:
    Cogent is the best

Hm ? The one that specifies that they don’t ‘peer’ with their ‘Customers’ ?

• @Clouvider said:

@FHR said:

@boernd said:
    Cogent is the best

Pretty sure @FHR was being sarcastic, and referring to the peering between HE and cogent over ipv6.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@Clouvider said:

@FHR said:

@boernd said:
    Cogent is the best

The one that says "want to be reachable via Cogent? Pay us".

Try v6 pinging Google or anything single-homed to HE using their looking glass and you'll be surprised. Gotta love the "Destination unreachable: No route" message.

edited April 2018

Yeah, so does Liberty Global when you don't fit the conditions ;p.

Google pays for v4 and expects to bully them not to pay for v6. It doesn't work like that I'm afraid. This is still the same Internet just different network family I don't see why rules for peering should be different for v4 and v6.

Google could, of course, drop Cogent entirely and then later approach them to try to peer if they fit the requirements :).

Not that I'm against peering. I love peering. I just don't agree with the argumentation.

@Clouvider said:
    Yeah, so does Liberty Global when you don't fit the conditions ;p.

Google pays for v4 and expects to bully them not to pay for v6. It doesn't work like that I'm afraid. This is still the same Internet just different network family I don't see why rules for peering should be different for v4 and v6.

Google could, of course, drop Cogent entirely and then later approach them to try to peer if they fit the requirements :).

Not that I'm against peering. I love peering. I just don't agree with the argumentation.

The problem is that they're not Tier 1 in that case, as being single-homed to Cogent (or HE for that matter) won't give you access to the whole internet - even though they claim they are a Tier 1 network.

I wouldn't call them "best" if I can't reach parts of the internet through them, that's all.

edited April 2018

Tier 1 is not about reaching the whole Internet, that means not paying anyone for transit - and that's exactly what they do - Customer chose not to announce it on a session with them, Google presumably peers with others so they did not announce it to Cogent (no transit) hence it's not reachable. Cogent, by buying transit (a route to Google v6) from someone would become a Tier 2.

Everything can be best for various scenarios. Clearly they are not best for reaching Google over v6, but they might be a best carrier in different use case, like when you're on a budget and happy to sacrifice quality, etc. Best has many meanings.

@Clouvider said:
    Tier 1 is not about reaching the whole Internet, that means not paying anyone for transit

I'd like to disagree here. According to Wikipedia:

A Tier 1 network is an Internet Protocol (IP) network that can reach every other network on the Internet solely via settlement-free interconnection

What if the network explictly does everything to avoid being accessible via that particular carrier ?

Hypothetical. What if I create an ASN and peer with HE.net only, meaning He.net and their Customers are the only ones being able to access my network, and no one else. Does it make Level3, NTT, GTT and others Tier 2 automatically? I'd argue that it does not.

@Clouvider said:
    What if the network explictly does everything to avoid being accessible via that particular carrier ?

Hypothetical. What if I create an ASN and peer with HE.net only, meaning He.net and their Customers are the only ones being able to access my network, and no one else. Does it make Level3, NTT, GTT and others Tier 2 automatically? I'd argue that it does not.

If I just peered with HE, I would expect to be reachable only from their network - and that's okay.
    But let's say I don't peer with HE, I buy transit from them. I would expect to be reachable from everywhere.

@FHR said:

@Clouvider said:

If I just peered with HE, I would expect to be reachable only from their network - and that's okay.
    But let's say I don't peer with HE, I buy transit from them. I would expect to be reachable from everywhere.

Makes sense. And Google doesn’t. Google tries to force their IP4 transit to peer with them over IP6 which is why it is unreasonable.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@FHR said:

@Clouvider said:

HE is no Tier 1 carrier.

Thanked by 2Clouvider FHR

Agreed, replace he with anything else, the point still stands as long as this is a peering :-).