Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAT VPS as jabber server, can it work?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAT VPS as jabber server, can it work?

Hello

As title said, I am thinking about setting-up an jabber server just for chatting with my friends and to make our conversations more private, can it be run on NAT VPS without problems? and if yes, can anyone recommend an ultra low cost VPS just for that? I don't know what specs will be sufficient, it will be my first time doing such think and I don't have any experience with jabber stuff. It will be 4 - 5 accounts on it and I think max 3 online at the same time, so please give me some estimations about specs as well.

Comments

• kasslekassle Member
    edited April 2018

yes it can, just don't use openfire or tigase as it needs higher resources (more feature though)

if openvz ok, maybe @Cam can help.
    or @Neoon free vps ?
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/142808/nanokvm-free-nat-kvm-romania-finnland

Thanked by 1Cam
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2018

It can only if you are able to get port 5269 forwarded, otherwise server-to-server communication won't work reliably.

Also if your NAT VPS provides IPv6 it can work on that, but will only be able to communicate with other IPv6-enabled servers.

On the other hand, if your 4-5 accounts only ever need to talk to each other (and not to Jabber users elsewhere), then yes, it can work on any NAT VPS.

• Yes, it's possible. I was successfully running on 64 MB NAT VPS this server: https://prosody.im/download/start

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • According to my experience, ejabberd works fine as well. SRV records allow using arbitrary ports to establish federation/autoconfiguring clients, so NAT VPS isn't an obstacle.

• what about port speed or location? Is it matter here?

• Not really.

XMPP doesn't use all that much bandwidth unless you're dealing with voice which will require a range of UDP ports being opened up to process RTP media.

• What can I get now for about 25 eur / year? Preferably with IPV4, I never worked on NAT and...

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@marson said:
    What can I get now for about 25 eur / year? Preferably with IPV4, I never worked on NAT and...

Hetzner cloud

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • i have a 1GB ram VPS, trying to make prosody works nope doesn't