Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS with dedicated core
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS with dedicated core

doridiandoridian Member
edited April 2018 in Requests

I am looking for a VPS like the following:

Hypervisor: LXC or KVM

CPU: 1 100% dedicated core (3.4GHz or more, 4GHz+ would be nice) [for a Factorio gameserver, I need single-core performance]

RAM: 2GB

Space: 10GB (don't care if SSD or not)

Network/Traffic: Doesn't really matter, even 1TB on a 100MBit/s connection would be fine

Budget: $20 - $25 (maybe more for a really fast CPU core)

Comments

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

I could spin something up on our Vancouver cluster for $15/mo.

CPU: Single core on E56300 (2.53GHz) RAM: 2GB Disk: 15GB SSD 3TB on a shared 1gbps port Hypervisor: VMWare IPv4: 1 IPv6: /64

• @mikea has some fast-clocked stuff. Not sure about dedicated-ness or virtualization type.

• @doridian Recompile for ARM whatever you're doing and get a Scaleway baremetal C1 for 3EUR/month.

• doridiandoridian Member
    edited April 2018

@Janevski said:
    @doridian Recompile for ARM whatever you're doing and get a Scaleway baremetal C1 for 3EUR/month.

It is a factorio gameserver, I cannot recompile software I don't have access to the source code of (sadly?).

@freerangecloud said:
    I could spin something up on our Vancouver cluster for $15/mo.

CPU: Single core on E56300 (2.53GHz) RAM: 2GB Disk: 15GB SSD 3TB on a shared 1gbps port Hypervisor: VMWare IPv4: 1 IPv6: /64

Sadly that doesn't meet my requirement (3.4GHz per core are a hard minimum)

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Is it going to actually max out most of the core constantly? I'm pretty sure I've had people run Factorio and I never noticed after it was setup. Would save money to spend 48 hours to test on a normal VPS.

• doridiandoridian Member
    edited April 2018

@MikeA said:
    Is it going to actually max out most of the core constantly? I'm pretty sure I've had people run Factorio and I never noticed after it was setup. Would save money to spend 48 hours to test on a normal VPS.

Right now I'm at ~60-70% on a single 3.0GHz core (modern Intel CPU) on a headless server whenever at least 1 player is online.
    So it depends on what you mean with "maxing out constantly". It is me and a few friends playing, usually the server will have connections ~ 12 hours / day (of at least one person online) when it will pull that much CPU usage. The rest of the day it will idle (0-2% usage)

//EDIT: also the base is still growing, so this will likely increase, not decrease. That's why I'm asking for 3.4 baseline minimal

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @doridian Scaleway has baremetal x86 too starting from 12EUR/month, but i doubt they're clocked high.

The one other option, other than dedicated server that i can think of, is AbusiveCores from @drserver but they seem to be out of stock...

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Janevski said:
    @doridian Scaleway has baremetal x86 too starting from 12EUR/month, but i doubt they're clocked high.

Those are Atom C2750 cores.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • @FHR said:

@Janevski said:
    @doridian Scaleway has baremetal x86 too starting from 12EUR/month, but i doubt they're clocked high.

Those are Atom C2750 cores.

No wonder, meant for high density low power/heat.