Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

home network setup.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

home network setup.

hi all,

I am hoping to get some ideas, and my apologies, i hadnt search much before i posed this.
my current set up is home router (netgear r7000) - wireless to a extender (netgear ex6200) - cable to PC and HTPC and NAS

i experienced some lagging and few drops when i download to movie to the NAS on my PC.

Q1. if i download a movie, would the data go through to my router and back? (would this mean, bandwidth between router and wireless extender is the bottle neck?

Q2. if i change the network setup to router - switch - PC+NAS all on cables. would traffic still go through router if devices were trying to use data from NAS?

thanks for all your help

Sam

Comments

• The R7000 has a dual 2X1GHz processor. It can keep up with a home network.

• i have 2 PC (cable), 2 Laptop(wifi), 2 phones (wifi), 1 NAS (cable) and 1 TV (cable), 1 Network video recorder.

do you think a switch is necessary?

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited April 2018

First, don't use crappy netgear/tplink/tenda/tamagotchi SOHO potato.
    Doesn't matter how black, sleek and gamer like the plastic case is.
    The aerodynamic antennas don't help.

Second, the wireless repeater halves your available data rate on the channel. Try connecting it with a cable as a regular access point, if possible.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Janevski said: First, don't use crappy netgear/tplink/tenda/tamagotchi SOHO potato.

TP-Links are actually quite good for their price. Notably the good old WR841ND will happily serve internet users with <60Mbps internet packages.

@iffysam Connect everything with cables if you can.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • If setup properly and wireless reception is ok your network should actually work well with that hardware. You don't need enterprise level hardware at home.

I'd guess the wireless repeater hasn't got great signal which is causing slowness etc. You can test this easily by moving the units much closer together and doing a transfer again.

If that turns out to be the issue you could try a wired connection or try powerline adapters if that's problematic. Your router is more than upto the task of handling your traffic, you don't need to buy a separate switch.

• main router is downstairs and i could not run a cable or a powerline (strange about the powerline i am not too sure why)

the other issue i am having is whenever the main router is down, the repeater dose not work on its own, htpc could not get any data from NAS untill main router is back on.

• If your home has three-phase power to the breaker panel, powerline networking cannot bridge across different legs. Sometimes trying a different pair of outlets works.

• JoeRockJoeRock Member
    edited April 2018

I've great success with standalone router/switches/wireless ap. Those all in one router is okay for what it is, but doesn't give the best performance IMO.

Currently have a APU2C4 running OpenBSD on the edge, Linksys WRT160nv3 as a switch, an E1200 as a wireless n ap. I download to and stream from a raspberry pi 3 b and everything runs smoothly. In the process of moving most of the services from the rpi3 to the apu2c4.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/the-ars-guide-to-building-a-linux-router-from-scratch/