Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedwordpress VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feedwordpress VPS

ElfminsterElfminster Member
edited February 2012 in General

I am currently looking for a VPS for a Wordpress autoblog running Feedwordpress. I have been working on the web site for a few months and I am finally ready to find a decent host. I don't have a lot of money, at least for the moment, so I ended up on this great web site looking for something I can afford. I am not after miracles and understand you get what you pay for.

I will not be running a splog of any sort; it's more of a Google News type of web site for a niche market. I won't even have advertisements on it. The topic is a hobby of mine. I expect to have about 100 Feedwordpress RSS feeds updating every hour or so.

I have developed locally, and signed up for a free month (test run hoping their services would accommodate my requirements after the first month) on Site 5 with their VPS1 (2 x 2.93GHZ & 756MB RAM for $40 per monthy). I had problems...

Message 1

It appears that your site(s) used more memory resources than what is available on your current VPS1 level server. if this is persistent, I would suggest upgrading to a higher level VPS as frequent reboots can lead to file system corruption or even possibly data loss. Let us know if you have any questions or with to proceed with an upgrade.

Message 2

Your vps was not responding and we had to reboot it. Your vps was running out of memory and we have found these process consuming most resources.

====
mysql 50.27 4.25 0.0
Top Process %CPU 53.9 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/ding.webserversystems.com.pid --skip-external-locking
Top Process %CPU 53.8 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/ding.webserversystems.com.pid --skip-external-locking
Top Process %CPU 53.7 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/ding.webserversystems.com.pid --skip-external-locking
xxx xxx.com 2.80 4.30 0.1
Top Process %CPU 44.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php
Top Process %CPU 43.0 /usr/bin/php /home/xxx/public_html/index.php

Top Process %CPU 41.0 [php]

MySQL Slow Queries Log:

User@Host: xxx_wrdp1[xxx_wrdp1] @ localhost []

Thread_id: 25479 Schema: xxx_wrdp1

Query_time: 5.662484 Lock_time: 0.000359 Rows_sent: 0 Rows_examined: 0 Rows_affected: 1 Rows_read: 2

INSERT INTO wp_posts (post_author,post_date,post_date_gmt,post_content,post_content_filtered,post_title,post_excerpt,post_status,post_type,comment_status,ping_status,post_password,post_name,to_ping,pinged,post_modified,post_modified_gmt,post_parent,menu_order,guid) VALUES ('626','2011-11-01 10:17:51','2011-11-01 10:17:51

That was while on 30 minute RSS updates. I changed to two hour updates and it seemed fine from then on.

So I have been checking out ChicagoVPS, AlienVPS, etc. Considered buying two ChicagoVPS 2GB (1 for Wordpress core files + 1 for Wordpress DB). I liked the look of AlienVPS VZ WARP 4 (3GB RAM + 8 Cores).

Not sure what to go for. Currently considering Copahost which I have used in the past and have always been good, but they are a bit more expensive at 19 EUR for 2GB. They say they do not oversell and the first month is 85% off.

Can anyone advise me?
My first question is should I have two servers to begin with?
Will 1GB be enough? Will 2GB be enough? Can you recommend anyone? I am willing to pay up to 20 Euro a month to begin with and add extra servers if the site grows.

Edit: Not sure what is happening with the formating on this. Sorry about that.

Comments

• Are you running an opcode cache like APC? Do you have Super WP-Cache installed, and have you optimized your MySQL config?

Thanked by 1Elfminster
  • It was a stock server with stock Wordpress. I never installed any kind of cache plugin as I do not think it would be of any benefit because the site will not use posts, just categories with external links that are always changing.

• How about Volumedrive.com? Their VPS's are cheap!

• ElfminsterElfminster Member
    edited February 2012

I noticed Volumedrive, but every time I come across what seems like a good deal I read horror stories on here. Hah. 4 GB Dedicated Memory for $15 seems good but I read about people running into swap files, low I/O's and all sorts. Just want something that can handle what I want that offers a stable service without paying WiredTree prices. :)

The bottleneck is when Feedwordpress updates feeds. It crippled the Site5 VPS.

• I'm, not sure but, more than looking for more and more ram, look for learning in how to optimize your stuff

• Yeah, I will. Site5 didn't have root access.

• @Elfminster I have A VolumeDrive VPS, their cheapest VPS plan actually. Their cheapest VPS has 2GB Burst ram and only costs $4.95/month. I ran a test on my VPS and I am fully able to use all of the 2GB Ram which is great.

• @Jeffrey said: @Elfminster I have A VolumeDrive VPS, their cheapest VPS plan actually. Their cheapest VPS has 2GB Burst ram and only costs $4.95/month. I ran a test on my VPS and I am fully able to use all of the 2GB Ram which is great.

What's I/O like?

• AsuraHostingAsuraHosting Member
    edited February 2012

Hi @Elfminster,

I would not recommend going for AlienVPS... during my 2 month stay with them, I suffered countless amounts of downtime. Sometimes, my VPS would be offline the whole entire night; and when it came back on, all my services will be turned off, as if they rebooted my VPS.

ChicagoVPS is a better choice; they are reliable and have good network speeds, the only thing I didn't like was the disk I/O speeds; they were notice-ably slow. If that is not a problem, then definitely go for ChicagoVPS.

But honestly, if you had your site with nGinx, APC, well-tuned MySQL, and PHP-FPM; you should be absolutely fine on a 1GB VPS.

Thanked by 1Elfminster
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Check out Hostigation, they're stable and have fast nodes with good I/O etc. It's my favourite for US VPS's. You should definately check 'em out.

• @Infinity said: Check out Hostigation, they're stable and have fast nodes with good I/O etc. It's my favourite for US VPS's. You should definately check 'em out.

I second this. Besides some issues in LA w/ Quadranet everything's been great for me.

Thanked by 1Elfminster

@Kairus said: issues in LA w/ Quadranet

I personally prefer NC/CLT because it's much more of a central location to Europe and the US. ;)

• ElfminsterElfminster Member
    edited February 2012

Thank you all so much for the advice.

I understand that all hosts will have bad reviews every now and then, but I have yet to come across a negative review regarding Hostigation. I am adding the Hostigation OpenVZ 2048 CLT plan to my shortlist and have removed AlienVPS altogether as well as Volumedrive. I hear BuyVM is good too but there seems to be a stock issue which is a shame.

On a sidenote I do plan on optimizing my web site but have not been able to as of yet due to local development.

edited February 2012

@Elfminster said: I hear BuyVM is good too but there seems to be a stock issue which is a shame.

BuyVM is good too but stock is a myth. :P It should be coming soon tho.. (don't ask me when soon is).

• @economhost said: That's suffice:

While you just joined to spam your service, at least have a clue. You are spamming a quote higher than the 2 on the shortlist and the specs are far worse

• @miTgiB said: While you just joined to spam your service, at least have a clue. You are spamming a quote higher than the 2 on the shortlist and the specs are far worse

You forgot to mention he said LAMP... that is the funniest part out of everything.

• @AsuraHosting said: You forgot to mention he said LAMP... that is the funniest part out of everything.

There is no fun kicking a dead horse any further