Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's STOP provider's bad habit of changing your VPS location - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Let's STOP provider's bad habit of changing your VPS location

2»

Comments

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    The biggest reason location changes anger me is because they are dishonest to the consumer, its just like bait and switch, "Hey come get this awesome service in the location you want it", "Ohh, you liked that location? Well sorry it is to expensive to sustain so now we are moving you to a location you didn't pick on different hardware than we originally sold you on, in an entirely different country."

Not to mention their incapability to express sign of regret. This is what usually piss me of the most. Instead of that they talk about "for overall performance an speed improvements we're moving you to xx location" and act like I should be happy because of that without considering refund for those prepaid clients who doesn't want migration to some location they don't need.

Thanked by 2switsys TheLinuxBug
  • I just wanted to note that the list in the first post wasn't meant to be a black list. Actually dotvps, urpad and httpzoom have pretty good uptime and other than a location switch they have all been great providers in my experience. Jack from dotvps have shown understanding through tough times for me.
    While I might have started this thread in a moment of frustration I realize what @smile93 said is true, if we start requiring more guarantees in the LEB community it will no longer be LEB. So I guess an occasional location change it's a fair price we pay for getting servers for a few dollars.

• Did httpzoom have a switch before or not? Possible for someone to reclassify/reconfirm, pls? Was thinking of 'upgrading' a US VPS to its 64MB plan, before travel outside the UK.

• I totally agree, unless this is in the TOS of your provider I would expect a full refund :)

• @DomainBop @Jack

Best part, Jack even let's you to watch the migration process ;)

• TheLinuxBug said: Apples and Oranges.

If you are talking their move from EGI to Fiber Hub, I think this is a little different. It was an upgrade for customers all around and the hardware wasn't changed. This is a little different than say taking a customer in a European location and putting them in a super cheap US location that is 100ms from your previous audience. BuyVM moved maybe 6-10ms from their original location, increased their bandwidth availability, improved their overall bandwidth mix and all of the customers were kept on the same hardware they were on previously (they were not "migrated" the whole server was physically moved).

Cheers!

Still, it was a move and there was downtime. This move was probably even more annoying than the URPad move is ever going to be. There wasn't just downtime for the migration, but there was plenty of trouble afterwards. And it wasn't the first migration. There's another one coming up for them as well. Seriously, I think we're talking about the kings of migration here. I'm surprised the OP didn't pick up on that. At least most other providers provide live migration and don't pack their hardware in a truck and drive.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited October 2013

@mpkossen said "At least most other providers provide live migration and don't pack their hardware in a truck and drive."

If they own their own equipment they pack it on a truck and drive: Edis Graz to Vienna, and Ginernet Alicante to Barcelona are two recent ones

Probably the biggest "pack 'em on the track and drive" migration disaster ever was when Hostway bought ValueWeb and moved all of their servers from Miami to Tampa and some peoples servers were down for days
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/Hostway-Server-Migration-Leaves-Clients-in-the-Dark/
    http://www.eweek.com/c/a/IT-Infrastructure/Analysts-Hostway-Failed-to-Properly-Plan-Server-Migration/

• ZeroCoolZeroCool Member
    edited October 2013

If they moved to good server and good uptime is okey

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

@Carpe we've never moved and I've no idea why our name is within this thread!

@vpnarea we need clarification about why you feel we have ever moved.

• emreemre Member, LIR

years ago some dedicated company was sold to another one. They moved all thousand of their servsers from california to miami with a rented cargo plane in under 12 hours!

I will write the company name if I can remember.

I went to sleep after server went down , when I woke up server was in Miami :)

perfect move, Thousands of Miles..

• c0yc0y Member

@DomainBop said:
    Probably the biggest "pack 'em on the track and drive" migration disaster ever was when Hostway bought ValueWeb and moved all of their servers from Miami to Tampa and some peoples servers were down for days

What about VolumeDrive and CommercialMedia?! :-P

VolumeDrive getting locked out, not having all servers, and being delayed when setting up new racks etc

CommercialMedia just drove people over from Equinix to their own DC without telling hoping they won't notice, whahah!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2013

mpkossen said: At least most other providers provide live migration and don't pack their hardware in a truck and drive.

Yea, those providers just force IP swaps every single move.....

Every time we've moved it has been as a huge improvement to our offers. We don't sit on a heavily oversold switch in Coresite like we were. Our move from HE wouldn't have happened if they didn't have 5+ power outages in 8 months and network outages every week. At the time HE's moto was "When it works, it's great. When it doesn't? You're screwed".

I know, you get paid to try to stir things with us but it doesn't work :) It's one thing if we closed locations because the location didn't sell or we were, say, moving EU -> US as many providers have done here. We kept more or less on the west coast (within 3ms) and improved latency for many of our users in Asia.

The CC move was going to happen as well. Be it moving in < 2 weeks or moving in June of next year - it was voted on happening in late August.

I'm waiting for you to start slagging on Choopa where even Jon, Chris, & Adam have praised how awesome their network & connectivity is.

Please, by all means, try to point out where we've cut corners or lower quality. I'd love to see your list of providers that are dropping upwards of $100,000 in SSD's at no increase in signups/sales just as a gift to their users.

EDIT - Fixed some wording in the first paragraph

Francisco

• Francisco said: Every time we've moved it has been as a huge improvement to our offers.

No doubt about it but your migration history didn't start with HE and coresite but atleast twice before that ;) How often Frantech actually migrated? Five? Six?

Francisco said: I'd love to see your list of providers that are dropping upwards of $100,000 in SSD's at no increase in signups/sales just as a gift to their users.

Good logical move. With so many newbs offering high quality low priced service host can't afford to live permanently from old glory.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Heinz said: No doubt about it but your migration history didn't start with HE and coresite but atleast twice before that ;) How often Frantech actually migrated? Five? Six?

We had steadfast when we first opened but literally 90% of our userbase was in the Phillipines so the latency was 350ms+ for them. We had both open for about 2 months at one point but we had only staff vm's left. It was silly to keep paying $1400 for ap lace we couldn't sell :) Literally every user migrated.

I should fix the wording on that. There's no increase in cost to the user or 'loss'. Originally we planned a 50% reduction in space but said screw it and bought much larger drives.

Francisco

• Recent moves:
    versatile -> cloudshards
    (my servers were down for days, not a smooth transfer)
    premiumvm -> hostnit
    (server is up and running)

• vpnareavpnarea Member
    edited October 2013

Edit: URPad migrating all their non-eu servers to USA.