Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Annual Dedicated Deals?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Good Annual Dedicated Deals?

YokedEggYokedEgg Member
edited April 2018 in Requests

Looking for a decent DBD style annual deal.

Less than approx 360/yr prepaid for an E3 w/ 32GB ram, SSD prefered, 120gb is fine.

Any ideas? Or unrealistic until sales holidays come around.

P.S. Please only recommend hosts older than 2 or 3 years.

EDIT: US or NA as well.

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2018

Well, 30$ and less is a bit hard to get, when no one offer good deals.

Especially for the requirements, if you wait, you will get what you want, but if you push to get it, you pay a lot more.

Especially if you ask for good deals, Currently, the providers have the monopoly.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • @Neoon said:
    Well, 30$ and less is a bit hard to get, when no one offer good deals.

Especially for the requirements, if you wait, you will get what you want, but if you push to get it, you pay a lot more.

Especially if you ask for good deals, Currently, the providers have the monopoly.

Ehh, posting this I realized my chances were slim.

There's a couple relatively similar options already available, but nothing worthwhile.

Then again, some hosts love knowing they have a server sold for a year and are fine marking it down a significant portion rather than monthly recurring.

I'm fine with 16GB ram too. Open to other offers, but that was just the template.

A few days back KS4C Flashsale... around 16$ for 16gig, Intel i5, 2TB HDD, same for Hetzner, you missed all these deals.

Just wait if you want something cheap, if you ask for stuff, you mostly get overpriced shit offers, most of the stuff related to dedis is overpriced at 95% of the time.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • imokimok Member
    edited April 2018
    Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Neoon said:
    A few days back KS4C Flashsale... around 16$ for 16gig, Intel i5, 2TB HDD, same for Hetzner, you missed all these deals.

Just wait if you want something cheap, if you ask for stuff, you mostly get overpriced shit offers, most of the stuff related to dedis is overpriced at 95% of the time.

I actually saw both but need a US or NA location :/ probably should add that to the original post.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

I'd say unrealistic, but then someone like him shows up, sells stuff, suddenly disappears, stuff goes down, and people fall for the same trick over and over again...

• YokedEgg said: Less than approx 360/yr prepaid for an E3 w/ 32GB ram ... SSD prefered ... US or NA as well... fine with 16GB ram

With HDD it's almost doable at the Hetzner auction. If "US or NA" means you don't want EU, then it's harder. If you specified E3 because you need ECC that eliminates some otherwise comparable possibilities (including some E3's).

What are the actual requirements? You can get an older Xeon (E5520 or whatever) within that budget fairly easily.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • omelasomelas Member
    edited April 2018

@YokedEgg said:

I actually saw both but need a US or NA location :/ probably should add that to the original post.

That makes me wonder about VPS in Mexico

• omelas said: That makes me wonder about VPS in Mexico

He needs a dedi.

• OseriOseri Member

OneProvider has something with your specs in Canada at $46/month, but you may want to take a look to other offers here:
    https://oneprovider.com/dedicated-servers/dedicated-server-promotions

You could also ask @SpeedBus from CrownCloud or @exception0x876 from Wishosting to quote a custom server.

• @Clouvider said:

I'd say unrealistic, but then someone like him shows up, sells stuff, suddenly disappears, stuff goes down, and people fall for the same trick over and over again...

I'm looking for a gem.

Something like DBD, a couple of guys maybe have a rack or colo space that prefer the stability of annual income vs monthly.

Shitty support is okay as long as the server runs and on failure I can get a response.

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@willie said:

YokedEgg said: Less than approx 360/yr prepaid for an E3 w/ 32GB ram ... SSD prefered ... US or NA as well... fine with 16GB ram

With HDD it's almost doable at the Hetzner auction. If "US or NA" means you don't want EU, then it's harder. If you specified E3 because you need ECC that eliminates some otherwise comparable possibilities (including some E3's).

What are the actual requirements? You can get an older Xeon (E5520 or whatever) within that budget fairly easily.

Honestly, no real hard set requirements. Will be used for Proxmox and some semi-production stuff, but mostly experimentation. Only hard set requirement is US/NA + SSD, decent amount of ram and a couple of cores.

• Maybe ask @DatabaseByDesignLLC for a custom quote although he was last active two months ago.

• @saibal said:
    Maybe ask @DatabaseByDesignLLC for a custom quote although he was last active two months ago.

Can't get ahold of support at all, also they're notoriously unresponsive but do provide a good service for the price. Basically, if I could I would.

• YokedEgg said: Only hard set requirement is US/NA + SSD, decent amount of ram and a couple of cores.

If SSD is required you shouldn't write that you "prefer" it. Anyway if you don't mind a provider who's been around forever but has known horrible problems, try here:

https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/april-2018-clearance/

Scroll the inner frame to see different offers and click on the monthly price to get the order page, which usually has an annual option with a substantial discount.

Bad as that provider is, the prices are definitely low and might be ok for your experimentation. I'd be dubious of putting anything there with relability requirements.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited April 2018

While they're no longer active on LET and probably still disliked by many, Delimiter has clearance servers going for $200-299 per year. So starting at $17 per month for a Dual E5420. Or $25 for a E3-1225v3.

https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/clearance-servers/&step=0

I cannot comment on their offerings since it has been a long time since I've had any active services with them. Prior to that, I never had any issues with them except for one DC failure.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • Yes, they are very unresponsive but they get away with it because their shit rarely goes down :-)

DbD came up with some great deals last year. You have to keep looking in LET if they come back. Fact is people who have them probably won't let them go.

Are you looking for something immediately? Otherwise the only chances coming up are Memorial Day and 4th of July (a month and almost 3 months respectively).

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • @willie said:

YokedEgg said: Only hard set requirement is US/NA + SSD, decent amount of ram and a couple of cores.

If SSD is required you shouldn't write that you "prefer" it. Anyway if you don't mind a provider who's been around forever but has known horrible problems, try here:

https://cc.delimiter.com/cart/april-2018-clearance/

Scroll the inner frame to see different offers and click on the monthly price to get the order page, which usually has an annual option with a substantial discount.

Bad as that provider is, the prices are definitely low and might be ok for your experimentation. I'd be dubious of putting anything there with relability requirements.

Skeptical of using Delimiter even for experimentation after I saw the giant thread here of numerous people having their servers disappear weeks.

• @saibal said:
    Yes, they are very unresponsive but they get away with it because their shit rarely goes down :-)

DbD came up with some great deals last year. You have to keep looking in LET if they come back. Fact is people who have them probably won't let them go.

Are you looking for something immediately? Otherwise the only chances coming up are Memorial Day and 4th of July (a month and almost 3 months respectively).

Not really immediately, but I'm guessing the next actually good sales holiday will probably be Black Friday, which I don't necessarily want to wait that long.

• Yeah, the best deals of the year are during Black Friday but DbD brought those deals earlier last year. He is tagged in this thread. Let's see if he gets us more this year ;-)

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Tough to do. Either @Virmach promo, or if you up your budget then Incero has that config for $40/m ($30 first month) with slight discount pre-paying for longer term

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
    edited April 2018

@Clouvider said:

Well, as I know, he was drunk, when he did that.

A lot of people have no self control when they touch alcohol, I do not name any moderators/admins here on LET, but for some, it still happens on discord today.

Remember the Admin who spammed into the chest pit when he was full?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Would you be interested in an i5 with 16GB RAM and and HDD? That would be doable. E3 + 32GB RAM + SSD is a tall order. Bare in mind in most places, electricity alone will cost $120 /yr, and even if using cheap bandwidth and 1IP, the overheads likley makes the break even point at least (on operating costs) $200-$250 /yr.

So the $110 - $160 operating profit is not a lot to recoup the hardware cost. An i5 with 16GB RAM and HDD would cost maybe half as much as an E3 with 32GB RAM and an SSD, so the ROI would be far more feasible.

Otherwise, I would say you'd need to be looking at $500 /yr for the E3, and that would still be on the cheap side of things.

• YokedEggYokedEgg Member
    edited April 2018

@randvegeta said:
    Would you be interested in an i5 with 16GB RAM and and HDD? That would be doable. E3 + 32GB RAM + SSD is a tall order. Bare in mind in most places, electricity alone will cost $120 /yr, and even if using cheap bandwidth and 1IP, the overheads likley makes the break even point at least (on operating costs) $200-$250 /yr.

So the $110 - $160 operating profit is not a lot to recoup the hardware cost. An i5 with 16GB RAM and HDD would cost maybe half as much as an E3 with 32GB RAM and an SSD, so the ROI would be far more feasible.

Otherwise, I would say you'd need to be looking at $500 /yr for the E3, and that would still be on the cheap side of things.

Understandable, but yes for everything but the HDD (really want an SSD, don't need a lot of capacity).

Although from my understanding your offers are in Asia?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

YokedEgg said: Although from my understanding your offers are in Asia?

We have our own DC Hong Kong (Asia) and Lithuania (Europe).

Sorry, I see now you only want USA/NA.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • i dont know why peoples still mention delimiter, i never trust provider who only provide yearly plans.

i think virmach can do something if you ask yearly plans, i missed that scott deals from DbD too.

Thanked by 1YokedEgg
  • @andiklive said:
    i dont know why peoples still mention delimiter, i never trust provider who only provide yearly plans.

i think virmach can do something if you ask yearly plans, i missed that scott deals from DbD too.

Virmach hasn't really been putting out too much offers as of lately.

• @YokedEgg: You might PM Virmach to see if they can setup something custom for you. There was a thread a few weeks back about someone letting go of their Virmach annual payment server. Dunno if that got sold.

Thanked by 2YokedEgg feezioxiii
  • feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

@saibal said:
    @YokedEgg: You might PM Virmach to see if they can setup something custom for you. There was a thread a few weeks back about someone letting go of their Virmach annual payment server. Dunno if that got sold.

It's sold already :D

• @feezioxiii said:

@saibal said:
    @YokedEgg: You might PM Virmach to see if they can setup something custom for you. There was a thread a few weeks back about someone letting go of their Virmach annual payment server. Dunno if that got sold.

It's sold already :D

Riperoni.

Thanked by 1feezioxiii