Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headset without power supply, How? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Headset without power supply, How?

2»

Comments

• aka dont shutoff things instant

• btw i have to admit i never liked @athonysmith ever since i was active but that aside i just now shared my personal thoughts.

• imokimok Member

You should get an old (or cheap) speaker, open it and see it while it's working. We do these things as children.

Or you can watch some YouTube videos too.

• @imok said:
    You should get an old (or cheap) speaker, open it and see it while it's working. We do these things as children.

Or you can watch some YouTube videos too.

i put in a new bass speaker once, all you see is the bass making the speaker jump.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@jvnadr said:

Falzo said: there is no power channel, as there simply is no active electronic inside the headphone that need power.

Well, this also is electrical power.

of course the audio signal is also power. I meant to say: there is no additional/separate power channel, as there are no additional (active) components like an amplifier or such besides the speaker itself that would need some.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Mark_R said:

"The audio signal itself powers the unit" how? isnt the audio channel seperated from the power channel?

Think about you strike a bell. The force that you put on a bell converts to the bell sound.

The same applies to a headset. The coil converts audio signal (which IS electricity, albeit very little) to a force, and that makes the "bell sound" (music, sound, etc).

You only need extra power if you are not strong enough to push it. Imaging it's a huge bell and you alone can't strike it. Now you call some guys here, and give them an order to strike the bell for you. Then those guys are extra power source, and that's usually how a speaker works. Guys come out of the wall outlet.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @msg7086 said:

@Mark_R said:

"The audio signal itself powers the unit" how? isnt the audio channel seperated from the power channel?

Think about you strike a bell. The force that you put on a bell converts to the bell sound.

The same applies to a headset. The coil converts audio signal (which IS electricity, albeit very little) to a force, and that makes the "bell sound" (music, sound, etc).

You only need extra power if you are not strong enough to push it. Imaging it's a huge bell and you alone can't strike it. Now you call some guys here, and give them an order to strike the bell for you. Then those guys are extra power source, and that's usually how a speaker works. Guys come out of the wall outlet.

that is impressive, is there a name for this tech?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I feel warm on the inside now.

Thanked by 3MasonR bugrakoc William
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I feel warm on the inside now.

what's going on inside?

• Yes, headphones and small microphones get their power from their respective audio jacks and the longer the cable, and/or the more resistance it has - the lower sound volume you get.

• This attitude screams millennial.

@AnthonySmith hope you learned a thing or two from his valuable moderation expertise, because he definitely lacks the interest to read the provided Wikipedia pages, and at least some good should come out of this thread, right?

edited April 2018

It's all good, Mark and I had a few run ins years ago, we sorted it out via PM last night, everyone is a winner.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @bugrakoc said:
    This attitude screams millennial.

@AnthonySmith hope you learned a thing or two from his valuable moderation expertise, because he definitely lacks the interest to read the provided Wikipedia pages, and at least some good should come out of this thread, right?

did you had something to say or was that it?

I don't have anything to add, if I took on board the 100 conflicting opinions I get every week i would get nothing done.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I don't have anything to add, if I took on board the 100 conflicting opinions I get every week i would get nothing done.

my previous post was aimed at @bugrakoc

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • iBotiBot Member

Next up, how telephones worked.

Thanked by 1bugrakoc
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@iBot said:

old corded ones only used two wires too. and no auxiliary power, imagine that! ;-) ;-)

• @iBot said:

My android works through magical internet waves.

Thanked by 1imok
  • Falzo said: old corded ones only used two wires too. and no auxiliary power, imagine that! ;-) ;-)

You had to wind up before you could place a call in those first generation phones ;-)

• is there anything wrong with asking how stuff works? wouldn't it be better if more people would actually try to gather knowledge rather than just ignoring everything? maybe we should encourage it rather than being a little bitch about it.

• @Mark_R said:
    is there anything wrong with asking how stuff works? wouldn't it be better if more people would actually try to gather knowledge rather than just ignoring everything? maybe we should encourage it rather than being a little bitch about it.

It's not that srs m8

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Mark_R said:
    is there anything wrong with asking how stuff works? wouldn't it be better if more people would actually try to gather knowledge rather than just ignoring everything? maybe we should encourage it rather than being a little bitch about it.

I agree... netherless quite some people (that includes me) obviously are ever so often surprised that knowledge, which most likely was considered to be quite common for a long time, seem to simply fade away nowadays.

and for the bitching part... this still is LET :-P

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited April 2018

@Falzo said:

@Mark_R said:

I agree... netherless quite some people (that includes me) obviously are ever so often surprised that knowledge, which most likely was considered to be quite common for a long time, seem to simply fade away nowadays.

and for the bitching part... this still is LET :-P

its only going to get worse, so thats why i made that previous post. lets encourage rather than, you know..

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited April 2018

Mark_R said: is there anything wrong with asking how stuff works?

No, but this is something solved in a single Google search in about 20 seconds, less than writing the thread. It's analog audio, around unchanged (aside of the plug from 6 to 3mm) since probably 25 years.

Now you can get one step up - cellphone headsets (eg. iPhone) bridge the pins based on resistors to trigger actions back in the phone (volume, next, etc.).

Then you can watch this channel on YT where the funny Canadian-Iranian electrocutes himself while he explains things. Much fun. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ0-OtVpF0wOKEqT2Z1HEtA

Thanked by 2Clouvider bugrakoc
  • @William said:

Mark_R said: is there anything wrong with asking how stuff works?

No, but this is something solved in a single Google search in about 20 seconds, less than writing the thread. It's analog audio, around unchanged (aside of the plug from 6 to 3mm) since probably 25 years.

Now you can get one step up - cellphone headsets (eg. iPhone) bridge the pins based on resistors to trigger actions back in the phone (volume, next, etc.).

Then you can watch this channel on YT where the funny Canadian-Iranian electrocutes himself while he explains things. Much fun. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ0-OtVpF0wOKEqT2Z1HEtA

everything is solved in a quick google search, why do we even use LET? wait.. maybe because the answers are being provided by experienced people in a quick way. no need for reading a book/wikipedia.

another good plus is that people who are part of the same platform and have the same question could look at this thread and have their answer in matters of minutes, it doesnt matter where you are, is good to have knowledge spread everywhere at any platform. sometimes a question also ignites a discussion that ends up bringing even more valuable information that hasnt been shared anywhere else yet.

• btw @william i always loved your network related posts but you became really arrogant man.

• iBotiBot Member

@Mark_R said:
    btw @william i always loved your network related posts but you became really arrogant man.

May be you should relax a bit and learn how to handle criticism and sarcasm. This is the intenet after all.

• pcanpcan Member

If a headset that don't need power surprised you, what about a radio with no batteries and no power supply at all? Google about crystal radio, or check a modern version made with today components like this one: http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/culter.pdf

This is the same way that modern Rfid keyfob works. The chip inside is powered by the radio waves.

If you go near enough to a powerful AM radio antenna, you don't need any radio to listen. You hear it very faintly but clearly in your head. Tried myself by going next to the fence of a 30KW AM transmitter, at the location were the feed line that goes to the tower is exiting from the transmitter shack.

• @pcan said:
    If you go near enough to a powerful AM radio antenna, you don't need any radio to listen. You hear it very faintly but clearly in your head. Tried myself by going next to the fence of a 30KW AM transmitter, at the location were the feed line that goes to the tower is exiting from the transmitter shack.

If it was a radar site, you'd probably be cooked inside out by now...

It's sad that basic RF and electrical theory isn't taught in schools.