Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nginx crashes every ~12 hours
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nginx crashes every ~12 hours

kaasblokje150kaasblokje150 Member
edited April 2018 in Help

Hello,

We are having a problem where our nginx crashes about every 12 hours. Idk if this is a bug or something else. We are having this problem on 2 VPS' at the same time. They go down almost at the exact same time. We had to move one site to a different VPS and when we did that another VPS was getting this problem. There are absolutly no errors in the logs. It's a very strange issue and we were also thinking about someone targetting us but how would they crash nginx so idk if that's a likely senario. At this time we had to set up a cron job which runs every 15 minutes which restarts nginx. If anyone knows how to fix this let me know!

extra note: The VPS' are not on the same machine.

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Are you a sane person? How the heck we must know what's happening? Post fkin nginx logs or something.

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

I suspect it could be that you're reaching "Too many open files" limit. But we can't tell anything for sure until you post some logs.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • kaasblokje150kaasblokje150 Member
    edited April 2018

@LTniger said:
    Are you a sane person? How the heck we must know what's happening? Post fkin nginx logs or something.

As I said there are no errors in the logs. We have a sys admin which manages our servers and he confirmed that there are no errors in any logs whats however.

• @kaasblokje150 said: We have a sys admin which manages our servers and he confirmed that there are no errors in any logs whats however.

Probably beyond his chops then.

• Enable debug logging in nginx, then check the logs again.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2018

Error logs are never empty. If it is, something's wrong.

LET dark magic can't assist you at the moment.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@deank said:
    Error logs are never empty. If it is, something's wrong.

probably the end is nigh?

Thanked by 1deank
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Aye, the end must be nigh!

• lazytlazyt Member

Empty error logs?????

• FalzoFalzo Member

@lazyt said:
    Empty error logs?????

maybe he's using VestaCP ;-) ;-)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Falzo said:

@lazyt said:
    Empty error logs?????

maybe he's using VestaCP ;-) ;-)

Well, in that case he would be telling the truth. There are no errors in /dev/null

Thanked by 1lazyt
  • @kaasblokje150 said:
    Hello,

We are having a problem where our nginx crashes about every 12 hours. Idk if this is a bug or something else. We are having this problem on 2 VPS' at the same time. They go down almost at the exact same time. We had to move one site to a different VPS and when we did that another VPS was getting this problem. There are absolutly no errors in the logs. It's a very strange issue and we were also thinking about someone targetting us but how would they crash nginx so idk if that's a likely senario. At this time we had to set up a cron job which runs every 15 minutes which restarts nginx. If anyone knows how to fix this let me know!

extra note: The VPS' are not on the same machine.

Sorry, LET support is on vacation - contact next week.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@kaasblokje150 :) feel free to signup and open a server management request we charge $7 per ticket exclusive of GST :)

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

kaasblokje150 said: As I said there are no errors in the logs. We have a sys admin which manages our servers and he confirmed that there are no errors in any logs whats however.

Check if you have logging enabled. Nginx doesn't log on default if it isn't configured to. You might want to get a different "sysadmin" lol

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@CConner said:
    Check if you have logging enabled. Nginx doesn't log on default if it isn't configured to. You might want to get a different "sysadmin" lol

nginx has error logging on by default, consider checking the docs: http://nginx.org/en/docs/ngx_core_module.html#error_log

• nepsneps Member

Based on the extensive data you've provided, the only rational explanation is that you have a script running sudo service gremlins attack-nginx that gets triggered every time the hour hand is pointing at X. May I suggest removing the batteries from your wallclocks?

• Gotta love the LET crowd :) On a serious note, what else are you running on the VPS?

• If it's an honest to god crash then there should be a SIGSEGV or some other signal in /var/log/kern.log and dmesg at least.

• @vmp32k said:
    If it's an honest to god crash then there should be a SIGSEGV or some other signal in /var/log/kern.log and dmesg at least.

I second that. Also, use Nginx debug logging - actual crash can't go silently, with no log records whatsoever.

• kaasblokje150 said: As I said there are no errors in the logs. We have a sys admin which manages our servers and he confirmed that there are no errors in any logs whats however.

what is his idea for the problem?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Sorry but my crystal ball just says "Tau and tao is not the same".

I suggest you try your request for help again with at least some basic information like the size and type of your VPS, req/s and the like.

Additionally I would suggest to let go your "only 5$ or get 2 for 8$" "sysadmin" and get one who at least successfully mastered "web servers on linux for dummies".

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited April 2018

if it may help

1) I was facing same issue with apache crashing every few hours and sending error service not available and there was no clue in any of log files.

2) After investigation on various logs I figured out that the client was running an outdated version of joomla and some one was exploiting the phpmailer script calling it remotely and sending out spam emails causing heavy load on server which in turn crashes the apache.

this may be not the reason in your case..

• GulfGulf Member
    edited April 2018

Looks like a bug in 14th version. Have the same issue with Ubuntu 16.04.

Crashes every 3 hours on small VPS with empty logs. Downgraded to the previous version and do not see any issues.

14x version works without any problem on VPS with 4 cores (under incredibly high load).

But it crashes on small 1 core VPS with a modest load.

• LeviLevi Member

Gulf said: Crashes every 3 hours on small VPS with empty logs.

Strace dat shit.