Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Creating my own ISP - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Creating my own ISP

2»

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2018

But... the dude has already spent his entire budget.... on IPs. He can't back off now.

• Thread has quite a bit of good feedback I take the positive with the negative. On the up up though a few knowledgeable people from this community has reached out to me and helped clear a lot of my questions and for that I'm grateful and well on my way.

With that being said I've requested the thread be closed due to most of my questions being answered.

Thanks all!

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

deank said: But... the dude has already spent his entire budget.... on IPs. He can't back off now.

You can always HODL the IPs and sell them in few years. The price is only going to go up.

• NuntiusNuntius Member
    edited April 2018

@HashTag said:

@Nuntius said:
    Wow how stupid can some one be to ask blabla I want to start an ISP but have no idea. I mean really? I want to start an airline can some one please help me or even better write me a business plan? I mean are this questions for real? I don’t believe ...

If you don't have anything constructive why post?

I obviously have a business plan or I wouldn't have wasted money on an IP block and an ASN. I have knowledge in the field as well as have worked with many companies in the St. Louis area whom are ready to actively invest in this project once I have the right people in the right places.

This thread was meant to gain some insight on networking, finding providers and actively seeking good network blends from a community of people I know are guru's in this field. However if you feel my questions are stupid feel free to keep your rude comments to yourself and save thread space for folks who can actually provide helpful feedback and not childish, unhelpful and rude.

Good luck!

• one of those thread created by someone who are just honestly asking for advise, if you don't/can't contribute why don't you just STFU. Thread title is interesting so I clicked, then ofc I have to read a couple of douche response just to get the gist.

• @HashTag said:
    I purchased an ASN, purchased a /24 IPv4 subnet from auction now I am looking for two ISP to start up my project. I plan to start in a colo facility somewhere in the St. Louis area and sell my own transit.

My question is how exactly do I begin. Before anyone goes in on me I've been doing a lot of research on how to build my own ISP and the basics of what things I've learned is you must own your own IP block which I have and my own ASN which I as well have.

My goal is to sell transit to providers locally in the St. Louis area via MMR for a couple of years and then possibly expand.

I have gotten a few quotes from He.net as well as CogentCo for transit but I am confused as to what to do next.

Any information would help, I have not made out a complete business plan but since I had the spare cash I went ahead and grabbed a /24 subnet as well as an ASN. For the past few months I've been fooling around with my MX240 and a few servers trying to get the feel for networking again and I feel confident.

Congats on taking the first step to being an ISP!

You have a long way forward before you start selling major transit contracts, but that's okay, start small, slowly build up.

You need to have a very strong understanding of BGP. You also should peer as much as you can, this will allow you to sell transit for cheaper and also have the added benefit of lowing your hop count to local destinations.

Your next step is to get your MX setup nice and stable and be very confident in setting up customer links.

I'd recommend 2x upstreams as a minimum to to mitigate any network downtime.

HE.Net is a good starting point for having as your backup transit. :)

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 1HashTag
  • I’ve requested the thread be closed due...

/thread @AnthonySmith :]

This discussion has been closed.