Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is considered reasonable downtime? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is considered reasonable downtime?

2»

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited April 2018

Fair enough, most of the time shit won't happen so you get 99.99%, but 99.9% is all you can really hold them to. I worked at a site with an actual 99.99% contractual obligation and we had to do the whole geo-redundant HA rigamarole to make sure we met it. I wouldn't expect or want a LET host to do anything like that except as a specialty product, because of the expenses involved that would of course be passed on to me.

That said, I do think there is an opening for some LET host to offer basic HA web/wordpress hosting for $7/month (which would sell like hot cakes) or even $20/month. There have been a few discussions about this, with eager buyers but no interested sellers.

• donlidonli Member

@willie said:

According to a book I saw about Google SRE (site reliability engineering),

Which is available for reading online at google:

https://landing.google.com/sre/book/index.html

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • @YokedEgg said:

@404error said:

@AlexanderM said:
    ...we did have an issue on an atlanta node today which is mainly used for $1/month services...

Is this your way of saying YGWYPF ? hehe

That abbreviation is almost as long as just writing out "you get what you pay for".

Almost <> is. So it served its purpose correctly.

• At LET no downtime is acceptable.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

SV_Nick said: At LET no downtime is acceptable.

deank said: If no SLA is found, it defaults to 100% uptime guarantee.

This.