Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel DNS Only
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel DNS Only

Before I pull the trigger on a small VPS I wanted to ask about cPanel DNS Only configuration.

Can I use this server to point to reseller servers I have in different geographical locations. I noticed on the reseller WHM I don't have the option to configure a cluster like I do with root access so I didn't know if it would hinder the DNS Only Server useless.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2018

Hello,

You'll have to ask the host to make the pairing to your servers but I've done this for a few resellers already :)

Francisco

• @Francisco said:
    Hello,

You'll have to ask the host to make the pairing to your servers but I've done this for a few resellers already :)

Francisco

I would assume these DNS cluster servers run on pretty minimal specs.. Any deal on a small vps in Vegas, Jersey, and Luxembourg just so I would have a good cluster geographically set up.

caniac22 said: I would assume these DNS cluster servers run on pretty minimal specs.. Any deal on a small vps in Vegas, Jersey, and Luxembourg just so I would have a good cluster geographically set up.

You would think that but you need like 1GB RAM just to install the damn thing now.

You might be able to run it on 128MB RAM once installed, but I would have to check.

I'm afraid I got no deals minus what's on the sticker.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

caniac22 said: I would assume these DNS cluster servers run on pretty minimal specs.. Any deal on a small vps in Vegas, Jersey, and Luxembourg just so I would have a good cluster geographically set up.

You would think that but you need like 1GB RAM just to install the damn thing now.

You might be able to run it on 128MB RAM once installed, but I would have to check.

Francisco

Thanks for the info. From your experience is their a security issue by enabling the cluster for resellers? I've seen in forums hosts don't allow it because they're afraid the reseller might be able to manage other websites dns settings.

• @caniac22 said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Thanks for the info. From your experience is their a security issue by enabling the cluster for resellers? I've seen in forums hosts don't allow it because they're afraid the reseller might be able to manage other websites dns settings.

You cannot modify other users’ settings. Who told you that?

doghouch said: You cannot modify other users’ settings. Who told you that?

I guess fear of something allowing it.

The only domains that get synced are those under the resellers control.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

doghouch said: You cannot modify other users’ settings. Who told you that?

I guess fear of something allowing it.

The only domains that get synced are those under the resellers control.

Francisco

I was reading through the cPanel forums about the topic and that was what some very early posts stated thus why cPanel did not allow it at the standard reseller level.