Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Podcast Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Podcast Hosting

jcalebjcaleb Member

Hello. I want to start my own little podcast with a small target audience in my country.

Should I use ready made service like SoundCloud, Fireside, libsyn, etc? Or is this something easy to setup on a VPS? Apologize, most searches give me hits on seo optimized blogs that links to ready made service. Thanks!

Comments

• The real LET way would be a Youtube/Twitch LiveStream with just a background image and you talking.

• donlidonli Member
    edited April 2018

@jcaleb said:
    Hello. I want to start my own little podcast with a small target audience in my country.

Should I use ready made service like SoundCloud, Fireside, libsyn, etc? Or is this something easy to setup on a VPS? Apologize, most searches give me hits on seo optimized blogs that links to ready made service. Thanks!

Three questions:

How frequent will your podcasts be?

What's will the approximate file size of each podcast?

How many listeners do you wish to plan for?

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2018

donli said: Three questions:

• How frequent will your podcasts be? I plan once a week
    • What's will the approximate file size of each podcast? My estimate is around 20mb per episode
    • How many listeners do you wish to plan for? My estimate would be between 500 and 5,000
  • vovler said: The real LET way would be a Youtube/Twitch LiveStream with just a background image and you talking.

I want to publish on itunes and also have a player on my website

• donlidonli Member
    edited April 2018

Ok so: 5,000 users x 20Mb x 4 per month = 400 Gb/month. Not outrageous monthly bandwidth.

The problem will be if you have 5,000 regular listeners and you announce a new poscast on say your twitter account and say 500 of those listeners simultaneously try to download the latest podcast.

There seem to be a lot of companies specializing in this area:

https://www.weeditpodcasts.com/8-top-podcast-hosting-companies/

and your cost would be $10-$20/month (less when you startup and have fewer listeners). Looks like something you should consider outsourcing to one of them and concentrate on your content. A VPS with sufficient (simultaneous) bandwidth would probably cost as much.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

http://www.libsyn.com/podcast-hosting-services/

It isn’t free but it will save you tons of work, cost as a VPS /month and some more.

• mikho said: http://www.libsyn.com/podcast-hosting-services/

It isn’t free but it will save you tons of work, cost as a VPS /month and some more.

It's hard to choose, hard to trust blogs that have affiliate links.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I listen to a ton of podcasts, I have them on all day while working, I have been listening to them since around 2003 I started with the kenradio podcast :)

I personally think that the best way to build an audience is not to restrict yourself to 1 avenue, upload it to sound cloud, iTunes, YouTube, get listed on pocastaddict, and also have a vps that lists the weekly shows with a simple website that has links to the shows on the various outlets.

Then on the vps you host a simple archive of all the shows for everything 1+ month old.

That's how I would do it.

Thanked by 2jcaleb kkrajk
  • Even if your (gbit) vps is being hit by 1000 listeners at once, they all still get 1mbit/s. If you record it at 128kbit/s, then they all should download it in about 1/8th of the time it takes for the podcast to play.

Given 20mb podcasts at 128kbit/s, that would be around 20min runtime, or 2-3 min download time. I'd be very surprised if you get 1k visitors hitting your website in 2-3 mins exactly.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • AnthonySmith said: I personally think that the best way to build an audience is not to restrict yourself to 1 avenue, upload it to sound cloud, iTunes, YouTube, get listed on pocastaddict, and also have a vps that lists the weekly shows with a simple website that has links to the shows on the various outlets.

I am very new to this. I thought it is only hosted in 1 place (E.g. Sound Cloud) and then submit to itunes the links. And also on the website, have a player that plays the sound cloud hosted file. Yes understood youtube needs to upload separately.

• teamacc said: Given 20mb podcasts at 128kbit/s, that would be around 20min runtime, or 2-3 min download time. I'd be very surprised if you get 1k visitors hitting your website in 2-3 mins exactly.

I agree

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

If you have a gbit server, you might be able to get away with 500 at once... doesn't sound unpractical to me but I could be wrong.

@donli said:
    Ok so: 5,000 users x 20Mb x 4 per month = 400 Gb/month. Not outrageous monthly bandwidth.

The problem will be if you have 5,000 regular listeners and you announce a new poscast on say your twitter account and say 500 of those listeners simultaneously try to download the latest podcast.

There seem to be a lot of companies specializing in this area:

https://www.weeditpodcasts.com/8-top-podcast-hosting-companies/

and your cost would be $10-$20/month (less when you startup and have fewer listeners). Looks like something you should consider outsourcing to one of them and concentrate on your content. A VPS with sufficient (simultaneous) bandwidth would probably cost as much.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited April 2018

I hosted a podcast for some years. 10k listeners, 1 episode/week and 100-250mb/episode. Had it running on a Hetzner CX20, later on a 2 core cloud server without any problems except the 2TB traffic included in a CX20 not being enough. Shouldn't be a problem with the 20TB that they include now.

Users made me aware of the fact I could easily compress non-music mp3s to opus files resulting in 75% size loss. I didn't want to switch the codec because most users were DAUs that are simply used to mp3s.

For website I would stay away from wordpress and host a static html site serving the mp3's along with an RSS Feed for people to put into iTunes, VLC and other podcaster apps.