Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asterisk on VPS - smart idea? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Asterisk on VPS - smart idea?

2»

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

asterisk14 said: Don't think I'll bother, you cancelled my vps after I complained it had been suspended.

asterisk14 said: I wasn't hacked, and my CPU load was minimal 0.01 most of the time.

Oh right, you were the guy that complained about being offline (due to running out of resources to the point where networking was not running.) I believe other than that your suspension reason was for 65K conntrack sessions. You were refunded fully out of courtesy.

asterisk14 said: I'm running it on a DigitalOcean now, but have run it on many providers, including LEB providers from here, and it was never suspended by any of them.

Please try having 65K conntrack sessions / DoS attack without protection and let me know how it goes with other providers.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@VirMach said:

asterisk14 said: Don't think I'll bother, you cancelled my vps after I complained it had been suspended.

asterisk14 said: I wasn't hacked, and my CPU load was minimal 0.01 most of the time.

Oh right, you were the guy that complained about being offline (due to running out of resources to the point where networking was not running.) I believe other than that your suspension reason was for 65K conntrack sessions. You were refunded fully out of courtesy.

asterisk14 said: I'm running it on a DigitalOcean now, but have run it on many providers, including LEB providers from here, and it was never suspended by any of them.

Please try having 65K conntrack sessions / DoS attack without protection and let me know how it goes with other providers.

Heh guys. Its Easter, be cool with each other, please!

@asterisk14, indeed. You cannot compare a $7.50 USD/yr with a $5 USD/mo VPS.
    The anti-abuse system simply grabs the usage for your VPS. 65k conntrack sessions get you suspended in any VPS company.

• Get ready for some fun!! Its a giant pain but certain things can make your life easier. Go with a provider that offers snapshots and hourly billing. Get it running smoothly learn What's up then consider redoing it fresh on a more budget host.

Lock down all the ports except ssh, and calling. Should be 2-3 ports tops. Change default ssh port and disable ssh root login. Make sure users have generated passwords and user names. Not one you came up with yourself.

Your VPS should be less than 50ms ping. Lower the better.

Dick around with this for hours than realize a raspberry pi zero for $5 might given you similar performance. ;)

Unless your using this for commercial reasons or really want these photos in different locations putting the solution in a VPS for your own personal use is a bit overkill.

• @sureiam said:
    Lock down all the ports except ssh, and calling. Should be 2-3 ports tops. Change default ssh port and disable ssh root login. Make sure users have generated passwords and user names. Not one you came up with yourself.

fail2ban can help here, otherwise expect a large log file soon.....

Unless your using this for commercial reasons or really want these photos in different locations putting the solution in a VPS for your own personal use is a bit overkill.

VPS is good way to go in my opinion (openvz minimum 128MB RAM+128MB Swap with 1-static IP can start at $1.xx/month), especially if need to register to asterisk server while outside/traveling with dynamic IP address...

But yes, find one with good connectivity to trunks and very low latency... <50ms is good.. prefer <30ms (Round-trip)

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited April 2018

@MikePT said:

@VirMach said:

Heh guys. Its Easter, be cool with each other, please!

@asterisk14, indeed. You cannot compare a $7.50 USD/yr with a $5 USD/mo VPS.
    The anti-abuse system simply grabs the usage for your VPS. 65k conntrack sessions get you suspended in any VPS company.

I wasn't comparing Virmach to DigitalOcean, but I've ran it on Host1Free (remember them??), VirtualVM, nephoscale, without problems or issues from the vps provider. You couldn't get a worse vps provider then Host1Free and it worked fine despite their downtime.

@sureiam said:
    Go with a provider that offers snapshots and hourly billing. Get it running smoothly learn What's up then consider redoing it fresh on a more budget host.

This is good advice. BTW OP do you know how to write the config files for asterisk?

He'll need 5060 and some RTP ports for audio. Make sure you know the audio ports and that your SIP device is using the same ones. If you can try to avoid the default 5060 port as that it the one that gets scanned/hacked, try to use a different one if you can.

Your VPS should be less than 50ms ping. Lower the better.

This does matter that much in my experience. I have had latency of ~140ms and it's been OK, obviously the less the better but it;s not critical.

Dick around with this for hours than realize a raspberry pi zero for $5 might given you similar performance. ;)

This! Try to run it on a local machine as it's easier to set up, if you have spare PC lying about try it on that.

This is true too, the better ATA can do LCR, multiple DID so a asterisk server is a needless expense. Check out the OBI or Linksys/Sipura SPA devices eg SPA series that do multiple providers.