Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner 1GB port is shared ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner 1GB port is shared ?

on 17th,I bought the discount server with payment 23 EURO.
on 26th I tried to download a file from KIMSUFI franch server,
at the beginning, it has a speed of 10MB/S, shows 4 hours will finish downloading.
but 2hours later, when I check, the speed is about 2MB/S, and shows about 12 hours will finish the downloading
and 40hours later, the downloading still not finished, now the speed is about 100-200kb/s

I doubt if the KS4C limit the speed, and used a linode Germany location to try download the file. in 2 hour, the speed is always over 8mb/s

So I'm thinking, if the hetzner limiting the speed or the 1GB port shared?
and do u have same condition?

Comments

• I contacted the HETZNER support department, they denied the limit of speed

• of course its shared........

• graphicgraphic Member
    edited March 2018

Never had any speed problems with hetzner. Always pulling and pushing 1gbps.

Install iperf3 and test those commands for download and upload.

iperf3 -c speedtest.serverius.net -p 5002 -P 10 -4

iperf3 -c speedtest.serverius.net -p 5002 -P 10 -4 -R

You'll see always over 900mbps.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • TomTom Member

Isn't kimsufi 100Mbps?

• @Tom said:
    Isn't kimsufi 100Mbps?

yes, and linode run a download with speed 8-10mb/s

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Could be disk issues.
    If it can’t write fast enough to disk, download speed would suffer.

There are many variables that can cause this.
    Try a multi-threaded download.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • scam, transfer it to me.

Thanked by 2ralph Wolveix
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2018

Well, thats usual, if you offer 100Mbit non dedicated, you end up on a 1Gbit switch with 10-20 servers connected to it.

Hetzner maybe has 10Gbit switches, with 1 uplink and 10-20 servers connected to it, btw on these auction servers you just have 20TB anway on Gbit, thats far away from dedicated.

"Up to € 38.99 20 TB", about 300TB would be dedicated.

But for some reason, the wiki says: "All dedicated servers have a dedicated 1 Gbit uplink. "

https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Traffic/en

• maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited March 2018

@Neoon said:
    Well, thats usual, if you offer 100Mbit non dedicated, you end up on a 1Gbit switch with 10-20 servers connected to it.

Hetzner maybe has 10Gbit switches, with 1 uplink and 10-20 servers connected to it, btw on these auction servers you just have 20TB anway on Gbit, thats far away from dedicated.

But for some reason, the wiki says: "All dedicated servers have a dedicated 1 Gbit uplink. "

Yes all servers have a dedicated uplink that is connected to a shared 1Gbit line

:~)

Thanked by 2Aidan webcraft
  • Your ip shows that you're from inside china. Are you sure the peering is good towards you (it's not) and the GFW isnt blocking/throttling you?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@maldovia said:

@Neoon said:

Yes all servers have a dedicated uplink that is connected to a shared 1Gbit line

:~)

Makes sense, 1Gbit dedicated to 10Gbit switch, which has 20 servers connected, fucking marketing.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited March 2018

Realize that the fact where Hetzner hooks you up to a 1 Gbit port does not mean you get a dedicated 1 Gbit all the time, it only means your theoretical bandwidth speeds maxes out at 1 Gbit. Both sharing the upstream switches/routers' uplink as well as the route that gets picked to the destination and back and forth, may also (negatively) impact your service...

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Cough, seems like some people responded in the meantime while I forgot about this tab...

• I've yet to see backup speeds from Hetzner (Falkenstein dedi) to my liteserver storage (serverius, Dronten) dip below 95MB/sec. (you NEED offsite backups)

Hetzner pipes are always clean for me.

Plus, their additional purchased bandwidth pricing is quite reasonable. It has come down to 1Eur/additional TB. https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Traffic/en#Option_1