Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UBservers.com, again a provider with crashed VPS node
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

UBservers.com, again a provider with crashed VPS node

BoeriBoeri Member
edited February 2012 in General

I don't understand this anymore. After the QualityServers.co.uk issues, I've transferred my VPS image to this new provider to "save" my VPS data. A few days (today) later I receive the following email:

this morning we had a major issue on the master node.

Unfortunately, the VPS located on the master node were lost.
This situation is unacceptable and we will take the necessary steps to ensure this never happens again.
Your VPS will be rebuilt and the next month of service will be free of charge.

I asked why it not possible to mount the disk array to another server:

This is the first time we have such an issue.

If it was only a disk failure, we would have rebuilt the array by now.
However, there was a major failure and it was out of our control.
We understand your frustration. We can either create now a new VPS on a node in the USA or you can wait a little more and stay in Europe.

What would be a major failure? Datacenter burnt down today ? I'm done with it.

Comments

• ask for more information.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Yea, "Not paying the bills" is a pretty serious failure.

If you get a new IP in a whole new datacenter, you know what happened :)

Francisco

• I have never liked the Idea of hosting customers on the master to save a few bucks a month, Pointless.

I get charged £1.25 Per International Transaction anyway, Thiefs..!

• BoeriBoeri Member
    edited February 2012

I've asked for more information.

Can you please be more clear in what happened? I'm indeed really frustrated at this point.

What could be more dramatic than a broken disk array? Did the server get burned down?
    I hope I can restore my trust in your company. I don't want to loose my data for a third time.
    I understand that a company for this price can't deliver a great SLA. But lost data is something I don't unstand nowadays.
    Even if it would take days or weeks to recover the data, it is not a big issue. If there was just a way to get our data back.

reply UBservers.com:

Hello,

Please be sure that we share your frustration.
    It might appear that we are a budget provider, but we strive to provide quality.
    However, this time it was out of our control and the data was erased from the server.
    Let us know if you wish to proceed with a USA VPS for now.

hmmm....Some people just don't get it....

• @Boeri ...

ask again and again till the tell you what happened.

• @Boeri I know what happened, they just aren't able to figure it out. It's happened to us in the past.

A disk was bad for some time and the filesystem got screwed due to a disk not being automatically taken out of the array by the hardware raid controller.

• I was typing my reply and now:

Website Offline, No Cached Version Available

The website you are trying to access is currently offline. The most likely causes are the server is down for maintenance, there may be a network problem, or the site may be experiencing excessive load.
    The site uses CloudFlare in order to help keep it online when the server is down by serving cached copies of pages where they are available. Unfortunately, a cached copy of the page you requested is not available, but you may be able to reach other cached pages on the site.

ZzzzzZZZ so sick of it :)

• @Corey
    Ok thanks for your reply :)
    I just planned to do a backup of my image ( which i stored on their VPS as a temporary solution ) Because qualityservers did a sector by sector copy and the image was 40GB. It is a pain to download this in Belgium with all the traffic limits :)

• What serious hosting company would use cloudflare?

• @DotVPS you seem to use it for dns servers and google for emailing.

Why?

• @DotVPS why not on a VPS server? you're supposed to have 100% uptime.

i'm not arguing, don't take it that way, just asking.

• @OneTwo said: google for emailing

AsuraHosting uses Google Business Apps too; it's got a lot of good applications and I can access them all through my iPhone. It's only $5/month per user in the company, not that bad.

• @DotVPS great thanks.

keep in mind there's an edit button.

• @DotVPS btw, there are some 404 errors on your page.

• Heh, I think @Francisco is right... A problem "out of control" and supossedly crashed disks and wiped data, IMHO means that, billing issues and the server got wiped n_n

• I too lost all my data but fortunately I made a backup of the databases before 2 days!

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2012

I've actually seen what @Corey mentioned, on one of our utility nodes. Now we have daily emails that get set to us to let us know the state of the array, good or bad.

You'd think they would just come out and say it though. I'd rather a host admits that they had a hole in their disaster planning than just say it's "out of our control".

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

So here's a question.

Did your solusVM information change? If they really did lose the array, then you should have a 100% fresh username.

If you only have a fresh VZ, it means:

• They were never hosting VM's on the master (pretty unlikely)
    • They backed up the DB before the box went south/cancelled

Francisco

• @Francisco I totally forgot they were hosting VM's on the master and I was about to say

'wtf u talkin about'

Did your solusVM information change? If they really did lose the array, then you should have a 100% fresh username.