Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switzerland 10 Gbit/s Fiber at home for 50 Swiss francs (USD 52, EUR 42) per month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Switzerland 10 Gbit/s Fiber at home for 50 Swiss francs (USD 52, EUR 42) per month

niconico Member
edited March 2018 in General

A local provider launched today 10 Gbit/s fiber super cheap.

I'm really wondering if they would like my usage case on this.

https://fiber.salt.ch/en/#/

I think such price is worldwide very rare. As they also clearly say unlimited and the fact that on their 4G network they don't make trouble with 10+ TB monthly this could be true.

Only downside I must use my Juniper MX80 that I have as spare part here, as my Ubiquiti router don't offer 10G.

Comments

• ... They use something called the GPON-topology. So these 10Gbit/s are shared with 32 or 64 customers.

Also their peering so far is almost single-homed (Cogent). They peer with Swisscom but I wonder where they actually use this peering.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • niconico Member
    edited March 2018

Someone told me they would merge the network to https://bgp.he.net/AS12322
    As this offer would make no sense trough Cogent/Swisscom.

Regarding GPON I don't know, nowhere officially mention. Kuenzler/Init7 try to protect his own offer.

• Sure, I agree with you. We'll see how it goes.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

plueschopath said: Also their peering so far is almost single-homed (Cogent)

I'd still sign up for that in an instant for ~$53/mo, lol.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • RamiRami Member

Don't wait and sign up
    I'm paying $14 for 4M/1M ADSL :(

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • lemonlemon Member

I guess their TOS state that you're not allowed to run homeservers etc. ?

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • I'm sure it being shared and this being Salt it sucks.
    If you want good home isp check out init7.

• niconico Member

@DashKiller said:
    I'm sure it being shared and this being Salt it sucks.
    If you want good home isp check out init7.

Sure it will be shared, but depending on the destinations probably you can reach the max speed.
    As I got informed there was a high impact from the new owner of Salt who runs a popular ISP in France.
    I don't know the home offer of Init7 but their business offers suck and somehow I don't like Peering-Fredy.

• TommySRVTommySRV Member
    edited March 2018

@nico said:
    Someone told me they would merge the network to https://bgp.he.net/AS12322
    As this offer would make no sense trough Cogent/Swisscom.

Regarding GPON I don't know, nowhere officially mention. Kuenzler/Init7 try to protect his own offer.

even if, it's rly nice offer!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its shared, not dedicated, they do not even guarantee you minimum bandwidth.

• BigBBigB Member
    edited March 2018

You will be soon eligible for Salt Fiber Box.

Lets Hope for the best.
    Some VPS could become unnecessary.

• pikepike Veteran

@Neoon said:
    Its shared, not dedicated, they do not even guarantee you minimum bandwidth.

Well, tell someone that pays 55€/month for 64/10Mbit VDSL (with guarantee at least 32/5Mbit) that his connection is better than shared 10Gbit FTTH.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Nobody can guarantee you something. Or do you really think if Init7 has 100 customers on the PoP, they have a 100G link to the backbone? If you wish redundancy, they'd need at least 200G in total!

It's also useless if you don't have an SLA with payback, for the case they breach the SLA.

• That's great and all but you'll never hit max speed on anything, ever. Would be awesome if you ran a softether node though

• davidavi Member

Just ordered as it is quite good deal than my current one.