Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Set up internet access for esxi hosts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to Set up internet access for esxi hosts

AryaStarkAryaStark Member
edited March 2018 in General

Hi all,

I've 3 bare metal servers and these are configured with vmware vsphere 6.5 OS. As by default these vmware esxi doesn't public access so couldn't access internet. These esxi hosts are connected together in a private vlan. And we have Vyatta configured with internet access.
And that private Vlan is routed to pass it's traffic through vyatta. vyatta is able to ping google.com but these esxi host are unable to ping. can anyone help me how to configure this and explain me the things that i'm missing to configure.

Comments

• Hi there, what is the vswitch configuration of the hosts? I presume the esxi hosts have a vmkernel port on the same range as vyatta and the gateway is vyatta which can be pinged?

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Do you want access from/to the host itself of the VMs on the hosts?

• like to host itself of VMs?

• hostfavhostfav Member, Host Rep

Did you configure NAT rule in Vyatta ?

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Is the Vyatta instance a virtual machine on one of the hosts, or a physical machine? If it's
    a VM you need to add a VMKernel network on the same vSwitch as your Vyatta LAN interface. Then you can assign an IP address, add routing rules, etc.

If the Vyatta instance is a physical machine are you able to ping it from your ESXi hosts? Are other devices on the VLAN able to access the Internet?