Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap dediserver allowed GRE tunnel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap dediserver allowed GRE tunnel?

Hi.
i have a small project want to make a GRE tunnel from OVH or Voxittly server,
i think the backend server need allowed route other datacenter ip address(like OVH or other).

client---ip1---GRE tunnel--ip2----client

so how to find this server?
i have no own ASN and ip space,so i can not give you LOA.

i ask Psychz,it's answer me need LOA..

Thank you

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

LOA for a GRE tunnel? That doesn't sound right.

Maybe I'm not completely understanding this, but you definitely don't need a LOA to set up a GRE tunnel. You're just forwarding traffic from one server to another. I've done it before without needing a LOA or anything like that.

BuyVM has a nice wiki entry with instructions on how to set it up:
    https://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel

Thanked by 2Clouvider themyth
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

I think Psychz might have misunderstood you? They would require a LoA in the event they had to announce IP space on your behalf. In this event, you would technically just proxy to the other side of the GRE tunnel.
    I can recommend the tutorial as referenced by @MasonR ;-)
    Good luck.

• @MasonR said:

Maybe I'm not completely understanding this, but you definitely don't need a LOA to set up a GRE tunnel. You're just forwarding traffic from one server to another. I've done it before without needing a LOA or anything like that.

Okay, Buyvm all the datacenter can allowed GRE tunnel and allow packets from IP addresses in other ISPs to pass as source addresses? Thank you! If you can, I'll try it now.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@themyth said:

@MasonR said:

Okay, Buyvm all the datacenter can allowed GRE tunnel and allow packets from IP addresses in other ISPs to pass as source addresses? Thank you! If you can, I'll try it now.

Well, this would allow spoofing so not really.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • @themyth said:
    Hi.
    i think the backend server need allowed route other datacenter ip address(like OVH or other).

Thank you

Just a FYI: LOAs are used for proving that you are authorized to announce a certain range of addresses when peering with most networks.

• Clouvider said: Well, this would allow spoofing so not really.

>
    sorry.i don't know what's spoofing?
    i just use my own ip address from other datacenter
    thank you

• @doghouch said:

@themyth said:
    Hi.

Thank you

Just a FYI: LOAs are used for proving that you are authorized to announce a certain range of addresses when peering with most networks.

yes,i see now.thank you

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Most providers should allow you to build a GRE tunnel, unless they're blocking protocols for some shitty reason.

If you have root access to both VMs then you really shouldn't need to involve your host at all... just setup the tunnel on both ends and assign some RFC1918 address space to it.

LOA's are only used if you are going to be authorizing someone to announce your public IPs on your behalf, not at all relevant for building a tunnel between 2 VMs

• @freerangecloud said:
    Most providers should allow you to build a GRE tunnel, unless they're blocking protocols for some shitty reason.

If you have root access to both VMs then you really shouldn't need to involve your host at all... just setup the tunnel on both ends and assign some RFC1918 address space to it.

LOA's are only used if you are going to be authorizing someone to announce your public IPs on your behalf, not at all relevant for building a tunnel between 2 VMs

but i found the ISPs can not route my other VM's ip address,they like block it.

• I ve tried, its only ur ISP isnt accepting the package sent from ur tunnelled server. U gotta need BGP.

• mkshmksh Member
    edited March 2018

@Clouvider said:

@themyth said:

@MasonR said:

Well, this would allow spoofing so not really.

Exactly this. Also it seems OP does not really understand the idea behind using a tunnel.

@themyth what's the point of your tunnel when you expose the IP of the backend server by sending spoofed packets with it's IP as the source? Doesn't make sense to me and if you scratch that finding a suitable provider will be dead easy.

Edit: Why is OPs post tagged aggressive networks!?

Thanked by 1Clouvider