Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

openvpn port forward
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

openvpn port forward

cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Hi guys,my sister has a shoutcast server installed on her home network and i have a openvpn server installed on my vps. Now when my sister connects to the vpn and i try to tune to her shoutcast(without vpn) at 123.456.789.10:51888, it fails.

(FYI, i am not using the vpn,sister's VPN internal static LAN IP 192.168.1.2 VPS ip:123.456.789.10, shoutcast port is 51888),

Do i need to set up iptable rules in the vps? I have tried,

-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 51888:51890 -j ACCEPT (51888 being the port of my sister's shoutcast server hosted from her pc)

and it doesn't work.

Comments

• I don't know how shoutcast works, but... probably shoutcast binds to just one network interface? If that, maybe you need to configure it to bind to another interface, or do an iptables forward maybe...

• iptables forward, like forwarding internal lan ip 192.168.1.2 to vps ip in iptables?

• Forwarding the request in the OpenVPN interface to your normal interface (where shoutcast works fine).

Maybe this can help http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-port-redirection-with-iptables/

But first, I think you must check the docs if is possible to bind to an specific interface. Also, maybe showing here an output of

netstat -natp

as root may help.
    Hide whatever you want or just show the lines related to shoutcast :P

Thanked by 1fan
  • netstat -natp doesn't show my shoutcast at all as it is not a service on the vps.

• I didn't mean to show it in your VPS but your home machine.

In other words, your VPS can see your shoutcast?

• This is one of the reasons i use openVPNAS its soo easy to portforward Amongst other things

• Yomero: let me do that after I'm back from traveling. Still stuck at the airport with a delayed flight at the moment.

Danielim: mind sharing how to do that on openvpnas? I'm using openvpnas btw.

• @cosmicgate said: Danielim: mind sharing how to do that on openvpnas? I'm using openvpnas btw.

Logon to admin panel, > User Permissions > Click Show > Then its on that page. You need to have setup static IP's too ( Can be Internal Range)

• DanielM: I've set static ip. Do i configure the option "VPN Gateway"?

• okay nvm and finally got it resolved.

Contacted openvpnas and realized i've put "vps-client-Lan IP/port" in the DMZ settings instead, it should be 'vps-public-ip/port" in DMZ setting.

• @cosmicgate said: Contacted openvpnas and realized i've put "vps-client-Lan IP/port" in the DMZ settings instead, it should be 'vps-public-ip/port" in DMZ setting.

No it can be the natted ip in the DMZ setting. Just as long as its setup as a static IP on the client profile. Make sure you specifiy UDP/TCP

• i didnt even have to set static ip for client, the openvpn just refers to the userid and made all the changes in iptables.

gotta love paid software.