Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free BuyVM Stock Notifier - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free BuyVM Stock Notifier

2»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2018

Thanks for the interest and the return of an old website :P

Stock gets reloaded on the 1st and 10th of the month from cancellations.

I'll be adding more nodes to Vegas in the coming month or so to go along side the slab launch.

Both NY & LU will be getting additional slice nodes to go with their slab launches as well, but for the most part I'm not looking to rush and add more racks in either of those locations.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • lazytlazyt Member

I hope the nugget of the day was archived.

AnthonySmith said: On Topic: nice effort @OP great to see things like this pop up in the community, I suspect we are going to see BuyVM enter the major leagues within the next 1 - 3 years and see the big boys shit a brick, fran is highly skilled and innovative, the fact that the stock checker exists now in multiple forms for BuyVM is testament to that.

Who knows :)

The big question is how well Slabs will do. I feel those are very much a make/break thing for me. If it works as well as it looks like on paper it'll be huge.

Francisco

• HarzemHarzem Member
    edited March 2018

Okay I gotta ask, @Francisco, what are Slabs, compared to Slices? I can't find the word "slab" on your website.

@Harzem said:
    Okay I gotta ask, @Francisco, what are Slabs, compared to Slices? I can't find the word "slab" on your website.

Slabs is the nickname for an old configuration I came up with to make better use of newer hardware on our OVZ gear. We ran into a lot of issues with compatibility, performance, etc, so we ended up making a very large KVM on a good sized node and would have the users inside that.

It became a meme but in the end many providers I know do the exact same thing now for the very same reasons I mentioned.

We're in the midst of launching block storage at a 1TB/$5 price point and I decided to take the meme back as my own and used that as the name for the product.

Francisco

• So, basically your next-gen storage offer is called slabs. Thanks, I keep reading that word on buyvm threads and didn't know what it was.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • WSSWSS Member

@Harzem said:
    So, basically your next-gen storage offer is called slabs.

Last generation is called glue.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

All I think about when referring to slabs.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited March 2018

trewq said: All I think about when referring to slabs.

I think of a morgue.

Live cam of BuyVM DC:

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@Francisco said: We're in the midst of launching block storage at a 1TB/$5 price point and I decided to take the meme back as my own and used that as the name for the product.

I may be alone in this, but I feel that "topping" works better than "slab" with the pizza slice metaphor.

Thanked by 1raindog308
    edited March 2018

@angstrom said:

@Francisco said: We're in the midst of launching block storage at a 1TB/$5 price point and I decided to take the meme back as my own and used that as the name for the product.

I may be alone in this, but I feel that "topping" works better than "slab" with the pizza slice metaphor.

Nope, we definitely buy slabs to have with our pizza here :P

Thanked by 2caracal Aidan
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@trewq said:

@angstrom said:

Nope, we defiantly buy slabs to have with our pizza here :P

Ah, yeah, you're from Down Under. ;-)

• lbftlbft Member
    edited March 2018

trewq said: Nope, we defiantly buy slabs to have with our pizza here :P

You couldn't pick a better beer than VB? :P

Thanked by 1Aidan

@lbft said:

trewq said: Nope, we defiantly buy slabs to have with our pizza here :P

You couldn't pick a better beer than VB? :P

Went for the classic ;)

angstrom said: I may be alone in this, but I feel that "topping" works better than "slab" with the pizza slice metaphor.

I like "dough".

This allows you to buy bigger nodes ("deep dish") and smaller nodes ("thin crust").

• WSSWSS Member

also, if you want a @raindog308 special, theres a "Smelly fish nobody else wants" option.

WSS said: also, if you want a @raindog308 special, theres a "Smelly fish nobody else wants" option.

My late dog's favorite food was anchovies. I still have several cans that haven't quite expired (they last forever).

I'm not sure they'd be popular at the local food pantry...

On the other hand, if the Apocalypse comes and the only thing left in my house to eat is anchovies...that will suck.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

WSS said: also, if you want a @raindog308 special, theres a "Smelly fish nobody else wants" option.

My late dog's favorite food was anchovies. I still have several cans that haven't quite expired (they last forever).

I can't even imagine the smell. Dear god - I give mine more than two tablespoons of peanut butter and there's disturbingly-brown-evil the next day.

On the other hand, if the Apocalypse comes and the only thing left in my house to eat is anchovies...that will suck.

I think I'd rather let the zombies win- not that the rot would be all that different - oral sex aside.

• @angstrom said:

I always thought of it as a cake slice metaphor.

• agiaagia Member

Wow so many replies! :) Thanks to all of you for the feedback

I will try to reply here to some of the questions :)

@teamacc said:
    Could you move the "Slice1024" for LV to its appropriate position?

Also, those kimsufi stock checkers have another column called "Last available on", so people can see if it's likely it'll become available soon. Might be cool to implement.

Ustalla said: Make one for his web hosting too ;)

Totally, I am adding it to my ToDo list :)

@Xei said:
    I think the real question ... is the site hosted at BuyVM?

Unfortunately not! It all started as a weekend project to experiment with Django and Heroku and then turned into something else :D Unfortunately I do not have any experience with hosting django app and my current vps does not support docker-magic (openvz) but as soon as I can get my hands on a new slice with the new storage I will definitely think about migrating it!

Francisco said: The big question is how well Slabs will do. I feel those are very much a make/break thing for me. If it works as well as it looks like on paper it'll be huge.

Honestly I think a lot of people are looking forward to it :) I am just waiting for the new block storage to get out in order to get a kvm slice, a nice storage and migrate my old openvz vps to kvm :)

Keep up with the good work!

Would you guys be interested in a Twitter bot? Should I add it to my ToDo list too? :D

• agia said: Let me know you opinion!

Add BuyShared

• VossVoss Member

A BuyVM stock thread in 2018?

• Lots of green today