Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review - CrownCloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review - CrownCloud

sidewindersidewinder Member
edited March 2018 in Reviews

Signed up here for the 2gig SSD plan:
https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/139307/crowncloud-500-gb-kvm-storage-at-los-angeles-ca-5-month-or-25-semi-annually-more/p1

Set up was fast, was confused as to why I chose an OS on signup, why the control panel told me I was online ** AND ** told me I was running CentOS 6 when no OS installed on signup.

Pretty odd behavior, but support was very fast and friendly. I am moving sites over from BudgetVM, with whom I have been with for a long time (4 + years) through thick and thin.

I will update this thread later on down the road. I do wish they had some sort of managed or add-on snapshot ability. As a VPS customer, our biggest risk is often the provider disappearing, so managed backups don't do much good in those situations, but I still would pay for them if they were an option.

Here is the nench if anyone cares,

------------------------------------------------                          
 nench.sh v2017.06.01 -- https://git.io/nench.sh                          
 benchmark timestamp:    2018-03-10 04:20:34 UTC                          
-------------------------------------------------                         

Processor:    Intel Xeon E312xx (Sandy Bridge)                            
CPU cores:    4                                                           
Frequency:    2599.996 MHz                                                
RAM:          1.8G                                                        
Swap:         1.0G                                                        
Kernel:       Linux 2.6.32-696.el6.x86_64 x86_64                          

Disks:                                                                    
vda     30G  HDD                                                          

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB                                                
    4.654 seconds                                                         
CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB                                             
    8.414 seconds                                                         
CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB                                                
    1.984 seconds                                                         

ioping: seek rate                                                         
    min/avg/max/mdev = 43.2 us / 64.6 us / 3.61 ms / 28.6 us              
ioping: sequential read speed                                             
    generated 26.9 k requests in 5.00 s, 6.56 GiB, 5.37 k iops, 1.31 GiB/s

dd: sequential write speed                                                
    1st run:    440.60 MiB/s                                              
    2nd run:    571.25 MiB/s                                              
    3rd run:    609.40 MiB/s                                              
    average:    540.42 MiB/s                                              

IPv4 speedtests                                                           
    your IPv4:                                             

Cachefly CDN:         52.77 MiB/s                                     
    Leaseweb (NL):        5.11 MiB/s                                      
    Softlayer DAL (US):   4.91 MiB/s                                      
    Online.net (FR):      6.74 MiB/s                                      
    OVH BHS (CA):         8.08 MiB/s                                      

No IPv6 connectivity detected                                             
-------------------------------------------------                         
Thanked by 3uptime SpeedBus eol

Comments

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

If you signed up for 2Gb of RAM (or 2048Mb), why your test shows 1.8Gb?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

@WebProject said:
    If you signed up for 2Gb of RAM (or 2048Mb), why your test shows 1.8Gb?

As it's a KVM based VPS which runs it's own kernel, there is some memory reserved out right during the boot time by the kernel itself, this is similar to the host-node or any machine running it's own kernel (say even an Android Phone?) where, the free -m output would not be 1:1 to the actual RAM on the node, it would be a few 200 - 300 MB or more off the actual value.

for example,

free -m reports, 31875 on a 32 GB RAM server, which is around, (32 GB *1024) - 31875 = 893 MB off the actual "total" RAM.

[root@dev ~]# free -m
                       total          used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:          31875       27488         209         157        4177        3115
    Swap:          2048        2048          0

but if you check "cat /proc/meminfo"

[root@dev ~]# awk '/MemTotal/ {print $2}' /proc/meminfo
    32640644 (in KB)

which is around the actual 32 GB value.

or yet another way to check would be to checkout the RAM sticks listed out in "dmidecode" (yes, even on a KVM based VPS it would output the actual RAM set on the VPS)

• Why not review BudgetVM instead of CrownCloud?

• CrownCloud is good enough no need review. :D

Thanked by 2SpeedBus Mathias
  • CrownCloud is very good, RAM 2G with your VPS is true.

Thanked by 2SpeedBus Mathias

Thank you for the review! :)

We will be working on the template auto-install setup soon, which should help speed up the order -> use process as well.

sidewinder said: I do wish they had some sort of managed or add-on snapshot ability.

Your VPS should have 1 snapshot included by default, http://wiki.crowncloud.net/?How_to_use_Snapshots_in_CrownPanel -- if this tab is missing from your panel, please do drop in a ticket and we'll have this corrected out for you :)

Thanks! :)

• Big fan of CrownCloud with them since 2015 1st class provider

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited April 2018

Well, it's not automated and I guess it can't be bc I'd have to shut the VPS down to use it, so it's useless for me but maybe others will find utility. I would pay for some sort of rotating, automated, live snapshot add-on FWIW.

So far so good with CrownCloud. They answered tickets promptly, my node seems stable, etc. Def recommend them to anyone else reading this thread.

@SpeedBus said:
    Thank you for the review! :)

We will be working on the template auto-install setup soon, which should help speed up the order -> use process as well.

sidewinder said: I do wish they had some sort of managed or add-on snapshot ability.

Your VPS should have 1 snapshot included by default, http://wiki.crowncloud.net/?How_to_use_Snapshots_in_CrownPanel -- if this tab is missing from your panel, please do drop in a ticket and we'll have this corrected out for you :)

Thanks! :)

• Recently had about 2 days of downtime with my node. I don't know exactly how long because they never emailed anyone a status, never mentioned it on Twitter, etc.

Did I open a ticket and ask them? No - why should I? They know the nodes are down but a fucking email letting their clients know what was going on would have been nice.

It's great the nodes actually came back - but the lack of communication really sucks and I would be careful going forward.

Can you imagine BuyVM with 2 days of downtime and no communication?

Just my 2 cents. It doesn't feel like this provider is going to disappear into the night, but that is always the biggest fear with a VPS provider that hasn't been around for 10 years.

Hosthatch always lets me know what's going on - planned downtime, RAID died and is rebuilding, whatever.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Don't they have a status website?

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@krudalis said:
    Don't they have a status website?

https://status.crowncloud.net/

• @krudalis said:

Has no info other than telling me water is wet. Yes, I know the node is down, yes I know water is wet.

Why is it down? What is the ETA on recovery? They had 2 days of downtime and no communication, no twitter, nothing.

Now that I think about I am surprised it came back online.

Lack of communication in this situation is unforgivable.

• MridulMridul Member
    edited December 2018

He is one of the most kind hosts I have ever seen. Very Helpful and Honest.

@SpeedBus

Thanked by 2brueggus SpeedBus
  • @Mridul said:
    He is one of the most kind hosts I have ever seen. Very Helpful and Honest.

@SpeedBus

Should have communicated with clients about the outage.

It is indefensible.

edited December 2018

@sidewinder said:
    Recently had about 2 days of downtime with my node. I don't know exactly how long because they never emailed anyone a status, never mentioned it on Twitter, etc.

Did I open a ticket and ask them? No - why should I? They know the nodes are down but a fucking email letting their clients know what was going on would have been nice.

It's great the nodes actually came back - but the lack of communication really sucks and I would be careful going forward.

Can you imagine BuyVM with 2 days of downtime and no communication?

Just my 2 cents. It doesn't feel like this provider is going to disappear into the night, but that is always the biggest fear with a VPS provider that hasn't been around for 10 years.

Hosthatch always lets me know what's going on - planned downtime, RAID died and is rebuilding, whatever.

Hi,
    Firstly, many apologies for the,
    1. lack of communication
    2. downtime itself

We have made an internal note to all staff/member who detects the downtime right away to send out emails from here on - so everyone is updated that we're aware of the issue/working on it/further updates, we usually post more updates to status.crowncloud.net but yes, adding an ETA/detailed updates would've been better.

On the other hand, Clients who had dropped in a ticket were updated, but yes, in hindsight/thinking about it now, it would've been better to email out everyone as that would've saved time for the customer (opening ticket) and us (replying to ticket).

There is lot we've learnt from this downtime and can assure you we will communicate better as we go ahead.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Thanks - I appreciate and respect your response.

Why would anyone open a ticket? It's obvious there was an outage per your status page (and the panel if anyone logged in there) and opening a ticket seems counterproductive for everyone.

I guess the lingering question is - What happened?

@sidewinder said:
    Thanks - I appreciate and respect your response.

Why would anyone open a ticket? It's obvious there was an outage per your status page (and the panel if anyone logged in there) and opening a ticket seems counterproductive for everyone.

Thank you for understanding. We do plan on integrating a mirror of the status area into the control panel soon, so that should help cover all areas incase of an issue in the future, The backend code exists, just the UI needs work.

A RFO will be mailed out by Monday/Tuesday at most.

• I've had an awesome experience with CrownCloud as well. I used them for a while to host Docker containers. Support is always fast and helpful.

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • @sidewinder said:

FYI, the amount of details they provide on their status page per issue is same or better than any provider usually provides. I wouldn't expect more.

They are motherfucking troubleshooting problems, sometimes you don't have a reliable ETA. I can say ETA's provided are generally wrong, with it taking longer or shorter depending on whether the ETA took into account fsck scans, rebuilding shit, or just manually restarting stuff.

Why you'd come on here instead of opening a ticket with the provider asking for email status updates to be implemented makes you a whiner and shitty customer. I opened a ticket with my provider of choice asking for email subscription status service and they did. Then when I got emails for other Datacenters where I don't have servers, I opened another ticket and they implemented per location/host selection feature.

Communicate with your provider. Let them know how they can improve their service and why it's a good idea. You will often be rewarded if your provider is good and no need to find another provider and all the hassles of migrating.

• @sidewinder said:

@krudalis said:

Has no info other than telling me water is wet. Yes, I know the node is down, yes I know water is wet.

Why is it down? What is the ETA on recovery? They had 2 days of downtime and no communication, no twitter, nothing.

Now that I think about I am surprised it came back online.

Lack of communication in this situation is unforgivable.

What is your issue number? The amount of details in issue 239 is above and beyond average details for an outage in real-time. So it depends on your issue number whether there's more details needed or if you just failed to read the issue page.

• For example, from https://status.crowncloud.net/open_issue.php?id=239

2018-12-06 14:07:50
    Hi, We have identified a possible vulnerability which has originated from one of our server vendors who we use to transfer ISO's and Templates to our servers. The vulnerability seems to have originated from an unsecured IPMI on the server which we weren't aware of existing. As a precautionary measure, the nodes that have been in contact with this server have been shut down, We are in the process of backing up VPS images and re-installing the node of each server. As this is a time and painstaking process, we ask our customers to be patient with us and wait for updates on the portal. We have started getting nodes back up one after the other, we hope to complete this process in the next 4-5hrs. We truly apologize for the inconvenience caused. Thank you, CrownCloud Staff

I appreciate the dilligence in addressing the issue and can wait until it's been (carefully) resolved to learn further details.

Thanked by 1sidewinder
  • Actually, every provider I've ever used except this one will send out an email for most outages, especially ones that last 2 + days.

TWO. PLUS. DAYS.

Imagine if BuyVM or Linode had a 2+ day outage and didn't say boo?

I am not hosting a vanity website. It cost me money and the least they could have done was send out a "motherfucking" email.

YOU DIG?

@TimboJones said:

@sidewinder said:

FYI, the amount of details they provide on their status page per issue is same or better than any provider usually provides. I wouldn't expect more.

They are motherfucking troubleshooting problems, sometimes you don't have a reliable ETA. I can say ETA's provided are generally wrong, with it taking longer or shorter depending on whether the ETA took into account fsck scans, rebuilding shit, or just manually restarting stuff.

Why you'd come on here instead of opening a ticket with the provider asking for email status updates to be implemented makes you a whiner and shitty customer. I opened a ticket with my provider of choice asking for email subscription status service and they did. Then when I got emails for other Datacenters where I don't have servers, I opened another ticket and they implemented per location/host selection feature.

Communicate with your provider. Let them know how they can improve their service and why it's a good idea. You will often be rewarded if your provider is good and no need to find another provider and all the hassles of migrating.

• @SpeedBus said:

@sidewinder said:

Thank you for understanding. We do plan on integrating a mirror of the status area into the control panel soon, so that should help cover all areas incase of an issue in the future, The backend code exists, just the UI needs work.

A RFO will be mailed out by Monday/Tuesday at most.

I actually didn't see the "open" link on your status page which apparently gave a more detailed explanation. If I had clicked that I would have probably been satisfied.

Most providers send an email in this spot. Thanks for addressing the issue.

Thanked by 1SpeedBus
  • Some people seem a bit overzealous over their $5/mo service which is "not for a vanity blog" and "costs them money".

They might be happier with GoDaddy shared services which start at $1!

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited December 2018

@Letzien said:
    Some people seem a bit overzealous over their $5/mo service which is "not for a vanity blog" and "costs them money".

Just want an email like every other $5/mo service "gives" you. Costs about 0 cents.

• @Letzien said:
    Some people seem a bit overzealous over their $5/mo service which is "not for a vanity blog" and "costs them money".

I fucking hate comments like this. Your attempt at a joke doesn't even make sense and demonstrates your lack of intelligence. Why are you even here? What was your fucking point? Oh, you're a fucking comedian.

If you want to overpay for services you buy, go right the fuck ahead. Notifications and status shit should be mostly automated and not require $100/mo services. All hosting providers need to respond and get service restored ASAP regardless of service cost, that's just what hosting providers do. Paying more for service just means service credit for that 1/30th of a month, which is dick all. The better the status updates are, the less actual labor is spent of answering tickets.

Seriously, you're on LET. Fucking look around at where you're at.

• Hi, are you using their services in 2021 and 2022? how do they quality and performance vps?

• @Devdoit said: Hi, are you using their services in 2021 and 2022? how do they quality and performance vps?

No congratulations for your first post and your act of necromancy.

Thanked by 3ariq01 kevertje skorous
  • :)

Thanked by 1brueggus