Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

opensauce/gpl - Billing systems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

opensauce/gpl - Billing systems

duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
edited March 2018 in General

Are there any somewhat secure billing systems out there that qualfy as free? If offers nice plugins or if it supports X/Y/Z is irrelevant.

Edit: Reason being I'm making my own set of niche as fuck products related to web stuff.

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

There is no such thing as a secure billing system. Its a constant race between hackers and patching. Boxbilling. Inspect source code and apply your fixes, enjoy.

• What do you want it to do? What are the popular non-free choices?

• @Zen said:
    Build your own? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

You dropped this \

Thanked by 1vovler
  • cpsdcpsd Member

We are using Dolibarr

• Zen said: Build your own? ¯(ツ)

I'm expecting this XD, but my idea of an implementation sounds real dumb. Kinda looking for options/ideas.

willie said: What do you want it to do? What are the popular non-free choices?

boxbilling, thought of maybe even stuff like woocomerce and then writing something that works with it.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

So you want to have a backbone on your business provided at no cost to you, with promise of patches, some SLAs (your the one who mentioned secure) ?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited March 2018

Billing Systems that are secure and open source without hosting plugins = There's no doubt they exist, if you know what to google.

However ones with hosting plugins, your search narrows down a lot. The majority in this market would be licensed platforms (and also are 'somewhat secure'), like WHMCS, Blesta, Clientexec, Boxbilling (Free/Licensed)

These platforms above, are in the most part secure and regularly updated (Especially WHMCS/Blesta) - and if you're not looking to build your own integrations into an open source billing platform and call it yours - then it's best to just go ahead and choose one of the above, as they will serve you the best.

• WSSWSS Member

God forbid you grow large enough that it's time for some compliance concerns on something you found on PHPList..

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited March 2018

WSS said: God forbid you grow large enough that it's time for some compliance concerns on something you found on PHPList..

I don't know php XD, i'm using ruby

Clouvider said: So you want to have a backbone on your business provided at no cost to you, with promise of patches, some SLAs (your the one who mentioned secure) ?

Ok, how did you arrive to that conclusion? Really, answer me this one so I can comprehend.

No, I'm not expecting it to be free, even if I made it, I'm spending at least 30+ hrs on something simple with basic features like maxmind (20$ starting), buying whmcs isn't an issue to be honest, I'm disapointed I actually have to ask for this after the work I've done :S, but

I'm not like you guys offering vpses and stoof, just wanted to setup free hosting for niche stuff like gogs, ircd+services (limited), journey(4mbram ghost clone) and maybe discourse/ghost hosting. I'm not even thinking of offering an SLA or doing anything serious.

I'm not asking for support or SLAs, I'm not asking for something as good as paid software, I am asking tho: Out of the free options available, which one could be considered the most secure(less exploits going on?), that's all, once again, I'm not asking if there is a free billing system that is more secure than a paid one.

Edit, what I'm building would just hook an account with w.e billing system when required(I hope so far or that's the idea).

I did think of using woocomerce, having it run a script that would call my application and deploy. Any feedback on this possibility?

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2018

Clouvider said:

So you want to have a backbone on your business provided at no cost to you, with promise of patches, some SLAs (your the one who mentioned secure) ?

The model of FOSS code is just about always you can download the bits without paying, with no guarantees of any kind. If you want any support, patches or anything like that, you can pay for it or DIY. That is a big win over the proprietary model, not because the download costs nothing, but mostly because you have the option of DIY maintenance if the vendor doesn't want to accomodate your needs.

As for building the backbone of a business on that kind of code: why not? It worked for Google, Facebook, Amazon, and tons of others. They are built around GNU/Linux and are a hell of a lot more profitable than any sniffy LET host who thinks that using free software is beneath them. Oh wait, aren't the LET hosts built around GNU/Linux too? I forgot. Heh.

• WSSWSS Member

• explain who, then why, and how is this person strawmaning

• WSSWSS Member

@duckeeyuck said:
    explain who, then why, and how is this person strawmaning

explain who, then why, and how is this person is expecting a GPL billing system to be useful, secure, and worthwhile

• WSS said:

explain who, then why, and how is this person is expecting a GPL billing system to be useful, secure, and worthwhile

https://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html

• WSS said: explain who, then why, and how is this person is expecting a GPL billing system to be useful, secure, and worthwhile

Difference is, I can ;)

Out of the free options available, which one could be considered the most secure

I'm sure it's exact.

• fburgerfburger Member
    edited March 2018

Maybe hopebilling

But it seems russian. Is this secure :-)

Or buy an reseller package at dewlance for 4 dollars and get a free blesta license??

• WHTWHT Member
    edited March 2018

Thehostingtool is free and open source.

https://github.com/TheHostingTool/TheHostingTool

• jhjh Member

Phpcoin. Thank me later.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Clouvider said: So you want to have a backbone on your business provided at no cost to you, with promise of patches, some SLAs (your the one who mentioned secure) ?

I take it you only run paid RedHat or SUSE Linux distros on all your servers then?

I mean, backbone of your business is built on Linux. Surely you have a promise of patches, support and SLA from the vendor, right?

• mikecmikec Member

@duckeeyuck said:

No, I'm not expecting it to be free, even if I made it, I'm spending at least 30+ hrs on something simple with basic features like maxmind (20$ starting), buying whmcs isn't an issue to be honest, I'm disapointed I actually have to ask for this after the work I've done :S, but

Do you need a billing system like WHMCS or fraud detection feature like Maxmind? If you want to detect and to prevent fraud, you can sign up the free FraudLabs Pro Micro plan, it supports WHMCS, Blesta, Clientexec etc.

• These are worth trying :

1. AccountLabPlus
    2. PHPCoin
    3. WHSuite
    Thanked by 1jh