Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Replace SSD - 850 Pro with 860 EVO M.2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Replace SSD - 850 Pro with 860 EVO M.2

mehargagsmehargags Member
edited March 2018 in General

I'd need a bit larger SSD for my Workstation currently running 4 years old Samsung 850 Pro. The EVO drives have been a great success and so I was thinking to replace with a 1TB 860 EVO M.2 that'll save me some bucks and provide more space.

The comparison here is kinda neck to neck on ssd.userbenchmark.com

My usage is pretty much everyday, Photoshop, Illustrator, Gaming, Cubase (sound editing) and usual coding/designing stuff...

The new 860 EVO would go into my **M.2* unlike the 850 Pro that is SATA 2.5".

I'm not much towards synthetic benchmarks or sucking the last bit of performance but rather practically real life performance. Does the EVO fit the bill?

What are your views? What do you suggest ?

Poll not found

Comments

• That question is nonsensical. Unless you run a seriously heavy - and disk-IO bound! - workload, say a high load(!) database server or professional heave video editing the difference is meaningless and no more than some wanking numbers.

I have both, an 850 and a 960 SSD (one SSD, one nvme) on my normal workstation and I can't feel any significant difference although theoretically the 960 is quite a bit faster. If I seriously wanted to find the difference I'd need a benchmark tool - which, however, does not correspond to my type of work load and would be but theory.

In fact, I almost certainly could use an ssd that is even slower than the 850 and would still feel no significant difference. Simple reason: For a normal workload even the 850 is faster than needed. After all a disk is just 1 part of a system.

Thanked by 1mehargags
    • I've an 830 Pro (512gb) in my ancient MacBook Pro (2009), and in my Hackintosh I use an 840 Pro (Windows) and 850 Evo (Mac OSX).

All have been solid as a rock. I doubt you'd notice any difference between the two except IIRC the pro has the longer warranty period (3 vs 5 years). Save the cash and enjoy snappy speeds.

(I'm hoping to get one of the 960 NVMe 1TB disks later this year)

Thanked by 2Junkless mehargags
    • @tarasis said:

(I'm hoping to get one of the 960 NVMe 1TB disks later this year)

Same here.

• Thanks... just the exact opinion I needed. I've noticed literally no real world difference using EVO on many customer's freind's laptops and desktops I installed it in. Was just curious if others feel the same.

I just forgot to add, the new EVO 860 would go into my M.2 unlike the 850 Pro that is SATA 2.5". (edited my opening post too)

• AidanAidan Member

mehargags said: Does the EVO fit the bill?

As long as you're not doing insane 4K video editing, you'll be fine with it.

It's a really nice drive with a decent write buffer size:

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
      edited March 2018

@Aidan said:

mehargags said: Does the EVO fit the bill?

As long as you're not doing insane 4K video editing, you'll be fine with it.

It's a really nice drive with a decent write buffer size:

And not to mention the 860 Pro and Evo have each higher write endurance than 850 Pro.

Thanked by 2Aidan mehargags