Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostname
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostname

Is hostname important? Should we change the ip 127.0.0.1 to vps ip in hostname? And why?

Comments

• Don't change the IP from 127.0.0.1, there's no need for that. The hostname on the server is meant to point to the system.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • You can easily get screwed up when setting up a mail server if fully qualified domain name are not configured properly. For normal website applications, hostname configurations are optional.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • @FlamesRunner said:
    Don't change the IP from 127.0.0.1, there's no need for that. The hostname on the server is meant to point to the system.

Oohh. Ok thanks..

@dedipromo said:
    You can easily get screwyed up when setting up a mail server if fully qualified domain name are not configured properly. For normal website applications, hostname configurations are optional.

Oh like that. So it not necessary if I just run like seedbox?

• mrlongshen said: it not necessary if I just run like seedbox?

Right.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • Hostname is also useful if you have many servers.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • Ok ..... Nvm there is no point I suppose.

Google is your friend.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    Hostname is also useful if you have many servers.

Oh to different it ?

• mrlongshen said: Oh to different it ?

Well just with computers in general, yes. It's just another way to tell which computer you're talking to.

Thanked by 2mksh mrlongshen
  • mkshmksh Member

@Ole_Juul said:

mrlongshen said: Oh to different it ?

Well just with computers in general, yes. It's just another way to tell which computer you're talking to.

Yeah, agreed. The risk to be extremly confused by having 10 boxes all named server is very real and probably the main reason making hostnames important.

Thanked by 2mrlongshen Ole_Juul
  • @Ole_Juul said:

@mksh said:

@Ole_Juul said:

Yeah, agreed. The risk to be extremly confused by having 10 boxes all named server is very real and probably the main reason making hostnames important.

Tq so much ! Should we change the 127.0.0.1 to vps ip ? Or just leave it ?
    If should leave, why ?

• mkshmksh Member

@mrlongshen said:
    Should we change the 127.0.0.1 to vps ip ? Or just leave it ?

I see no reason to change it if it works and at least for localhost you really should not mess with it. I guess having your hostname set to your external IP in your hosts file is fine. Not sure where it actually makes much of a difference but this works for me.

Thanked by 1mrlongshen
  • @mksh said:

@mrlongshen said:
    Should we change the 127.0.0.1 to vps ip ? Or just leave it ?

I see no reason to change it if it works and at least for localhost you really should not mess with it. I guess having your hostname set to your external IP in your hosts file is fine. Not sure where it actually makes much of a difference but this works for me.

Thanks for the explaination. +2 for you.

• In general, for security, if you do not carry out Internet data exchange, only need to use the internal network IP.

• Thanks all. Topic closed.

• serversupportzserversupportz Member, Host Rep

@mrlongshen said:
    Is hostname important? Should we change the ip 127.0.0.1 to vps ip in hostname? And why?

A host name is a combination of the name of your server and a domain name (e.g. example.example.com). The purpose of a host name is readability - it's much easier to remember than an IP address