Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think are unique features that a VPS provider should include?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• jimpopjimpop Member
    edited September 2013

1) IPv6

2) SSD only (not cached)

3) Auto-restart of off-line VPS.

• @jimpop said:
    3) Auto-restart of off-line VPS.

The only person that provides this is Dewlance, but I think he's no longer around. Autoboot TM is a trademark, so we "can't" use it.

• I'm fairly certain AutoBoot was only for Windows though

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

SSD is unique?

1. SSD
    2. Anycast DNS
  • Single click install of webserver and auto config of domains. That would be awesome. I have life 14 vps' and 9 dedi's and I'm constantly installing them all lol

• this is no brainer. pocketlamps of course

• @jcaleb said:
    this is no brainer. pocketlamps of course

Enlighten me on that reference?

• Fun and lovable staff members perhaps?

• @concerto49 said:
    The only person that provides this is Dewlance,

Linode has similar feature - a VM going down might be tried to start again.

• SSD is not a unique feature anymore. Its already available widely.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2013

Best features a vps provider can provide:
    1. Solusvm
    2. WHMCS
    3. No node monitoring
    4. Extremely long ticket queues, even if there's no other tickets

Tried and true right there. That's how you rake in the cash. Most people would rather complain than pay for better. Screw spacing, in protest I refuse to include line breaks.

• A unique feature only a few providers have is to really really look after their customers.

I know that some people don't deserve to being looked after at all, but with experience you learn to know them, and to get rid of those.

Most providers don't live to their own expectations. As long as everything runs nicely, everybody's happy. When things break and need attention, the good professionals stand out of the rest and the mediocre.

• @Master_Bo said:
    Linode has similar feature - a VM going down might be tried to start again.

But Dewlance has a trademark on it.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited September 2013

@concerto49 said:

Link us to the formal trademark documents, and the software patent.

• skype support

• @concerto49 said:

So what?
    It doesn't make the feature unique, either.

• @darknyan said:
    Link us to the formal trademark documents, and the software patent.

@Master_Bo said:
    It doesn't make the feature unique, either.

Relax relax. It was obviously a joke, as per anything that mentions autoboot.

Having said that, this feature is debateable. Is it really nice to have? Would you want your VPS to be rebooted for unknown reasons whenever?

• @concerto49 said:
    Having said that, this feature is debateable. Is it really nice to have? Would you want your VPS to be rebooted for unknown reasons whenever?

It depends. If it's straightforward attempt to start VPS that has stopped, then answer is no. Feature should be controllable and smart enough to avoid restarting "just because it's stopped".

• @Nick_A said:
    SSD is unique?

SSD, the technology, is not unique. Good implementations however....

I've seen SSD I/O speeds vary from ~500 MB/s to 1.8 GB/s (that's almost 4x). ;-)

• @jimpop single SSD is about 500 MB/s. To get more than that you need more SSDs striped. For 1.8GB/s you would need 8xSSDs in RAID10. Although i've heard of some providers doing RAID0, to save money, in this case only 4xSSDs in RAID0 would be enough. And of course it would be very dangerous for your data.

• IPv6 is unique?

• jimpopjimpop Member
    edited September 2013

@ska said:
    IPv6 is unique?

Quality IPv6 implementations are unique.

Also, there are people reading this who market IPv6, but it's really an HE tunnel. ;-)

Edit: Completely un-scientific, but only about %50 of LEB/LET offers even have IPv6. (Coming Soon!)

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@jimpop said:
    Quality IPv6 implementations are unique.

Ok, the "unique" must the US thing then. On the Continent IPv6 is de-facto standard, at least for VPSes. But even for your home-internet access. Since 2013 you won't get DSL without dual-stack light in [.de]. And afaik it's the same for Asia.

@jimpop said:
    Edit: Completely un-scientific, but only about %50 of LEB/LET offers even have IPv6. (Coming Soon!)

This is because many of them are using Colocrossing as the datacenter. Colocrossing is a US company. Apparently they wait to implement IPv6 when the world will switch to IPv7.

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited September 2013

@concerto49 said:

That's no really a feature and every provider can do that. You must only set in the libvirt config: "on_crash with restart"

http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsEvents

• dual-stack is client side. 95% of the IPv6 issues I see are on the network/routing side. The %5 is client IPv6 in the format of "2001:db8:xxxx:xxxx:aaa:bbb:ccc:ddd:xxxx" where aaa:bbb:ccc:ddd is the client's IPv4 address.

• skaska Member
    edited September 2013

@jimpop said:
    dual-stack is client side.

Not really. Dual-stack simply says that your system understands both protocols as well as your provider who obviously needs to provide you with both IPv6- and IPv4-addresses. However, I was speaking of dual-stack light. This means you get a routable IPv6 by your provider and have access to a NAT-IPv4 that you can use outbound, but not inbound. This is the standard-setup all the big providers do here in [.de] since 2013.

What you are describing is simply IPv4-address embedding. The address is a normal IPv6-address, however, the IPv4 is embedded to create a relationship between an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address to aid in the transition from IPv4 to IPv6. This has, however, nothing to do with dual-stack.

• @ska said:
    This is because many of them are using Colocrossing as the datacenter. Colocrossing is a US company. Apparently they wait to implement IPv6 when the world will switch to IPv7.

Funny. But seriously, I see this the world over. LET/LEB aren't limited to US offers.

• How about including external monitoring with email/twitter/global sms alerts? -wink-