Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CNET: Nginx tries converting Web-server popularity into money
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CNET: Nginx tries converting Web-server popularity into money

AsimAsim Member
edited February 2012 in General

Nginx, a Russian start-up that has succeeded where others have failed at challenging the dominant Apache software for housing Web sites, has begun trying to convert its popularity into actual money.

Nginx (pronounced "engine X") yesterday unveiled corporate support offerings for the product, a traditional business model for open-source software. It offers three grades--Essential, Advanced and Premium--with three- and twelve-month contracts for services including installation, configuration, performance tuning, and maintenance.

"Subscribers to the Advanced and Premium options receive design, implementation and optimization assistance, as well as prioritized development. Premium subscribers will have access to an additional set of customization options," the company said. In addition, it's begun offering consulting services, too.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-57373050-264/nginx-tries-converting-web-server-popularity-into-money/

Comments

• All I have to say is ouch... I really like nGinx, but if they start charging a substantial amount; I probably would not like it anymore.

• It's not that they are going to charge for the existing version. What I fear is that the free version will stall in development and if you want the new cool features you will have to pay for them.

• They are not going to charge for the software. They are charging large companies for setup and maintenance. There are a lot of other opensource projects that do the same thing.

Thanked by 3yomero mrm2005 Infinity
  • Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited February 2012

hm? the same thing like they did year ago?

2011-07-18 
    I have got news for you about nginx.

Recently it became very clear for me that because of increasing popularity of nginx and the volume of work required to develop the code and doing support, I really need to put it at another level.

So, I have decided to focus even more on nginx and established nginx as a company to fully dedicate myself to the project. I am not alone, there are a few nice people working for me on this. I am focusing on the development part, and to some extent on the company operations as well.

Our primary goals are improving support and communication for our users, streamlining the development process, revamping the documentation, integrating and speeding up pending bugfixes and patches, introducing long-requested functionality and more.

It should be noted that nginx will remain free, open-source software under 2-clause BSD license. There will be no shortage of new and long-awaited features too.

Thank you very much for your ongoing support through all these years. Without your awareness, feedback and support nginx would not become that successful. I am really looking forward to see more people who found nginx useful. I am also very glad we now have a proper way of doing a lot more for you.

Thanks!
    Igor Sysoev
    Thanked by 1mrm2005
  • Call me cynical, but part of me wonders if this is a ploy to make money on still not having proper English documentation. And no, the Russian to Engrish pidgin doesn't cut it. :p

• Glad I use Apache. :)

• @Soylent said: till not having proper English documentation

This isn't proper English documentation???!? http://wiki.nginx.org/Main

• Why does everyone expect something so great for free?

• You could turn that around and ask why people's standards for major coding projects are so low. The documentation does look a lot better now than it used to though. I remember trying out nginx about a year ago and there was next to nothing. It's the main reason I started using lighty and stuck with it.

• So no big difference to MySQL then.

• @soylent the software will still be available for free to all of us, they are just charging to deploy and customize it it seems.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited February 2012

This announcement is a bit old, but hopefully it goes well, the author deserves to make money on such great work.

Thanked by 2yomero NanoG6
  • The author of this software has done an excellent job and has really built the nginx brand in web hosting circles, this is a natural step and I wish him all the best!

• @corey Oh, I know, my point was just that the market for support and deployment wouldn't really be there if they had quality documentation. It seems like they've made big strides on that in the last year though. Or that is to say— their English speaking community has.

• @Soylent said: @corey Oh, I know, my point was just that the market for support and deployment wouldn't really be there if they had quality documentation. It seems like they've made big strides on that in the last year though. Or that is to say— their English speaking community has.

Interesting, but what about MySQL? There's a lot of documentation available on it, yet they sell MySQL+support.

• More power to them? MySQL is significantly more complicated than the average web server deployment. I'm sure someone might disagree, but I'm talking about generalities.

• Clearly, my point was not that we should abandon nginx but just to share the news that they have started monetizing it (which is good for its future) and there are paid-support options available for those who need it.

For people like me who actually use nginx, there is no change and we will still get free software