Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheapest way to get bulk Windows instances
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheapest way to get bulk Windows instances

emghemgh Member

So I have a project that require Windows instances, we're talking around 64 to 128 ones. It's nothing spammy, I can have them all running on one IP. It's just for technical reasons.

So either I buy a powerful computer and put it in my home, and I might get tired of this project in a week. Or I try and rent a dedicated server, install Windows and some sort of virtualisation program. How would you guys do it? I'd prefer renting.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I believe the buyvm slices include windows server licenses.

https://buyvm.net/kvm-dedicated-server-slices/

• Awmusic12635 said: I believe the buyvm slices include windows server licenses.

I was just about to recommend BuyVM but you beat me to it. :)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • emghemgh Member
    edited March 2018

@Awmusic12635 said:
    I believe the buyvm slices include windows server licenses.

@KnownHostChrisM said:

Awmusic12635 said: I believe the buyvm slices include windows server licenses.

I was just about to recommend BuyVM but you beat me to it. :)

I'm not looking for paying for them having a unique IP and such. I could get this done on a Dedicated for a much lower price.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

emgh said: I'm not looking for paying for them having a unique IP and such. I could get this done on a Dedicated for a much lower price.

What is your actual budget then? Their cheapest plan is $3.50 per month. That is not expensive.

• emghemgh Member
    edited March 2018

@Awmusic12635 said:

emgh said: I'm not looking for paying for them having a unique IP and such. I could get this done on a Dedicated for a much lower price.

What is your actual budget then? Their cheapest plan is $3.50 per month. That is not expensive.

I was looking for 64-128 instances. Without unique IP-addresses. A VPS isn't the way to go.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Buy a dedi and run 128 VPS instances?

• emghemgh Member

@deank said:

I was thinking of doing something like that, but dosen't most providers charge kind of much when there's a Windows server licence being needed? They won't take that much resources.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, you can run trial for 180 days? If your project is going to last more than that, it's perhaps better to invest.

Thanked by 2FHR emgh
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2018

IIRC having a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter license allows you to run an unlimited amount of Windows VMs on the host. Not very budget friendly though.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Nat VPS might be the way to go.

What's your budget?

You can get dedicated server with 64 GB ram for not too much but you would struggle to get 120 VMs running on that. Especially since windows is kindof ram hungry.

If you need 128 GB ram, then it would cost more because you're looking at dual Xeon e5 territory.

A budget would be helpful.

Also, how much disk and bandwidth?

• hzrhzr Member

I nat'd a hundred VMs for some legacy visual basic code, you're going to hit disk io issues before cpu most likely

Thanked by 2WSS mikho
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@hzr said:
    I nat'd a hundred VMs for some legacy visual basic code, you're going to hit disk io issues before cpu most likely

Not if the server uses ssds and the VMs don't use much io.

• WSSWSS Member

@randvegeta said:

@hzr said:

Not if the server uses ssds and the VMs don't use much io.

The perfect sprinkle (before the storm).

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

you can rent dedicated server from OVH for 1week / weekly basis and test your project that way you could save some money if its short period project.

• You are looking for datacenter versioned Windows licenses.

• @emgh said:

@deank said:

I was thinking of doing something like that, but dosen't most providers charge kind of much when there's a Windows server licence being needed? They won't take that much resources.

I would recommend you to get a dedicated server and install windows datacenter version OS first after install hyper-v to make VMs, in that case you don't need to buy windows server license separately for all the VMs.

• Make snapshots on vultr, use their api. easy.

• WSSWSS Member

@deank said:
    Well, you can run trial for 180 days? If your project is going to last more than that, it's perhaps better to invest.

This is the most obvious, and tenuously legal option available within a small budget.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • @WSS said:

@deank said:

This is the most obvious, and tenuously legal option available within a small budget.

You mean if he can get 64-128 VMs to run on 32 GB of ram without crashing and eating itself right?

Even with 64GB of ram jamming 128 Windows VMs on it is a recipe built for destruction. He is looking at a Dedi with 128GB of ram minimum in my book, but wtf do I know except Winblows still runs hacks I submitted 20 years ago to them as a tester.

But I don't know squat, just don't come here bitchin when it crashes please.

• intovpsintovps Member, Host Rep

@emgh what's your budget?