Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What file hosting services you are using? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What file hosting services you are using?

2»

Comments

• sarahsarah Member

Anyone using filerun? How is filerun working out?

• Dropbox for Archive & Backup Storage
    NextCloud on a VPS for personal files

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: Love it, too, from a technical perspective. But there's a very ugly fat but: 40$/TB/m min.

Speaking of excellent services with high price tags, I also use tarsnap

• @raindog308 said:

bsdguy said: Love it, too, from a technical perspective. But there's a very ugly fat but: 40$/TB/m min.

Speaking of excellent services with high price tags, I also use tarsnap

Looks nice except for two issues: a) unix, bsd, !cygwin!, etc, and b) me not liking that almost religious trust in amazons DCs. Sure, amazon knows a thing or two about DCs but still, that's involving and relying on a 3rd party stack and a fat one at that.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2018

@bsdguy said:
    !cygwin!

You mean that shitty abstraction layer that still can't pipe after 23 years? Yeah, I've heard of it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

bsdguy said: Looks nice except for two issues: a) unix, bsd, !cygwin!, etc, and b) me not liking that almost religious trust in amazons DCs. Sure, amazon knows a thing or two about DCs but still, that's involving and relying on a 3rd party stack and a fat one at that.

I don't understand your point (a).

The author is the former FreeBSD security officer (2005-2012), btw.

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited March 2018

@raindog308 said:

bsdguy said: Looks nice except for two issues: a) unix, bsd, !cygwin!, etc, and b) me not liking that almost religious trust in amazons DCs. Sure, amazon knows a thing or two about DCs but still, that's involving and relying on a 3rd party stack and a fat one at that.

"Tarsnap runs on UNIX-like operating systems (BSD, Linux, MacOS X, Cygwin, etc). " sounds seriously strange to me. But OK, granted that's just me and subjective.

But (b) is seriously questionable. The proposition "for 3 amazon DCs (of the good old kind!) to fail is virtually impossible" (my subsumption) isn't suggesting anything good to me; i.a. it boils down to tarsnap being but a gadget on top of the real core which is completely outside of tarsnaps control.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:

The author is the former FreeBSD security officer (2005-2012), btw.

Sure, but that's PJ (Post Jordan).