Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec Now Offering VPSes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec Now Offering VPSes

agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

I don't work for them. Just noticed this: http://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/solusvm-openvz/

Looks like they are getting into the VPS game...

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Seems like an interesting product for them.. dangerous, seeing as I assume they host a bunch of cloud/VPS providers in their datacenter.

Years ago The Planet learned the hard way what it meant to prominently competing with your customers when they launched a game hosting brand.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:
    Seems like an interesting product for them.. dangerous, seeing as I assume they host a bunch of cloud/VPS providers in their datacenter.

Years ago The Planet learned the hard way what it meant to prominently competing with your customers when they launched a game hosting brand.

at least in Italy EVERY datacenter / isp / telco launched or is about to launch cloud services. Marketing people like the word cloud, R&D people too: new budgets for "something" ;-)

• @prometeus just imagine the money laundering possibilities! :) Nobody knows what it is, but everyone knows that it's new and modern and cool and wants it. And CEOs are willing to pay for it :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said:
    prometeus just imagine the money laundering possibilities! :) Nobody knows what it is, but everyone knows that it's new and modern and cool and wants it. And CEOs are willing to pay for it :)

if it were only for CEO, it would be understandable... this month cd lan decided to invest some money in linkedin advertising targeting cto, it managers, etc. the first week results were depressing so the lady managing it called me to have some suggestion about the messages she published. She used words like colocation, housing, etc. I told her to replace everything with "cloud" in titles, it was like night and day. There were a lot of clicks and some request for contacts. :P

• I guess you guys haven't heard about how Dacentec is cracking down on DMCA/spam against VPS providers and was bought out by another company many months ago which may explain the idea of expanding into new services.

$20/mo, too rich for most low end blood around here but could be an option if they have a better network. Dacentec is OK (almost done with a 12month RTO) but the network is where you start to see you get what you pay for however I commend Dacentec for the ongoing network upgrades they seem to do which has not affected my downtime or connectivity

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@doughmanes said:
    I guess you guys haven't heard about how Dacentec is cracking down on DMCA/spam against VPS providers and was bought out by another company many months ago which may explain the idea of expanding into new services.

$20/mo, too rich for most low end blood around here but could be an option if they have a better network. Dacentec is OK (almost done with a 12month RTO) but the network is where you start to see you get what you pay for however I commend Dacentec for the ongoing network upgrades they seem to do which has not affected my downtime or connectivity

What has been your experience with the network?

• It's pretty reliable. Sometimes Nagios on my phone goes crazy for 8 - 16 hours then a notice goes out about network maintenance within the next few days but I've heard from some VPS providers (names protected) that their abuse policies seem heavy handed at times which has made some consider moving or running their own network with IP space to avoid the issue