Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Memcrashed - Major amplification attacks from UDP port 11211 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Memcrashed - Major amplification attacks from UDP port 11211

2»

Comments

• @Crandolph said:
    Remember when I called Hetzner trash? Yeah, it still is.

Still butt-hurt after all that time? :D Epic rekt.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • M66BM66B Veteran
    edited March 2018

@Marionette said:

@M66B said:

@Marionette said:
    And this is why you need to setup a firewall on every box because of shitty defaults from prepackaged software. SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SSH. Everything else should be closed by default.

I don't agree because it is just a workaround for lazy sysadmins who should really check what is listening on a server and why that is and take appropriate action if needed. In other words, sysadmins who know what they are doing. A firewall will not help because the same lazy 'sysadmin' might configure it wrong, not solving anything at all.

IMHO a firewall is only useful if you really need to open a port (for example MySQL and let's say Memcached, lol) and need (not want) to limit is to a few IP addresses / an IP range.

Another person who believes he never makes mistakes and assumes any mistake is caused by incompetence.

Oddly enough, in the real world, I never meet the people who never mistakes. Just on the internet.

You are arguing that people are not perfect. They are not and I am neither, but that is not the point. Not checking for open ports which can be used for DDOS is a preventable mistake and is therefore incompetence.

If you or your company want to add a firewall to cover up the mistakes of your sysadmins, that is fine and even justifiable, but it doesn't make the sysadmins competent.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@M66B said:

@Marionette said:

@M66B said:

@Marionette said:

If you or your company want to add a firewall to cover up the mistakes of your sysadmins, that is fine and even justifiable, but it doesn't make the sysadmins competent.

What the fuck. How is firewall a "cover up"? It's a first line of defense against any kind of attack. What if your server gets infected by malware? Without a firewall, it could listen on any port it wanted and become a botnet controller, without anyone noticing.

• edited March 2018

@eva2000 said:

@Aidan said:
    I thought it was standard practice to only allow specific IPs access to memcached, either localhost or specific machines in your array - turns out I was wrong.

standard practice would be to have a firewall in place in the first place !

Github was on receiving end at 1.35Tbps sized DDOS attack https://githubengineering.com/ddos-incident-report/

I think it should probably be done on the application itself. You can also do it on the firewall but that's probably not necessary if you do it on the application.

• AidanAidan Member

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@eva2000 said:

@Aidan said:
    I thought it was standard practice to only allow specific IPs access to memcached, either localhost or specific machines in your array - turns out I was wrong.

Github was on receiving end at 1.35Tbps sized DDOS attack https://githubengineering.com/ddos-incident-report/

Why do it on the firewall when it should be done on the application itself? Or both.

I believe he meant that no matter how incompetent someone is, they'll at least have a firewall set up - doing it on both memcached & your firewall is obviously the best and would (should?) be the norm.

• edited March 2018

@Aidan said:

@LosPollosHermanos said:

@eva2000 said:

@Aidan said:

Why do it on the firewall when it should be done on the application itself? Or both.

I believe he meant that no matter how incompetent someone is, they'll at least have a firewall set up - doing it on both memcached & your firewall is obviously the best and would (should?) be the norm.

It looks like securing it at the application layer is pretty simple in this case.
    https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-secure-memcached-by-reducing-exposure

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited March 2018

@FHR said:

@M66B said:

@Marionette said:

@M66B said:

@Marionette said:

What the fuck. How is firewall a "cover up"? It's a first line of defense against any kind of attack. What if your server gets infected by malware? Without a firewall, it could listen on any port it wanted and become a botnet controller, without anyone noticing.

Where did I say here you shouldn't use a firewall? I even said it would be justifiable. The point was and still is that a sysadmin should do more than blindly install software and check stuff. How hard is it to use netstat and to use common sense? What if the installation procedure includes punching a hole in the firewall because the package manager though that was a good idea?

• M66BM66B Veteran
    edited March 2018

deleted

• DDOS attack size record has been broken with Memcrashed at 1.7Tbps DDOS Attack https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/03/05/worlds_biggest_ddos_attack_record_broken_after_just_five_days/

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • on article he didnt mention who's the target

• edited March 2018

LeaseWeb just sent out a notice that they are blocking all UDP 11211 traffic. Hopefully others do the same.