Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any better deals for a 2 core which definitely support archlinux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any better deals for a 2 core which definitely support archlinux?

lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
edited February 2018 in Requests

Preamble you don't have to read but it is a fun jaunt for all the family.

#

I have been having alot more trouble lately of setting up arch via existing linux. Even on a vmware one the supplier promised they would be able to do it and even show an archlinux logo as image on their sales page but when I tried the api for uploading the image wouldnt give me access and they then said 'we have never tried before why don't you just use a stock linux instead. Thinking I may have been overreacting about my insistence on arch I thought hey maybe I can manage and installed centos. What ensued was exactly what I hate about using other crusty slow release distros- I was rooting around for days on end for obscure repos to install packages and having to get specific versions and building from sources. Total rigmarole. Arch's beautiful pacman have everything for me ready to go out the gate!

I had trouble installing from existing linux on that one as well and since I only wanted it for a month I realised I was wasting valuable time which is why I went with a stock distro but I don't want to make the same mistake again! If I had more time though I would probably work out how to install from existing but the pressure was stressing me since it was an expensive server which I only wanted for one month so each day was costing me valuable time.

Anyway suffice to say I am definitely going to be going with arch one way or another on future servers. Even a few days setup is worth it if I will be keeping it vs constant headaches for centos and company with the archaic repos.

#

So I got a hetzner 2.49 one at the moment and I must say what a dream that was to setup with arch. All good. But I was disappointed that it can't handle even 2 headless browser instances of firefox. It craps out giving all manner of errors. I am not sure why because I had a 1 core 1 gig before (and hetz one has 2 gig) which could handle 3 instances without trouble. I can only use this for my requests only script which is fine but I would like a 2 core to handle this other work.

Hetzner offering 4.90 for 2 core which is very reasonable as well but the 4 gig and 40 HD is both more than I'd need. I wondered if there are better deals for only 2 gig and 20 HD? preferably who will support arch. I might be open to tinkering to install myself since I wouldn't be on such a time constraint if the deal was worth it. But gotta be kvm or the like not fucking with openvz any more trying to bootstrap with that nightmare. So just seeing if I can squeeze a better bargain for my requirements or is hetz the one to stick with?

Comments

• lowendguy7 said: Preamble you don't have to read but it is a fun jaunt for all the family.

How about saving all the rant and just start using vps2arch? It works most of the time. If you just like pacman and latest packages, you can also grab a rootfs and use systemd-nspawn.

By the way, Arch Linux has stopped working with OpenVZ kernels after its recent glibc upgrade.

• A rolling release on a server? What could go wrong?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

If you are able to install arch from an mounted iso you can go with our (www.first-root.com) kvm edition.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

I don't have official support for Arch, but you have console access to all of our KVM VPS' and I can upload an Arch ISO if you wanted to install yourself.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@lowendguy7 said: Hetzner offering 4.90 for 2 core which is very reasonable as well but the 4 gig and 40 HD is both more than I'd need.

But this would have been the safer bet if you want to run two or three headless instances of firefox plus your script.

lowendguy7 said: I am not sure why because I had a 1 core 1 gig before (and hetz one has 2 gig) which could handle 3 instances without trouble.

So why did you ever abandon that VPS?

• I got my VPS at ultravps.eu and they got Arch Linux as boot image iso available. Unfortunately I never used Arch Linux, so I cannot tell you about possible performance problems. Currently they got 3 plan, but I find these two might fit your specs:

Cloud Special-2: 2 CPU, 2GB RAM, 50GB SSD for 40.00 EUR/year
    UltraSSD-30: 2 CPU, 2GB RAM, 30GB SSD for 4.50 EUR/month

(third would be UltraKVM-50)

They got a refund time, so you can test your installation without risk.

If you like I can give you a Ref Link, where you get a small discount on your first order.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS