Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did anyone else get an email from [email protected]?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Did anyone else get an email from [email protected]?

Contents of the email:

Were excitied to tell you about UplinkVPS and some new promtions we have on offer
Think that your current provider is doing the best for you? Think again.

Here at UplinkVPS we are wanting to turn the VPS hosting word upside down.

We are going to start by providing you a offer that is truly unbeatable and as far as we know never been done before!

Not only are we going to offer you 50% off what your currently paying your provider for your vps, but we will also give you 50% more memory and CPU, for live, no trick and no gimmicks!

I am wondering why I got this email. I'm almost certain it's unsolicited spam. Has anyone else on here gotten this email? I want to know about the legitimacy of this company, and also, how did they get my email address? Maybe we can compare which providers we recently signed up with to narrow down where the email address was compramised? Because for me, I only use this email to sign up to VPSes, and nothing else. And I don't post the email address, so I'm certain one of the companies I signed up for gave my email address away.

Comments

• Some of the providers solusvm database leaked including your mails..

• So all our mails are belong to them now? That sucks :-|

• I don;t appear to of gotten anything.

• I am wondering why I got this email. I'm almost certain it's unsolicited spam.

Probably, it's the Internet. Click 'Spam' in your respective mail client, webmail interface etc . . . and call it a day.

• RobJudRobJud Member
    edited September 2013

@Microlinux said:
    Probably, it's the Internet. Click 'Spam' in your respective mail client, webmail interface etc . . . and call it a day.

Did you read the rest of my post? I am very careful as to which email address I use for which service. I have only used that email address on a handful of services, so it won't be too hard for me to narrow down the leak(er). I just need to cross reference with maybe 1-2 other ppl.

Also if you read through to the rest of the post, I also was inquiring about the legitimacy of the company. You answered a question I didn't even ask.

• [providername]@domain.com is the way to go

• @serverian said:
    [providername]@domain.com is the way to go

Which many providers here don't like (they want a "real address") can generate problems with Maxmind if your payment- and signup-(email)address differs.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited September 2013

As we are a pronounced web hosting company....

WTF is a pronounced web hosting company? (from their about us page)

We have the right web hosing plan for you

+1. I've been looking for a hosing plan. :P

edit:

I want to know about the legitimacy of this company,

The registrant of UplinkVPS is Hung Tran in Union City, CA. Same WHOIS as DediDirect. You can contact Vee on either Skype or Aim (username DediDirect) and ask him where he got your email address from.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited September 2013

@RobJud said:

Easy, big shooter. I was responding only to this:

I am wondering why I got this email. I'm almost certain it's unsolicited spam.

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited September 2013

(deleted)

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

@albertdb said:

>

edited cause it was a mistake xd

• @Saiku said:

Definitively, it's not. Please, remove the quote, I made a mistake.

• @Microlinux said:

>

Right. Well, it's true, most likely spam. But I still want to try to get to the bottom of it.

And lol, @DomainBop. I didn't even read the company's about page with that level of scrutiny. Hosing accounts, lol. Hilarious.

• I got one, PM me if your still trying to work out the source, may be able to help... I don't have 10030375234758342 VPS so it should be easy to narrow down.

• Well..i think maybe e-mail address information from @azzavps .I have 3 users in azzavps,and 3 mail address i saw the same mail.

• SaikuSaiku Member, Host Rep

@junjiang said:
    Well..i think maybe e-mail address information from azzavps .I have 3 users in azzavps,and 3 mail address i saw the same mail.

I have a VPS from azzavps and never gotten one from uplinkvps.
    So that's incorrect, once again.

• I did just recently sign up with azza, so yea, it does seem like a common factor @wych, what about you?

• AzzaVPS, UplinkVPS, aren't they same company?

• @MorningIris said:
    AzzaVPS, UplinkVPS, aren't they same company?

Not that I'm aware of. Where did you find this out?

• MorningIrisMorningIris Member
    edited September 2013

I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but one "tran" guy owns both.

edit: https://freevps.us/thread-11440-post-133053.html#pid133053

• Ahh, interesting. Thanks for the info. I guess that settles it. :-)

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited September 2013

@MorningIris said:
    AzzaVPS, UplinkVPS, aren't they same company?

Check the WHOIS. Azza is owned by someone named Aaron Martin from New Zealand. The WHOIS for Uplink shows it is owned by Vee (Hung Tran) who also owns DediDirect. Uplink's test IP and website IP are also assigned to DediDirect http://whois.domaintools.com/199.116.113.14 http://whois.domaintools.com/216.231.140.5)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

That clears it. I got the email too and have an account with AzzaVPS.

Nice try, @azzavps.

• @Ishaq guess we were right!

• @wych

Mhm.

• @Nyr said:
    That clears it. I got the email too and have an account with AzzaVPS.

Nice try, azzavps.

Let me guess, you were ChicagoVPS customer too?

• @Frost said:

I was never a ChicagoVPS customer. So it couldn't have been them.

• I cant seem to find uplinkvps.com in google search. And now their website doesnt load. What am i doing wrong D:

• @DamienSB said:
    I cant seem to find uplinkvps.com in google search. And now their website doesnt load. What am i doing wrong D:

There uplink mustn't be that good then ;)

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Frost said:

No, I am not.