Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting 1TB storage and premium with 4TB wanT to start my own host at home - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting 1TB storage and premium with 4TB wanT to start my own host at home

Comments

• @rafaykhan said:
    Guys thank you so much for your feedback your help i really appreciate that now on no more further discussion on this topic Thank you so much <3

#GTFO

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Is your lastname Treudler ?

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • Since when could you get 40gbps to your home? (especially in 'Asia')

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    Is your lastname Treudler ?

No, i know Treudler just go offline this month

@randvegeta said:

@freerangecloud said:
    If you have $20K to invest then rent some colo space in a datacenter. Hosting stuff out of your house is a TERRIBLE idea. What happens if your power goes out? What happens if your Internet is out for an extended period of time? I doubt you will be a priority for your ISP to fix. What about physical security of the servers (i.e. someone breaking in)? Your basement will never be a suitable environment for commercial hosting.

I dunno. Depends on pricing and scale.

When I had my basement full of servers, it doubled as my office which actually made things easier WHILE I was home working.

And I didn't cheap out on hardware or connectivity. Definitely spent more than 20k in hardware and a couple of fiber lines with BGP doesn't come cheap either.

The biggest problem running servers in a home is that you need to give access to your home to someone while you're not around. I spend a lot of time in HK as well so it was certainly an issue for me.

In late 2015 the LT company was officially formed, DC built and equipment moved. Ongoing it's actually much cheaper than doing things at home and of course made things 100x easier for staff.

It's possible to build a propper DC at home in a basement but by the time you've got it done to any reasonable size, it's not a DC in your home... It's your home in a DC. Which is not ideal.

yes i understand, i am not going to do it because of DDOS protection when i can't make sure i can provide a great protection against DDoS i really can't do it which is really common and i don't have any issue with bandwidth i was buying the business pkg which inc 1gbit with 1000TB in 1500$

• @doghouch said:
    Since when could you get 40gbps to your home? (especially in 'Asia')

you don't have to worry about these things :)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2018

Invest only $1k and enjoy your life with rest of money.

If you are serious then make good plan with less resource which can be acceptable. No one will easily trust you If your company is new and you try to sell 1TB shared hosting at $10/mo.

Running your company for long term required good planning and If you want your life free of tension then lease or colocate server in datacenter instead of your house.

Hope my suggestion can help you.

• May i ask which part of asia?
    I am intersted in Japan.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@doghouch said:

Might be possible in South Korea but then only within South Korea.

• @deank said:

@doghouch said:

Might be possible in South Korea but then only within South Korea.

He mentioned that he wanted to host it in his home (which I assume is in Karachi, Pakistan after what he told us earlier).

edited February 2018

Well, he's got 20k to waste. Head over to South Korea, rent an apartment, off he can go.

Whether he can communicate in Korean is a different matter but that's why we have sign language.

• @deank said:
    Well, he's got 20k to waste. Head over to South Korea, rent an apartment, off he can go.

Whether he can communicate in Korean is a different matter but that's why we have sign language.

• rafaykhanrafaykhan Member
    edited February 2018

@doghouch said:

@deank said:

don't be a rude guy :) thanks.

We are all rude here. Where do you think you are? LowEndTalk, it'a a dirty and holy place. Bottom barrel crawlers don't play nice.

• is it just my country or other countries also have dumb people ?

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • @deank said:
    We are all rude here. Where do you think you are? LowEndTalk, it'a a dirty and holy place. Bottom barrel crawlers don't play nice.

now i understand you both are the same guys :) Thank you <3 i don't want to waste my imp time to argue with peoples like you.. Have fun.

• @deank said:

Not necessarily. I still have a Namecheap VPS which costs me as much as a few Kimsufis.

I’ll probably get rid of it by the end of 2018, but it’s been chugging for a few years with no issues at all. I haven’t felt any noise from my neighbours (because to be fair, there aren’t many) and their SLA is generous :)

• mkshmksh Member
    edited February 2018

@hammad said:
    is it just my country or other countries also have dumb people ?

Don't get your hopes up. There is no escaping.

@doghouch said:
    Not necessarily. I still have a Namecheap VPS which costs me as much as a few Kimsufis.

I’ll probably get rid of it by the end of 2018, but it’s been chugging for a few years with no issues at all. I haven’t felt any noise from my neighbours (because to be fair, there aren’t many) and their SLA is generous :)

VPSLIVESMATTER.

Let it go, Dog. Let it pass away.

• um...Pakistan Feels unreliable. NoT discrimination your country, I have not heard of similar idc.

• @elliotc said:
    um...Pakistan Feels unreliable. NoT discrimination your country, I have not heard of similar idc.

India has good connectivity; which I assume is where Pakistan’s traffic goes through. I’m not sure whether their connectivity is the same as Indian connectivity, but I can spin up a droplet on DO to test some routes.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Are you really thinking to invest $20k in such a setup or just trolling with us?

@AnthonySmith, is there a secret TROLL OF THE MONTH contest running which none of us are aware of?

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@BlaZe said:
    Are you really thinking to invest $20k in such a setup or just trolling with us?

@AnthonySmith, is there a secret TROLL OF THE MONTH contest running which none of us are aware of?

New kindof trolling. Most troll come along asking for ridiculous low pricing and claims he can get it cheaper somewhere else and does so in an extremely obnoxious way. Designed to piss us all off

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • @randvegeta said:

@BlaZe said:

New kindof trolling. Most troll come along asking for ridiculous low pricing and claims he can get it cheaper somewhere else and does so in an extremely obnoxious way. Designed to piss us all off

That’s not exactly ‘new’....

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • you just cant believe how bad Pakistan routing is .

Pretty much every Destination in Middle east / Asia / China Goes indirect route from Italy .
    so to EU we get approx 180-200 ms , but for all neighboring countries we get 400-500 ms.

@doghouch said:

@elliotc said:
    um...Pakistan Feels unreliable. NoT discrimination your country, I have not heard of similar idc.

India has good connectivity; which I assume is where Pakistan’s traffic goes through. I’m not sure whether their connectivity is the same as Indian connectivity, but I can spin up a droplet on DO to test some routes.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • MOM! WHY DID YOU TURNED ON THE OWEN¿!

didn't I tell you that I was migrating let forum into my bedroom?!

Newsletter: electric company could not keep up with our growth and the DC was without energy for a while.

There is also a chance that OP has 20k in monopoly dollar.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

I’m interested in the “kitchen” shared hosting plan. Please let me know when it becomes available.

Regards, Armand

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

haha

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@armandorg said:
    I’m interested in the “kitchen” shared hosting plan. Please let me know when it becomes available.

Regards, Armand

Our new office in Lithuania will have a kitchen. I can lease servers to you hosted in the kitchen! No UPS and there is a higher risk of water spilling from all the tea that gets made there. :D

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • I got tuns of dreams also bro. I am not sure if I will have time for all of them. But none of those dreams include hosting. Why? Because it's freaking expensive to do it properly.
    Also requires skill and knowledge by the leader of the operation about the industry and the tech as a whole.
    But the market has too much compatition. Especially in the low end. In the low end this is close to a perfectly competative market as one could possibly get in my opinion. We are at a point where new companies are made frequently, and lost frequently also. Everyone is operating at rthin margins. Some new companies can survive like VMhaus but those are rare.
    For every new one that is surviving, I heard many have closed doors.
    Even the middle tear of hosting has alot of competition (OVH, Linode, Digital Ocean, Vultr, maybe Hetzner and net Cup) and they all have alot more than 20k in their banks and OVH relies on alot of help from government people around here say so if that is the case then it isn't doing well.
    You could argue that their is less companies at the top tear (Google, AWS, and Microsoft Azure) but those companies are super rich and have more resources than you ever will.