Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

opening VPS and dedicated server host at home - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

opening VPS and dedicated server host at home

2»

Comments

• rafaykhanrafaykhan Member
    edited February 2018

@TheLinuxBug said:

rafaykhan said: Country : Pakistan

City : Karachi

Btw Thanks ofcourse i will setup UPS and Generator Backup and Data but i don't know if my whole server fail like motherboard or because of RAM so it can go offline for a while if you know what i mean and i am not a single person doing it all alone i have my brothers they will work with me so we will provide 24/7 live chat support and as i said when i start earning some profit i will invest it on host so i will be able to provide 200mbps (FAIR USAGE) unmetered bandwidth which is amazing in whole Asia!

Ohh my, and I was thinking this was a bad idea before I read this!

I know I already responded to your other thread, but I know a few people in Pakistan and have gotten to understand what the connectivity there is like from a few of them and I can tell you this is even worse of an idea than you think! All of Pakistan's bandwidth is basically handled over 2 different sea cables, one to Italy and another to Singapore. It is not uncommon for one or the other to fail or become over-utilized and pings to sky rocket to the 200-300ms range to most locations outside of direct peering points. This is ESPECIALLY true if the connection is a consumer grade connection -- the ISPs there will NOT put up with DDOS and probably will null route you at the hint of abuse to save their network. If you are going to do this, you should really be looking to co-locate equipment directly with the government ISP and get a contract with them that explains exactly what you can expect. Hosting this in your house, you may very quickly find your services terminated because they don't want to handle the amount of abuse/traffic you are using compared to a standard consumer and/or the complaints from your neighbors when their connectivity goes to crap because of your excessive use.

If your target was only local consumers in Pakistan, then sure you may be able to do this, but trying to run a global provider and providing outside connectivity from Pakistan where all the traffic has to go over sea cables, is a horrible idea. Why do you think most large Pakistan sites are generally hosted in Italy instead of in country? Its because the direct connectivity in Pakistan is poor for handling high throughput load with low latency -- Thus since Italy is a main peering point of all traffic in Pakistan as well as a major European networks, most large companies will place their sites/infrastructure there instead.

I hate to be that guy who craps all over your dreams, but I think you have a lot more research and thinking to do on this before you start to spend your money!

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

i hate to say but you are wrong about 2 sea cables
    there are 5 and other new 1 is under construction..

BTW Guys thank you so much for your feedback your help i really appreciate that now on no more further discussion on this topic Thank you so much <3

• You'd be better off reselling dedis from seflow/ prometeus in Italy.

• /deadpool

• https://lowendbox.com/blog/rootnerds-e1-99month-or-2-61month-1gb-openvz-vps-in-frankfurt-germany/

It's an old offer but is still alive. Take into account that since 12 months ago an Indian company takes over the control of Rootnerds

• williewillie Member

I don't see the relevance of the rootnerds necro to the original topic. Is there any reason to leave this thread open?

• mkshmksh Member

@willie said:
    I don't see the relevance of the rootnerds necro to the original topic. Is there any reason to leave this thread open?

There sure is. It is so everyone gets a shot at dumping spam in it to be exact.

This discussion has been closed.