Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for cheap dedicated server $1-$50 USD / month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for cheap dedicated server $1-$50 USD / month

Hi there!

I am running a whitelisted Minecraft server modified with MCPC+ and Forge, and I have simply outgrown the processing power that my managed VPS was able to provide for the previous 9 months. I am now looking for a dedicated server in the price range of $1-$50 USD / month.

I am placing the most priority on a high CPU performance to price ratio. In terms of RAM I would like 4GB at the bare minimum, ideally 8GB or more, and any basic hard drive with 250GB or more will do. In terms of network, I don't move a great deal of data, I am unlikely to exceed 2TB each month. Latency is quite important however, considering it is a gaming server after all! My player-base is geographically diffuse, but low pings to the US and/or Europe would be welcome.

I have done some digging around and have pulled up some good offers from Quickpacket, DataShack, and VolumeDrive. I am very new to the hosting market so I'm really here to pick your brains on any experience you have with these companies, and if you can recommend some that I haven't looked at yet.

The best value for money I can find so far is the Dual Intel Xeon L5420 plan from Quickpacket, although this is right on the edge of my budget.

If URLs are allowed I will link to my Google docs spreadsheet with detailed information on the plans that I have found advertised.

Thanks for your time!

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2013

Ahhh what a bummer, wanted to offer you an $0.50/month dedi, but then saw your strict pricing limits.

• @rm_ said:
    Ahhh what a bummer, wanted to offer you an $0.50/month dedi, but then saw your strict pricing limits.

Hahahaahahaha

• @rm_ said:

Sorry, but I just cannot budge on that one. A shame really!

• ngstargatengstargate Member
    edited September 2013

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

If you are outside the EU, prices are lower by 19%.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@rm_ said:

Can some one want to supply me with cheaper than $0.50/month dedi, ideal budget is $0.10/month with at least 1Gbps speed on unlimited and super premium network and minimum 10 x 3TB HDD, at least 64GB RAM. I know that some companies want to sell quick, I will take 20 servers @ $0.10/month.
    Anyone?

• @WebProject i can, at $20k setup for each server. And i will boot you after the 7th month :)

@rds100 said:
    WebProject i can, at $20k setup for each server. And i will boot you after the 7th month :)

forgot to mentioned without any setup fee.

one more budget provider:
    www.dacentec.com

Thanked by 1derdigge
  • Remeber the L5420 doesn't really help alot, minecraft servers in general only really utilize one core, honestly if you don't need alot of processing said aside from single core speed I would point at OVH, if they were accepting orders.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited September 2013

HP Proliant 2XL5420 16GB 2X1TB or
    IBM x3450 E5462 2.8Ghz 16GB 2x1TB

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/

Both $50 at Dacentec, which are on the East coast, so should be good for Europe. Make sure to test the latency, before looking into them though.

Woops, forgot it said that you're running Minecraft. Not sure how big your server is, but anything over 8 players with MCPC+ on a L5420 and the tick rate drops to far below 20. It is an unoptimized PoS, especially with any decent amount of mods, so you will need at least an E3 for this.

• @PcJamesy said:
    Remeber the L5420 doesn't really help alot, minecraft servers in general only really utilize one core, honestly if you don't need alot of processing said aside from single core speed I would point at OVH, if they were accepting orders.

I am running Nallar's tick threading mod which allows Minecraft to execute the server tick in multiple threads. Also running a Bukkit server allows the loading of chunks from disk to be multi-threaded, a benefit which extends to MCPC+ servers. In light of that I think it may still be worth going for the Dual CPU L5420.

I just checked OVH US site and it seems they have re-opened orders on the KimSufis, however I have no idea what the lead time on those might be. I'll keep an eye on the OVH forum.

• nz_dnb_ftwnz_dnb_ftw Member
    edited September 2013

@NateN34 said:
    HP Proliant 2XL5420 16GB 2X1TB or IBM x3450 E5462 2.8Ghz 16GB 2x1TB

https://billing.dacentec.com/hostbill/index.php?/cart/

Both $50 at Dacentec, which are on the East coast, so should be good for Europe. Make sure to test the latency, before looking into them though.

Woops, forgot it said that you're running Minecraft. Not sure how big your server is, but anything over 8 players with MCPC+ on a L5420 is too laggy. It is an unoptimized PoS and you will need at least an E3 for this.

My current VPS can handle 16 players before dropping below 20 tps, and that's with more tile entities per chunk than you can shake a stick at. I admit I did reduce the view distance to 8. But yeah totally agree with vanilla Minecraft being an unoptimized PoS.

Also did you just thank yourself for your own post? Hahaha

• Just ordered a Kimsufi KS 2 from OVH US, despite my skepticism it was delivered within 30 minutes. Just a heads up that they certainly do have stock now.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@rm_ said:

This caused a full blown LOL followed by a "What you laughing at" followed by another LOL :)

• @nz_dnb_ftw said:
    Just ordered a Kimsufi KS 2 from OVH US, despite my skepticism it was delivered within 30 minutes. Just a heads up that they certainly do have stock now.

Did u buy it for $39.

• @nz_dnb_ftw said:
    Just ordered a Kimsufi KS 2 from OVH US, despite my skepticism it was delivered within 30 minutes. Just a heads up that they certainly do have stock now.

How about Webtropia? http://webtropia.com

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

@nz_dnb_ftw said:

I've been running my Minecraft server off of the KS2 for over a month now, I have no complaints at all.