Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

open source forum software with good documentation?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

open source forum software with good documentation?

chihcherngchihcherng Veteran
edited February 2018 in Help

I'm thinking about starting a forum to build the reputation for my own domain, but I know my knowledge regarding operating a forum a bit lacking. Is there an open source forum software with good documentation?

Comments

• There is no such thing as a FREE open source forum. Cheapest one I can recommend costs $50,000 a year.

• @chihcherng said:
    Is there an open source forum software with good documentation?

For open source, there is one available. https://www.phpbb.com/support/

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Discourse, Vanilla, Flarum, to name a few.

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • MyBB, SMF

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

NodeBB is my personal favorite. Good docs section here.

Thanked by 2Unixfy chihcherng
  • happybeehappybee Member, Host Rep

I like phpBB. It's open source. If you are willing to purchase a Xenforo license, you can go with that. The Xenforo demo is available here.

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • huntercop said: There is no such thing as a FREE open source forum. Cheapest one I can recommend costs $50,000 a year.

What makes you say that? There are many good 100% open source projects which are free as well.

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited February 2018

@jetchirag said:

huntercop said: There is no such thing as a FREE open source forum. Cheapest one I can recommend costs $50,000 a year.

What makes you say that? There are many good 100% open source projects which are free as well.

• @chihcherng said:
    I'm thinking about starting a forum to build the reputation for my own domain, but I know my knowledge regarding operating a forum a bit lacking. Is there an open source forum software with good documentation?

There are plenty. If you want good advice you should at least tell us which of the languages (php, ruby, ...) you know best and how good your admin knowledge/experience is, unless you just want an unordered list of software that you might get as well at wikipedia...

Thanked by 1chihcherng
  • @pike said:

@jetchirag said:

huntercop said: There is no such thing as a FREE open source forum. Cheapest one I can recommend costs $50,000 a year.

There's no "sarcasm" in that comment! Not every sentence can be called sarcasm

• bsdguy said: If you want good advice you should at least tell us which of the languages (php, ruby, ...) you know best and how good your admin knowledge/experience is

I asked about open source forum software, because their documentation, contrary to commercial ones', should be freely available. I‘m not a programmer, and I'm not trying to modify the software. I know how to manage a Linux system generally, but have never managed/moderated a forum before. I want to familiarize myself with issues like forum moderation by reading documentation first.

• @chihcherng said:

bsdguy said: If you want good advice you should at least tell us which of the languages (php, ruby, ...) you know best and how good your admin knowledge/experience is

I asked about open source forum software, because their documentation, contrary to commercial ones', should be freely available. I‘m not a programmer, and I'm not trying to modify the software. I know how to manage a Linux system generally, but have never managed/moderated a forum before. I want to familiarize myself with issues like forum moderation by reading documentation first.

bsdguy's still right though -- you should at least say what your preferred stack is (LAMP, etc). Owing to the age of forums as a concept online, there's literally dozens of FOSS packages out there. You won't find how to "operate a forum" in software documentation any more than you'd find "how to run a successful business" in the documentation for Point of Sale software.

Anyway, the big divide last I checked is between what you might call "old school" players that want a traditional SomethingAwful-style forum - where there's groups of categories, categories ("forums"), forums have threads, and threads have posts - and newer forums that focus on a more modern layout/style and play down that structure a bit. For the former, phpBB and SMF are the two stalwarts. For the newer ones, try something like Discourse, NodeBB and Flarum. Do note that all of the ones I'm naming have already been named for you by helpful people.

Btw, not sure what you mean by "freely available" documentation - both UBB.Threads and Invision Power Board, two of the bigger pieces of non-free forum software have their documentation publically available and posted. Very few companies wall off their documentation.

• MarionetteMarionette Member
    edited February 2018

"New Style Forums": Flarum, Discourse

Traditional Forums: Xenforo, Elkarte/SMF

The rest are crap imo.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited February 2018

FluxBB/PunBB are great.

Slightly OT: The older vBulletin and IPB versions were one of my favourites (example: vBulletin.org). Not sure what they are doing with vBulletin connect, but it seems like a mess.

A good nostalgic trip would be idforums.net. The same forum software that d2jsp.org used to use.