Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SerweryDedykowane.pl reinstallls servers without letting you know they are going to
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SerweryDedykowane.pl reinstallls servers without letting you know they are going to

I was one of the lucky people to get one of those very cheap i7 32gb ram SSD servers from SerweryDedykowane.pl to which i provisioned it with windows as it appeared windows was free so of course i was gonna take windows for no extra cost!

Anyway fast forward to a few days ago i ran a windows update and the server didnt come back up, no issue ill just go into the CP and restart it. Well none of the start,stop or restart buttons worked next i needed to tell the support/techs. Big issue as they dont have a customer portal support ticket system, i had to go to the front page and fill out a contact form telling my issue and i put in my service id # and server ip to verify i actually did own the server. A day later i get this email response:

Indicated problem has been solved.

Your server was resinstalled.

New password to "administrator" account:

Well yeah wiping the server and reinstalling it is one way to bring it back online

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Sue them. It's the only sensible way.

• You get what you pay for I suppose LOL.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • @6ixth said:
    You get what you pay for I suppose LOL.

30€ Colo

• 6ixth6ixth Member
    edited February 2018

@lion said:

@6ixth said:
    You get what you pay for I suppose LOL.

30€ Colo

Says the one sat here buying the exact same colo.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/131003/collecting-co-locations-in-europe#latest

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • This is why I only own servers with KVM over IP. Unless the whole network is down, I will have access to my server and can solve my own problems.

Needless to say I haven’t had any problems in months (even though Psychz has nasty neighbours, they are doing a good job).

• It's windows. What do you expect.

Thanked by 2rm_ lazyt
  • LeeLee Veteran

Seriously though, completely excessive to resolve an issue with a complete reinstall. That really is nonsense.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • That sucks. No biggie though, just reinstall your applications and restore your data from backups.

You do have backups, right?

• LeeLee Veteran

wwabbit said: You do have backups, right?

Trying to absolve the actions of a provider taking unreasonable and quite frankly reckless action cannot be passed off to "no biggie" and "you have backups?".

• Did your disk die, forcing them to replace it? If that, it was nice of them to already install an OS for you.

I'm seeing very little info about the actual issue they found.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • i am missing the admin password! what is it?

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @teamacc said:
    Did your disk die, forcing them to replace it? If that, it was nice of them to already install an OS for you.

I'm seeing very little info about the actual issue they found.

Indeed. I'm also wondering whether Windows on the OP's server was licensed properly ...

Thanked by 1FHR
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

One could atleast expect a reply first where they explained what their action would and that you had to accept it before actually pushing the reinstall.

@Ewok said:
    It's windows. What do you expect.

Now that was a unnecessary comment.

Thanked by 2risharde corbpie
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

I would have been pissed that they couldn't let me know what they were going to do before reinstalling. No excuse for that imho.

• Scam.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

guess your Windows trial license was at his end. did you really expected qualified technical support for your monthly fee?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@FR_Michael said:
    guess your Windows trial license was at his end. did you really expected qualified technical support for your monthly fee?

If they pull more of such stunts they will quickly learn the cost of liability for loss of data.

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • I think the issue here is the lack of Windows license. The trial expired requiring a fresh reinstall. No biggie, they did you a favor by reinstalling it for you and setting it up to the point where you can restore your backups. If you had a valid windows license this wouldn't have happened.

• maybe also a problem with language again... so stating something in the ticket like having tried to use the reinstall function, but didn't work (just to let them know, that this wasn't available) which they might have understood wrong for a reinstall would have been wanted.

just guessing around, though. agreed that some more infos would have been helpful.

also reminds of the need to better state clearly in any tickets what action the provider would have to avoid without further clarification.

Thanked by 1FHR

@notdahartigan said:
    I think the issue here is the lack of Windows license. The trial expired requiring a fresh reinstall. No biggie, they did you a favor by reinstalling it for you and setting it up to the point where you can restore your backups. If you had a valid windows license this wouldn't have happened.

Trial is a trial. Once it expires you can't just re-install. That would be in breach of license, and hence theft.

• @Clouvider said:

@notdahartigan said:
    I think the issue here is the lack of Windows license. The trial expired requiring a fresh reinstall. No biggie, they did you a favor by reinstalling it for you and setting it up to the point where you can restore your backups. If you had a valid windows license this wouldn't have happened.

Trial is a trial. Once it expires you can't just re-install. That would be in breach of license, and hence theft.

Correct, which is the only way you could fix it. You couldn't reinstall and keep the user data so format and reinstall is the only way out of it.

If OP paid for a windows license this wouldn't have happened.

@notdahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

@notdahartigan said:

Correct, which is the only way you could fix it. You couldn't reinstall and keep the user data so format and reinstall is the only way out of it.

I disagree. The server should be booted in a recovery OS for the Customer to fix or if the Customer needs a re-install either an option to buy a license, and reinstall or a choice of other OS should be offered.

Thanked by 2Lee First-Root
  • @Clouvider said:

@notdahartigan said:

@Clouvider said:

@notdahartigan said:

I disagree. The server should be booted in a recovery OS for the Customer to fix or if the Customer needs a re-install either an option to buy a license, and reinstall or a choice of other OS should be offered.

I'm pretty certain Windows nags and provides the customer ample opportunity to do such. Correct me if I'm wrong..

If the time runs out the OS will cease to work, correct?

From a host's perspective you could either do what they did and set it up as new again (it would be a reimage really) or somehow force the customer to pay for Windows (which would be the legal thing to do).. correct me if I'm wrong though :) you do have a high level of knowledge of such things I'd imagine and I love an opportunity to learn something new especially if I'm wrong :)

Windows Server will shutdown automatically after 60 minutes runtime if no valid license is provided, enough time to deploy a valid license.

@Clouvider said:
    If they pull more of such stunts they will quickly learn the cost of liability for loss of data.

from my experience most insane low priced companies dies very soon when they realize that they don't generate upsells from dirty cheap customers and the reseller/datacenter pulls the plug as soon as the first invoices are unpaid. don't know if that's the case here as i don't know SerweryDedykowane.pl yet.

• They've apparently been in business since 2004 though?

Well, either way you get what you pay for, I suppose.

Thanked by 1First-Root

They are for quite a bit of time in the market.

From my understanding when I used to be their Customer personally many years back, it’s heir own DC, albeit it was severely flawed with significantly different standard tocwhat you’d normally expect, at least at the time.

Bottom line is as always, you get what you paid for.

Thanked by 1First-Root
  • What was the issue? I don't think this discussion should go further without knowing that

• Well if none of the control panel buttons work isn't that an indicator of something?

• I dont know what the issue was, doubt they did either. I just simply got a response with the new server password. It wasn't a windows trail issue, the server is licensed. Im not mad or anything it was just my ffmpeg server but still it sure is a different way to reboot a server