Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

cPanel Server Redundancy/Failover
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

cPanel Server Redundancy/Failover

I'm looking at setting up a small cPanel server for a few web projects I've been helping out on in my local area. I'm planning on setting up a cPanel server but want to have a failover node so if the server goes down then the users will automatically be re-directed to second server and continue as normal to keep downtime to an absolute minimum.

Has anyone got any advice on this kind of setup? Would I need to do it at DNS level and then have server 1 constantly syncing over to server 2 then if server 1 goes down the DNS will direct them to server 2?

Never looking at a HA solution before if I'm honest.

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

cPanel officially doesn't support this.

• cPanel won't do this out of the box

You'd need a virtual server in a HA environment and installing cPanel on that

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • EasedEased Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2018

Pretty much a completely unsupported configuration with cPanel. You can host DNS and databases separately fairly easily.

Honestly based on what you said I would recommend a cloud server and do nightly off-site backups. If stuff hits the fan, spinning up a new cPanel server and restoring accounts is quick and easy.

• SamPSamP Member
    edited February 2018

There is 'DR clone' feature in jetbackup which mirrors cpanel accounts to another cpanel server, but still you have to update the DNS when the live cpanel server goes down, or find an automated solution to do this.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Eased said:
    Pretty much a completely unsupported configuration with cPanel. You can host DNS and databases separately fairly easily.

Honestly based on what you said I would recommend a cloud server and do nightly off-site backups. If stuff hits the fan, spinning up a new cPanel server and restoring accounts is quick and easy.

As @lukehebb said, can be achieved in HA environment with DR built in the virtualisation layer. OnApp has some good tech around inter as well as intra site DR.

Thanked by 1lukehebb
  • Not a perfect solution but you can use AWS (EC2/Route53 failover/RDS with AZ failover) with a distributed fs like GlusterFS or sync mechanism such as lsyncd. Last time I checked cPanel didn't have native support for RDS MySQL.