Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Reuters] Walmart goes to the cloud to close gap with Amazon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Reuters] Walmart goes to the cloud to close gap with Amazon

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Pizza as a service! NEAT

• Those $5 pizzas next to the powered people movers for fatties aren't sitting there because it doesn't work..

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Walmart should use their brand to provide shitty shared hosting using their cloud platform. Imagine the amount of dumb small business owners who say "oh, Walmart hosting - that's a name i recognize"... same idea of Tesco having an MVNO in the UK.

• Need lidl hosting. Same great quality for a fraction of the price.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited February 2018

@Ewok said:
    Need lidl hosting. Same great quality for a fraction of the price.

Dominos Shared Hosting, subscribe to a yearly plan and get a .com domain name and pizza for free.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@NodeKid said:

@LordSpock said:
    Walmart should use their brand to provide shitty shared hosting using their cloud platform. Imagine the amount of dumb small business owners who say "oh, Walmart hosting - that's a name i recognize"... same idea of Tesco having an MVNO in the UK.

Asda surely (Walmart group).

Shoddy Wordpress installs on Asda hosting, the abject horror…

Smart Price hosting!

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • Not likely.

This just demonstrates it's the people who own the datacenters who get rich. It's the same reason owning a house is better then renting long term.

• @LordSpock said:
    Walmart should use their brand to provide shitty shared hosting using their cloud platform. Imagine the amount of dumb small business owners who say "oh, Walmart hosting - that's a name i recognize"...

>

The can buy Yahoo and revive Yahoo Hosting for the second decade in the 21st century.

• Oh my god tell me tis is a prank bros.
    This market is quite saturated.
    They could do it I meen Walmart has enough billions to do it and do it well if they higher the right people.

• omelasomelas Member
    edited February 2018

Walmart’s Kimmet said the retailer has no immediate plans to provide cloud services for other companies. But he did not rule it out as a future revenue driver.

It's about Walmart make datacenters for themselves, not about selling it.

• @beagle said:
    Could Walmart be a game changer on this market?

Dirt cheap lowest quality IT run by just one admin and a trainee and some headset guys in bangladesh? Yea, that always works out just great! Ask me about my employer...

But if they open it up to the public (like AWS) one day, I'm sure it will be a big hit on LET. I can already smell the complaints and chargebacks whenever a 5$/year service was not as perfect as a 50$/month service.

Thanked by 1Aidan