Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centos 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centos 6

rmsrms Member
edited February 2012 in Help

Was wondering if anyone knew how to use this? I've always been a fbsd guy but recently got a centos box - can anyone point me to tutorials or anything like how to get PHP 5.3.10 instead of the horrible outdated everything?

Very much appreciated

Comments

• @rms said: can anyone point me to tutorials or anything like how to get PHP 5.3.10 instead of the horrible outdated everything?

Insert Debian ISO, reformat. <_<

In all seriousness, sorry, I've always avoided CentOS.

• CentOS 5 ftw.

• @Aldryic said: Insert Debian ISO, reformat. <_<

I would, unfortunately it's not an option

(I'm a BSD guy myself but debian is quite acceptable)

• @rms said: how to get PHP 5.3.10

Compile from source

• dancom96dancom96 Member
    edited February 2012

@miTgiB said: Compile from source

Or install from an rpm.
    rpm -i http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/6/remi/i386/remi-release-6-1.el6.remi.noarch.rpm
    yum install php*

• @miTgiB said: Compile from source

apt-get install build-essential

how do i do that on yum ;-;

(also, why does yum just spit out a python traceback and then die?)

• @rms said: apt-get install build-essential

how do i do that on yum ;-;

If you want to install the main packages just to compile things use:

yum install make gcc gcc-c++ kernel-devel

If you want to install the "whole" package like build-essential use:

yum groupinstall “Development Tools”

I have done this before on centos, centos is a bit more confusing then debian if you start with debian.

• @rms there is also debian-kfreebsd, which is debian userland with a freebsd kernel.

Exaaactly n_n

What he said. CentOS 6's 5.3.3 isn't too bad. Compiling from source isn't as scary as you think it is. With decent CPU it can be done in just a few minutes.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Surprised nobody has mentioned the IUS repo.

http://iuscommunity.org/

The IUS Community Project is aimed at providing up to date and regularly maintained RPM packages for the latest upstream versions of PHP, Python, MySQL and other common software specifically for Redhat Enterprise Linux. IUS can be thought of as a better way to upgrade RHEL, when you need to.

A bunch of techs from Rackspace develop/maintain it. I've not had any problems using both their latest PHP and MySQLD packages on production gear.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • ZeroZero Member
    edited February 2012

I use the CentALT repository with PHP 5.3.10 and Apache 2.2.22.

• littleguylittleguy Member
    edited February 2012

Why would you run CentOS if you want bleeding edge packages?

You're doing it wrong - there are better distributions for when you want the latest. The stability of packages is the main point of running CentOS, imho. :)

• @littleguy said: The stability of packages is the main point of running CentOS

Welcome to the land of wheel re-invention.

• @Zero said: I use the CentALT repository with PHP 5.3.10 and Apache 2.2.22.

I also use CentALT for Apache 2.2.22, but for nginx CentOS systems I prefer compiling nginx and php from source - much faster keeping up to date with latest packages for nginx and php :)

• If your still looking for help, I just finished writing a tutorial on how to do this. I always forget and when install have to yum install and crap. I made this so I can do it quickly on the go. It is made for Nginx btw.

http://derekharget.com/2012/02/35/centos-install-php-5-3-10-php-fpm-from-source

Thanks