Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudron.io
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudron.io

Anyone still using Cloudron https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/110214/cloudron ?

Is it still worth to recommend it to someone with little to no tech background as before?

I was thinking of installing it for a friend and then giving him administrator access.. Would he able to manage the server direct from the admin panel?

Is it worth the $180 a year?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I still use it and pay for it. Worth every penny for me, it helps me actually use open source apps that I just don't have the time to be managing myself. Saves me from signing up for random services.

Thanked by 4caracal bersy Lee MCHPhil
  • @jarland said:
    I still use it and pay for it. Worth every penny for me, it helps me actually use open source apps that I just don't have the time to be managing myself. Saves me from signing up for random services.

In your opinion, can one administer the server without using any command line / SSH?

@caracal said:

@jarland said:

In your opinion, can one administer the server without using any command line / SSH?

Yes. I can't recall the last time I logged in that way, and it was really just to pick apart how their setup worked out of curiosity.

Thanked by 1caracal
  • @caracal said:
    Anyone still using Cloudron https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/110214/cloudron ?

Is it still worth to recommend it to someone with little to no tech background as before?

Yeah, I can't recall the last time I SSHed in as well. They have a DO referral link which for some reason is hidden in the docs - https://cloudron.io/documentation/installation/. That gives you a 2GB droplet for a month for free. You can install Cloudron on it and be in trial mode for unlimited time. So there is really no $$ cost to try...

Their upcoming feature is multi-domain support which I am very excited about!

• LeeLee Veteran

jarland said: it helps me actually use open source apps that I just don't have the time to be managing myself.

This, I use it in the same way, not sure whether I am just getting lazy but then it's not that I can't do it all myself, for $15 I am happy to pass it to someone else to manage for me, and they do. So worth the money.

Really need the multi-domain option though, it holds it and me back.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2018

I have tried cloudron back in the days that it was a fresh and free platform. Haven't used it since long ago, before they followed the paid model.
    But, why not use one of the free alternatives? Yunohost and sandstorm are pretty good, the latter one does have IIRC almost all the apps cloudron has and some more.

edited February 2018

jvnadr said: Yunohost

Strikes me as amateur. I totally realize this is perception, that I'm not qualified to audit the code of either. It's just... a good presentation suggests to my brain that you're putting more into it. Yunohost lacks some of the presentation. Pretty sure cloudron has WAY more updates too but it's been a while since I used yunohost. Won't say my thoughts are logical.

jvnadr said: sandstorm

I dunno, something about it turned me off but I can't recall it for the life of me.

• LeeLee Veteran

jvnadr said: But, why not use one of the free alternatives?

Call me old-fashioned but I like to incentivise people to care. Money does that.

Thanked by 2MikePT sarah