Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unable to install xrdp in Hetzner Cloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unable to install xrdp in Hetzner Cloud

Hi there,

I'm testing the Heztner Cloud machines since they're attractive in performance/price and the hourly billing is cool.

Well, I need to get xrdp working, thing that I've done several times on other VPSes.

apt-get install xfce4
apt-get install xrdp

Then I try to connect and I'm getting this:

I googled and tried some thing but nothing worked.

Really appreciate your help :)

Comments

• Finally found the solution.

If anyone's stuck on this:
    apt-get install xfonts-base

Thanked by 3Aidan Hetzner_OL MasonR
  • hetzner provide also windows iso usable with rdp with no problem :) I installed windows server 2016 without problem.

• @spywork said:
    hetzner provide also windows iso usable with rdp with no problem :) I installed windows server 2016 without problem.

I've tried it, but it doesn't recognise any drive in the installation so I can't continue

• spyworkspywork Member
    edited February 2018

@Vancete said:

@spywork said:
    hetzner provide also windows iso usable with rdp with no problem :) I installed windows server 2016 without problem.

I've tried it, but it doesn't recognise any drive in the installation so I can't continue

Ok, i try to explain how do. step by step.

First, Mount Windows Server Iso, I use Windows Server 2016 Iso English. After reboot vps with power cycle.
    Open console (near On-Off button in up right corner) for push button to start windows installation or boot linux distro. After choose language, accept eula ect.
    You need to select any disk, but no disk are recognized because need to load driver for scsi virtio disk.
    Go back to mount iso in hetzner, select "virtio 0.1.141-1 virtio-in-0.1.141.iso" and mount this, go to console and click on "Load Driver". Click on Browser and Search for virtio mounted disk "D:/" and in folder virtioscsi, win2k16, amd64 and click on next. (I load also driver for net card in NetKvm folder.)
    Now you see disk for install, delete system disk.
    Return to iso mount in Hetzner and mount Windows Server iso, return to console and hit Continue for finish installation.

Try and post here if you need some support for rdp :)

• REALLY appreciate your answer.

• after mount windows iso image, i click "powercycle" button under power menu..then open console, but I am only seeing linux login all the time, it does not go into windows installation, do I need to change any boot sequence anywhere? thanks

• Managed to open console right at the moment, but donot see the windows option to boot at all, what am I missing? wondering.

• @balaji_pitchumani said:
    Managed to open console right at the moment, but donot see the windows option to boot at all, what am I missing? wondering.

You need to click on console fast, after the power button become green. After you open console you see "Press any key for boot from CD or DVD..." you need to press key fast for no boot in linux.

• @balaji_pitchumani said:
    Managed to open console right at the moment, but donot see the windows option to boot at all, what am I missing? wondering.

You should open the console really fast after powering on the machine to see the CD/DVD boot option.

• HURRAY MANY THANKS..with my latency, was never getting it see it...now kept click any key in parallel to opening the console and caught finally ..now installing...MANY THANKS FRIENDS