Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wholesale Internet good/bad?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wholesale Internet good/bad?

FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

I'm looking for some unbiased reviews of Wholesale Internet.
I heard on some forums that the servers themselves are good, but network sucks. I'm sure many of you have a server with them, so would you please share your experience?

Comments

• If you're fine with Hurricane Electric, you'll be fine with Wholesale Internet

Thanked by 1FHR
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Aidan said:
    If you're fine with Hurricane Electric, you'll be fine with Wholesale Internet

Seems alright to me then.

• he.net is good.

• The network is fast, my man!

Well ... okay, usually.

I've had a couple servers WSI/nocix since last summer - happy with what I get for the price - great for testing and batch computing - but would not use for serious "needs 99.999% uptime" production. They've had a couple outages lasting well over an hour in the last six months I think due to power failure in their DC?

Thanked by 1FHR
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2018

@Aidan said:

I don't really get all of the HE hate. They're not the fastest, but they've got some pretty brilliant minds throttled behind their flapping routes.

WSI/Nocix has been on my "cheap and possibly dead in months" list for cheap/pointless tasks, and even a couple personal things, but when I found out what they did to a LETter without bothering to actually confirm statements made, they went into my circular filing basket.

Thanked by 2uptime FHR
  • MarionetteMarionette Member
    edited February 2018

FHR said: Seems alright to me then.

WSI goes down more often than HE.net in my experience. I dumped them for Hetzner since it was just back office functions like backups/etc.

• @WSS said:

@Aidan said:

I don't really get all of the HE hate. They're not the fastest, but they've got some pretty brilliant minds throttled behind their flapping routes.

>

I agree, HE is on par with cogent in my mind If not possibly even better. They appear to do good work and their backhaul has in my experience been very reliable. I believe it's a combination of non flashy site and old, long resolved issues that shakes their reputation. Personally I would be comfortable co locating at their DC(s)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

They are good at being cheap though!

It is an "it is what it is" service, if you expect more out of it you will only have yourself to blame for disappointment.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Who came up with that shit?

Nonsense.

Neoon said: Who came up with that shit?

Nonsense.

Jesus.

• Jesus like oh my God, or Jesus like Jesus came up with it?

jvnadr said: Jesus like oh my God, or Jesus like Jesus came up with it?

Both I guess.

• I've been with WSI for years and currently use them alongside a bunch of other providers in the EU. Their support and website is pretty bare bones but they get the job done.
    Uptime definitely isn't spotless in comparison to other hosts, but for the price you'd be a madman to complain.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Zen said:

Neoon said: Who came up with that shit?

Nonsense.

--faith;

Its like saying, its the current that kills, not the voltage.

Bullshit.

It does not apply to everything, maybe a fraction.

• I remained with them and they are good, their support is also very fast. The issue I got from them was that as they charge low prices they will not go out of the way.

Network yes some time it looses ping but overall the network is fine.

• Anyone have any uptime data?

• @Neoon said:
    Who came up with that shit?

Nonsense.

There is no room for "rage quit" in a Venn diagram.

• @AnthonySmith said:

It is an "it is what it is" service, if you expect more out of it you will only have yourself to blame for disappointment.

Fast and cheap but not good? What kind of bad hosting company doesn't oversell like crazy?

• @omelas said:
    Fast and cheap but not good? What kind of bad hosting company doesn't oversell like crazy?

Plenty of them here.

• RootFMRootFM Member
    edited February 2018

This picture is a good description of the provider's idea XD

@AnthonySmith said:

• AidanAidan Member
    edited February 2018

Bullshit.

Ah, so ESD is gonna kill me seeing as that's about ~1500-3500 volts.

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@Aidan said:

Bullshit.

> Ah, so ESD is gonna kill me seeing as that's about ~1500-3500 volts.

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Well, it IS a bullshit saying. There's no current without voltage. You need both high voltage and fairly high current in order to kill someone.

• @FHR said:

@Aidan said:

Bullshit.

> > Ah, so ESD is gonna kill me seeing as that's about ~1500-3500 volts.

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Well, it IS a bullshit saying. There's no current without voltage. You need both high voltage and fairly high current in order to kill someone.

Unless it's beneath the epidermis..

• @WSS said:
    Unless it's beneath the epidermis..

Or you're a lucky bastard like ElectroBOOM.

Thanked by 2WSS FHR
  • To be more accurate:

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • I've been with WSI for around half a year now and I've been pleased with the service for the price point. It's a non-critical service and has suited my needs very well. The effective unlimited bandwidth is extremely enticing and always keeps grip. While I don't need top tier bandwidth or even reasonably reliable bandwidth, I do need a lot of it. I will be migrating away to a dual KVM setup to consolidate some costs even further (I know, it's only $30/month) however. Overall, I give them two thumbs up for value and service.

Thanked by 2Aidan FHR