Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

setting up centos 7 on vnc
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

setting up centos 7 on vnc

ehabehab Member
edited February 2018 in Help

hi

i just noticed with 2 different providers that mount a centos 7 iso and setting it up via vnc gets stuck on "Setting up the installation environment". Previously it worked but now no go... size of vm is kvm-512 MB ram.

is this related to the intel patch i wonder or how to solve this problem now?

any help/advise appreciated. thanks in advance.

Comments

• That takes several minutes, because CentOS is scrub-tier for scrubs- especially with low RAM. Just be patient.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • started at 20:31

• "guns n roses just a little patience"

• 21:10 and same screen "Setting up the installation environment"

@WSS are you testing my patience?

• 21:43, this is unacceptable, i will shut it down and ask WHY before and now no.

• @ehab said:
    21:10 and same screen "Setting up the installation environment"

@WSS are you testing my patience?

Well, that's a bit long, but yeah I've had it sit for over half an hour before. Whatever it's doing now, well, is your poor choice of OS and whatever's going on with that KVM.

• same outcome from 2 providers, virmach and veesp. i opened a ticket with virmach and asked whats going on! i asked veesp to give me more ram for 1 day and the said foff.

centos 7 poor choice of OS? hmmm, i ended installing debian 9 on that veesp vm. What is common is they are both 512MB ram. What irritates me is i did it before and only now it hangs....

anyway, its bed time and better get some rest.

@WSS have a nice day/evening .

bye for now.

• @ehab said: i just noticed with 2 different providers that mount a centos 7 iso and setting it up via vnc gets stuck on "Setting up the installation environment". Previously it worked but now no go... size of vm is kvm-512 MB ram.

512MB RAM is/was the bare minimum for installing CentOS-7 from an ISO, and it's possible that this doesn't always work in practice. You really should think in terms of at least 1GB RAM for installing CentOS-7 from an ISO.

You'd have a much better chance with a template/image for CentOS-7.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Template should definitely work fine like angs said.

• @angstrom said:

@ehab said: i just noticed with 2 different providers that mount a centos 7 iso and setting it up via vnc gets stuck on "Setting up the installation environment". Previously it worked but now no go... size of vm is kvm-512 MB ram.

512MB RAM is/was the bare minimum for installing CentOS-7 from an ISO, and it's possible that this doesn't always work in practice. You really should think in terms of at least 1GB RAM for installing CentOS-7 from an ISO.

Pretty much this. Without having adequate RAM, shitty (if even active) swap, active X11, and a full rebuild/reset of the system while every single page needs to be paged out to swap, it's not going to be fast.

• WSS said: CentOS is scrub-tier for scrubs

Leave.

• @WSS said:

@angstrom said:

@ehab said: i just noticed with 2 different providers that mount a centos 7 iso and setting it up via vnc gets stuck on "Setting up the installation environment". Previously it worked but now no go... size of vm is kvm-512 MB ram.

Pretty much this. Without having adequate RAM, shitty (if even active) swap, active X11, and a full rebuild/reset of the system while every single page needs to be paged out to swap, it's not going to be fast.

Was just trying to help @ehab. (I wasn't proposing CentOS-7 to him as a good choice in this scenario.)

From what I've heard, if one is prudent, CentOS-7 can run with 512MB RAM, but it's the initial installation from an ISO that is especially demanding on RAM.

• @Aidan said:

WSS said: CentOS is scrub-tier for scrubs

Leave.

Scrub.

@angstrom said:
    From what I've heard, if one is prudent, CentOS-7 can run with 512MB RAM, but it's the initial installation from an ISO that is especially demanding on RAM.

The truth is, even half a gig is light, because CentOS is very RAM hungry, and it's tools are poorly written. If you have a tiny KVM and want to save RAM, CentOS is never the solution.

• @WSS said: @angstrom said: From what I've heard, if one is prudent, CentOS-7 can run with 512MB RAM, but it's the initial installation from an ISO that is especially demanding on RAM.

The truth is, even half a gig is light, because CentOS is very RAM hungry, and it's tools are poorly written. If you have a tiny KVM and want to save RAM, CentOS is never the solution.

Dude, I think that you and I completely agree about this!

I also suggested to @ehab to think in terms of 1GB RAM for CentOS-7, but 2GB RAM would be even safer.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ehabehab Member
    edited February 2018

before i managed to install centos 7 on a 512 MB with no problems... it only started now.. anyway thanks guys.... Hello Fedora server.