Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ EOL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ EOL

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hi,

I heard about that OpenVZ will be at the end of the year EOL because they only support 2.6 Kernel and it will not more developed. Are you planning to change to KVM?

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

OpenVZ will always choose the kernel to target. Eventually they will choose to start developing a patch for a later version.

I dont think this is a reason to switch technologies.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

OpenVZ will die, just mail them and ask. You will get it confirmed.

• What exactly do you mean by EOL and can you provide a link to this announcement? I don't see anything on the OpenVZ website.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think you might want to provide some additional source information @Infinity580 before you cause too many soiled undergarments.

edited September 2013

2.6 Linux Kernel is EOL at the end of the Year, almost 10 Years (released 2003). OpenVZ based on 2.6 Linux Kernel and they will not patch/upgrade it.
    So OpenVZ get not developed more, thats the point. LXC was released to replace OpenVZ, because the Kernel is just to old.

@Infinity580 said:
    2.6 Linux Kernel is EOL at then end of the Year, almost 10 Years (released 2003). OpenVZ based on 2.6 Linux Kernel and they will not patch/upgrade it.
    So OpenVZ get not developed more, thats the point.

Right... but where did you hear that OpenVZ will not either maintain their own or move to 3.x ?

• @Infinity580 said:
    OpenVZ will die, just mail them and ask. You will get it confirmed.

Provide a screenshot of said email?

I just jumped on the openvz forum, everything from the devs indicates they are moving to 3.x with the RHEL 7 kernel when released and until then they will backport and maintain their 2.6.32

So... I call BS :)

I dont mailed them direct, just talked with some know hosts (friends) and he said that i will be EOL , i know already couple of host that change from OpenVZ away they can also confirm this. BTW: Its not my imagination

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I guess RHEL 6 is far from EOL.
    Actually, even 5 is still widely used.

• smansman Member
    edited September 2013

Once again, other then hearing about it from some random guy who has nothing to do with the project, do you have any information from the actual developers?

• OVZ is far away from EOL and easily replaced by LXC with some workarounds - I don't see the issue, you can even continue to use (currently beta) vzctl to control the LXC...

edited September 2013

I just heard it, i was not going to say that its 100%. But it was obviously that it could be and got proof by some people. Just close the thread.

• Cool story.

• I believe they postponed the EOL on 2.6.32 earlier this year because it EOL'd already but a lot of people still used it.

Besides, OVZ is working on 3.x-kernel compatibility. Although they're not fast, they're working on getting everything to work with a vanilla kernel.

So, I highly doubt they will ever EOL.

• Fun fact,

Most of OVZ is already built into stock Linux 3.x kernel. Stock. Not custom but standard off the shelf 3.x linux kernel. That fact alone means the guy who started this thread who heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy who read it on a guys blog site that got it from some other blog site....is wrong.

http://openvz.org/Vzctl_for_upstream_kernel

• @jarland said:
    I heard from a guy that knows your mothers best friend's dog that you're full of shit.

Well you can't believe a guy who thinks dogs can talk.

2.6.32 is the specially designated enterprise branch of the Linux kernel (no really its true). They are not going to EOL it this soon.

• Cool story, bro. You can stop using OpenVZ if you want, but the rest of us are still going to continue using it as long as it's supported.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@sman said:
    Fun fact,

Yep, and let's not forget that virtuozzo is a huge commercial project with some very high profile clients. OpenVZ is nothing more or less than the foundation of virtuozzo.

• OpenVZ is the free version of Parallels Virtuozzo Containers. It will never die :) Stop talking non-sense.

• LowEndMisinformationAndEasiestWayToConfirmNoobs

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Infinity580 troll

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

hahaha
    so other people also float spam threads....

and astonishment, nobody commented...

any ways

@qhoster is correct...

• @sman said:
    Fun fact,

Most of OVZ is already built into stock Linux 3.x kernel. Stock. Not custom but standard off the shelf 3.x linux kernel. That fact alone means the guy who started this thread who heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy who read it on a guys blog site that got it from some other blog site....is wrong.

Another fun fact: that isn't OpenVZ, that's LXC (Linux' in-house OS-level virtualization project. Basically kernel backed OpenVZ alternative)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2013

@Frost said:
    Another fun fact: that isn't OpenVZ, that's LXC (Linux' in-house OS-level virtualization project. Basically kernel backed OpenVZ alternative)

I believe what he meant to reference was that vzctl now works with the mainline kernel, which is of course LXC backed. Although "works" is a relative term, I think 4.0 really gave us some insight into what openvz could be in the next few years. Although it's kernel modifications are fairly key, tomorrow always holds new things.

I could see one of the two projects eating the other in a year or so.