Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Small VM donation for new FOSS security software project
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Small VM donation for new FOSS security software project

xanthixanthi Member
edited September 2013 in Requests

Hi all,

I'm in the process of creating a new open source project related to security / two factor authentication.

In order to host the project's bug tracker (redmine) and svn repo I'm looking for any offers for a free (or highly subsidised) small instance VPS from a reputable host in return for contributor acknowledgement and some advertising space.

Spec would need to be 256-512MB RAM, minimal disk (10GB would be fine to start) and minimal bandwidth. VPN support (tun/tap) is essential. Virtualisation technology not important.

Interested parties, please feel free to contact me for more details on the project if you wish.

Many thanks

Edit: Location is important - Preferable UK/Germany, but other EU acceptable. USA will not be considered. Preference will be given to any provider also willing and able to offer significant discount on / donation of a .io domain.

Comments

• Why don't you use git and host it on GitHub or bitbucket? Just curious .. Hmm

• I agree with using bitbucket or GitHub since it will be a FOSS project to begin with.

You would need to provide more details before a provider would be willing to go out of their way to provision you free services / free domain.

"FOSS project related to security / two factor authentication" is rather vague

• @xanthi said:
    Interested parties, please feel free to contact me for more details on the project if you wish.

I don't believe donating the kind of resources I'm asking for to a project like this is a big request - it's a project that could benefit the entire LEB community and has a much wider catchment area. This means the potential for a lot of exposure and advertising in return for minimal ongoing investment. It's a mutually beneficial arrangement.

However, if I don't find a provider willing to assist I'm happy to invest in the infrastructure myself - even the cost of hosting on AWS would be minimal relative to the amount of time that has, and will continue to be invested in the project.

Regarding Github/Bitbucket - good suggestions, and if our workflow included git instead of SVN then I might be open to it. I don't see any value in changing our workflow to fit a distribution platform though.

The original plan was to host and distribute via Google Code, but I've now decided against this for various reasons.

• If a hosting provider gave away a free vps and domain to every person who came along saying they are working on a project like yours, they would end up bankrupt with nothing to show for it.

It's very easy to say you will be making this and making that, but can you prove or even guarantee any of it?

• If there's a provider who demonstrates genuine interest in the project then yes, I'd be happy to demonstrate the project so far.

I'm well aware that resources have value and wouldn't expect any provider to agree to provide them at no cost without satisfying themselves with the details of the project first. I am, however, surprised that the feeling I'm getting from the LEB community so far is very dismissive.

• PM me the project details please...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@xanthi said:
    If there's a provider who demonstrates genuine interest in the project then yes, I'd be happy to demonstrate the project so far.

I'm well aware that resources have value and wouldn't expect any provider to agree to provide them at no cost without satisfying themselves with the details of the project first. I am, however, surprised that the feeling I'm getting from the LEB community so far is very dismissive.

I'm surprised as well. PM me if you don't find a home for the project sometime today. I'll sponsor a vps. I'm not sure about a .io domain I seem to recall those being fairly expensive.

• I can't help but say that I have to agree with the others. Google Code, SourceForge, Project Locker, and a few others offer SVN hosting for free. I think GitHub and Bitbucket are tons better, but if you insist on using SVN, the options are there.

• I did send you a PM, but you never got back to me with the project details. Sounds sketchy.

• Apologies - thought I'd replied to you earlier. PM sent.

• awsonawson Member
    edited September 2013
  • As said already, I don't see much benefit of Subversion compared with distributed revision control systems (Git, Mercurial, Bazaar).

Subversion free hosting options, save FOSS farms such as SourceForge, include Assembla, CloudForge (nee Codesion), myVersionControl, ProjectLocker and Unfuddle, to start with.

I would also recommend building the latest, your own Subversion installation, since it contains quite a number of improvements.

Also, perhaps better approach is to perform fundraising/find sponsors, who would pay for your hosting needs. In that case you could find VPS/whatever in a country/jurisdiction of your choice (using facility such as Bahnhof).

If not top secret, why not using the mentioned free SVN hosting choices?

• @Master_Bo said:
    In that case you could find VPS/whatever in a country/jurisdiction of your choice (using facility such as Bahnhof).

Good luck with that. Bahnhof isn't going to throw away free shit at him for this project, no way. Do you know how expensive it is to run shit in Sweden? I suppose not.

• @Master_Bo said:
    Also, perhaps better approach is to perform fundraising/find sponsors, who would pay for your hosting needs. In that case you could find VPS/whatever in a country/jurisdiction of your choice (using facility such as Bahnhof).

@blergh_ You missed the first sentence.